Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> £120m Gorbals Regeneration Plan, Ambitious Plan Approved
Rate the subject of this story
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total registered members' Votes: 19
Guests cannot vote 
GG
post 8th Feb 2007, 10:39pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Glasgow City Council have approved a £120m plan by former Celtic director Willie Haughey to redevelop a gap site near to his birthplace. The ambitious plan involves the creation of a 60 bedroom hotel, 600 homes and office space at a site near to the Gorbals.

The council estimates that the proposals will create 2,000 jobs in what is officially being described as a vibrant quarter.

A related plan to demolish two tower blocks in the area and build almost 1,800 homes were also approved. The Laurieston Development Strategy will see the demolition of the two high-rise blocks at Stirlingfaulds Place in the coming months. Follow-up work on the construction of the new homes is expected to begin early next year. Retail, commercial and community facilities will also be built in the surrounding area.

It is hoped that the proposals will complete the full regeneration of the Gorbals area, once one of the most deprived housing areas in the city.

Rate this story now...

Photo shows The Gorbals: one of the last tenements in front of the type of high flats to be demolished.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Feb 2007, 12:25pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Just imagine the grand place the Gorbals would still be if they had simply sandblasted those beautiful old tenements and modernised them inside. They threw the baby out with the bathwater as usual.
sad.gif Worst of all they destroyed the wonderful community which lived there but what's new eh.

+Quote Post
Java
post 12th Feb 2007, 03:07pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Couldn't agree more, Melody...even as it now stands, the old tenement in the picture is in a different class to the boxes behind it.. biggrin.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Feb 2007, 03:16pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Absolutely Java, imagine thinking that people with young families would be happy living in filing cabinets. sad.gif Never mind the fact that they are such eyesores.

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 18th Feb 2007, 01:35pm
Post #5

Visitor
Member No.: 3,416
Yes. I can remember the filth, squallor, degredation, poverty, drunkenness, crime and abuse that went with the Gorbals. As to why the "City Fathers" were never jailed for allowing humans to live in such conditions is a cause for question.

In all honesty I cannot imagine as to why anyone would want to perpetuate such inhuman horrors as was inflicted on those poor peoples. For make no mistakes. The Gorbals were a blight on society and the unfortunates who were forced by circumstances way beyond their control had little or no say about how they had to live. But to remove those unfortunates from the vermin ridden slums and stick them into tall boxes without character was just as evil as leaving the Gorbals standing. I cannot help but ask the question would the corporation have moved it's lethargic body to help alleviate the misery of the people from the Gorbals had not the world found out about Glasgows shame
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
One of lifes chosen. I am a Scot

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 19th Feb 2007, 12:35pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
Oh my Glenafton, you have insulted some very wonderful and proud people, me for instance and my family. I was brought up on Crown Street in the Gorbals during the 40s and 50s. We were NOT, I repeat NOT vermin infested. Our home was immaculate and my sister and I were kept immaculate. My upbringing in the Gorbals was one of joy. At no time did I feel uncomfortable about my surroundings or did I feel afraid to walk on the street. Were you brought up in a two beedroom, with an inside toilet? I was..... I hope you did not intend to insult some very hard working people. By the way, my schooling was also received in the Gorbals and I have had one of the most wonderful careers a person could ask for. Perhaps some others will feel as I do. Jaybee

This post has been edited by jaybee: 19th Feb 2007, 12:39pm

+Quote Post
Java
post 19th Feb 2007, 12:52pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Thanks, Jaybee, for giving the other side. Not being born in the Gorbals, it's perhaps not my place to comment. However, my family have very happy memories of life in what I imagine were similar tenements in Govan.....poor isn't a synonym for dirty.... biggrin.gif

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 19th Feb 2007, 01:27pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
No, thank you Java. I am afraid at times we Gorbalites get our backs up with statements like Glenafton made, yes there was poverty but I would think that this poverty was all over Glasgow at the time. I really do not know how our parents survived what with sirens going off during the night, having to lift children out of their sleep and run to to nearest shelter and often times not getting in. With rationing. A quarter pound of mince would have to feed at least four people. Can you imagine a man coming home from work and having to share a quarter pound of mince with three others these days? I was also very familiar with Govan. My first job was on Helen Street in Govan. Jaybee

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 20th Feb 2007, 10:41am
Post #9

Visitor
Jaybee,
Please read my statement again and I think that you will find that at no time have I insulted nor tried to insult the peoples of the Gorbals. That a lot families lived in squallor,filthy housing that was not fit for animals,were often the victims of drunken men,and sometimes women and had a notorious crime rate is a matter of documented history. But I repeat that I did not insult those unfortunates that were wrongly deprived of the basics of life. I did not insult them for coming from the Gorbals and I never alluded that all those who lived there were vermin ridden. Remember that rats,mice and cockroaches are vermin and they were abundant in the slums as they are in all slums. That is not the fault of those that lived there. I did however and I make no apologies for doing so condemmened the City Fathers for allowing such conditions to exist for such a long long time. They are the ones that I would point out to the world. They are the ones that I would hold to account for their lack of humanity. They were the ones that were content to live their very comfortable lives far from the Gorbals. Not for them was the overcrowding,the smell from blocked sewage pipes,the dampness of the so called houses that helped contribute to a high infancy mortality rate. These Jaybee were what your fellow humans were subjected to. That I get angry at society for allowing such crimes to exist,for make no mistake the poverty of some of these people was a crime,I freely admit. That you should take my condemnation of this neglect as a personal attack was unintended. My ire is only directed at those who allowed this slum to exist. For those that have never seen some parts of the area may I suggest that they view the photographs on the Virtual Mitchell site. They are quite graphic and show what people were forced to live in because of apathy on the part of the Corporation. There is a famous/infamous picture of children in Shamrock Street that was taken in 1949 that portrays fully some of the facts that I have tried to convey.

