Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Knightswood Hospital - Second World War, Do you have any Memories
*West ender*
post 31st May 2007, 09:53am
Post #16

Hi there.
Stobhill hospital still stands, and in fact, biggrin.gif I attend as an out patient. The hospital is in the North of the City at Balornock road,not too far from Bishopbriggs.
Loved the pictures of Knightswood hospital too! I lived in Hermitage avenue and our back garden looked directly onto the hospital ground... from the early sixties until I got married in the late eighties.
My mother is still living there to this day ,and of course she now looks onto those new houses at Academy Park.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Maggie M
post 10th Nov 2011, 07:21pm
Post #17

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,146
Hi Tassie
I have only just discovered your correspondence regarding Knightswood Hospital in 1940/41.
I am also helping to compile my family history and was surprised to find the photograph of the nurses at the hospital - one of them is my late aunt! I have the same photo and about 18 more of the staff and patients in the hospital grounds.
It has been over five years since the last posting so I look forward to hearing from you to exchange more information.
Maggie M

+Quote Post
benny
post 11th Nov 2011, 01:00am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Tassie remarked that the different headgear of one of the nurses in the bigger photo might mean she was the matron,, but I think it's more likely she was a nursing sister - a cut above your ordinary nurse, but not as exalted as the matron. The matrons I remember usually wore caps similar to the nurses, but with additions of lace embroidery but that was in Stobhlll Hospital round about 1957.

I was a patient in Knightswood Hospital in 1966 - yes, that infamous year which we are never allowed to forget. biggrin.gif As I remember, the wards were single level, bungalow type constructions.
At the time I was a patient, there was an old soldier there who had fought in the Boxer Rebellion in China at the the end of the 19th century. Donald would have been in his 80's then, and I used to sit spellbound by his stories. Living history.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
*slangevar@lizzy.com*
post 1st Aug 2017, 10:44pm
Post #19

I remember fondly doing my nurse's training back in the early 1970's We had to train at Garnavel General and Royal, the Western Infirmary and went out to Knightswood Hospital for Geriatric training. The atmosphere there was so different to the big teaching hospitals - shame its gone.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.