This post has been edited by glenafton: 20th Feb 2007, 11:26am

--------------------

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 20th Feb 2007, 06:40pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks for your reply Glenafton. Photographs only show part of a story, not the complete story. Yes there were slums but not all of the people who lived in the Gorbals lived in such conditions. When I read your first posting it read to me that you were painting the whole of the Gorbals with the same brush. Don't forget that when there is a disaster you only see the pictures of the horrible parts, not the good parts. We were quite a poor household but my father worked his backside off to give us a decent life. During the war he was on home guard so at night he would be out during air raids and was expected to show up for work on time the next day. If my memory serves me right, he could be jailed for not showing up. He was and always will be my hero. I am not sure how old you are or what part of Glasgow you were brought up in but in the war days housing was not easy to come by. Anyway, thanks for the response but I still do not completely agree with you. What I experienced and what you have heard are perhaps two very different stories. Jaybee

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 21st Feb 2007, 10:52am
Post #11

Visitor
Jaybee,
I fully agree that photographs will at the best of times show only a part of a story and I doubt that anyone could or would ever relate the whole the whole story of the Gorbals but the pictures do what they were intended to do and that is to show some of the horrors that were inflicted on these poor people. That areas of the Gorbals were not the delapidated slums that were to be found in some parts is of course true as not even the Glasgow Corporation in all it's lethargic best could have been allowed to let such conditions exist. Like you Jaybee I lived through the horrors and restricted conditions of the war and could not under any circumstances be considered wealthy. Not that there were too many wealthy people who lived in Maryhill at that time. Father was not the breadwinner in our family that fell to my mother as my father had a nice easy job sitting in the tail of a Lancaster bomber. So like you Jaybee I knew hard times. But although I could not be considered an expert on the Gorbals I did have friends who lived there and I did in reality see the misery that was allowed to be inflicted on the unfortunates who had to exist there. Unfortunately I am not clever nor learned enough to describe accurately the squallor that existed in these places but perhaps I may have influenced some of those who read these posts to investigate for themselves the conditions that society allowed to exist. That you do not fully agree with me is not important. What is of consequence is that we have exchanged ideas and mayhap learned something from each other. If we were to agree on every statement we then become a mutual admiration society that achieves absolutely nothing.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marydee
post 21st Feb 2007, 11:23pm
Post #12

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
If you lived in the better houses in the Gorbals you were lucky because for the majority it was 12 houses up a four storey close with a one room and kitchen on either side of a single-end and occupants sharing outside lavatories on the landings. From the 19th Century to the beginning of the 20th when Glasgow shone as the 'Second City of the Empire' the poorest of the working classes occupied housing that was hastily contructed to shelter the mass influx of workers who serviced Glasgow's rapidly expanding manufacturing industries. This housing was designed, divided, located, and constructed to realise as much profit as possible for the private investors who used The Factor to administer the collection of rents, letting and eviction. This was the kind of housing that gave the Gorbals its' reputation as a slum. Although Glasgow is reputed to have adopted a municipal role quicker that any other city with water, gas, hospitals, wash-houses and trams coming under the Corporation's remit they were slower than most to provide public housing. When you have poor housing it tends to be occupied by the poorest in our society and we all know in terms of power they do not really matter, out of sight out of mind. I agree with you Glenafton for even in these early days of Glasgow's development when people were suffering and dying from the conditions that resulted from overcrowding, disease and decay the Corporation were putting the finishing touches to Kelvingrove Park, the City Chambers and the Kibble Palace. Many of these slum houses remained part of the private rental market well into the 60's where a character reference was still required, along with the obligatory bribe called 'key money' as the only way to secure a tenancy. I remember my brother's first home as a room and kitchen with a black iron sink, no hot water tank at all so no possibility of installing an immersion heater or of heating water with the two coal fires.

+Quote Post
glenafton
post 22nd Feb 2007, 11:16am
Post #13

Visitor
Marydee,
You have in just a few words summed up mans inhumanity towards his fellow man. Since time immemorial the "Haves" have exploited the "Have Nots". The quest for that extra quid was more important than the poor people they were depriving. Often the justification was that it was more important that a better lifestyle for them and their family was worth the hardship caused to the poor. So what if the house was unfit for human habitation,that a toilet,when it worked,was shared by four or more families,that the houses were rotten with damp and were affecting peoples health. But what if a few of those persons died? There were plenty more to fill the gaps that they left behind. Why is it that poverty was,and I suppose still is regarded by some,a crime. Not everyone had an opportunity or sometimes the ability to become one of the white collar brigade,and for this they had to exist under such terrible condidions. I was reading a paper published by the Evening Times showing important events in Glasgow's history. There was a picture in the paper showing Elizabeth of England touring the Gorbals. Part of her itinary was a visit to a home. A cameraman caught Elizabeth at a perfect moment. The look of absolute disgust on her face was worth more than a thousand words. Did she,I wonder head straight back to her hotel for a hot bath and to burn her clothes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
marina
post 5th Mar 2007, 02:01pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
my father in law comes from the gorbals (kidston st) and the place is looking good but i drove through polmadie last week and its a mess, but i think this will extend to there as well

--------------------
Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
Melody
post 6th Mar 2007, 06:55am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry ah jist have to say could ye no jist eat they weans. smile.gif Ah'd have tae gie them a wee wash first right enough. We seem to be talking about two different things here, the wonderful resilient community which was the Gorbals and the horrific housing conditions in which they were expected to live. Jist look at they weans, does yer heart good, muck or no muck.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Aug 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.