Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lewis's : Is It The Same One ?, shops
*Cathy Costello*
post 7th Jun 2011, 03:03pm
Post #61

Hi everyone who remembers Lewis's, Argyle Street, Glasgow. I too, worked there from 1974. I am sure we all share in the laughs and sadness. I enjoyed reading your memories, thank you. biggrin.gif
'Skittery Winter' was when the manager of the store came in deliberately late on the first day of trading after the New Year and walked up the escalator and was 'skerricked' by all of the staff. Pots, pans, hangers, whistles, anything you could lay your hands on that would make a noise was used for this purpose and it was brilliant! A great way to start a new year and it got the staff off to dealing with the cleaning and readying of the dreaded January Sale!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
campsie
post 13th Jul 2011, 05:00am
Post #62

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
I worked in Lewis's in Argyle Street around 1965-1967, my cousin's husband also worked there he was a carpenter called George Monaghan. Mr Sargent was the general manager. It was'nt bad just wished there had been more young people working there instead of the old biddies in ladies fashion department.

+Quote Post
*Pauline Cormack*
post 30th Aug 2011, 05:08pm
Post #63

Hi

Does anyone remember my Aunt Monica Boni . She used to work in Lewis's during the 50's I think

Pauline Cormack

+Quote Post
battlestarone
post 18th Jan 2012, 11:58pm
Post #64

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,334
QUOTE (alison.mc @ 3rd Jun 2010, 07:12pm) *
Hi
I also worked in Lewis's not to be confused with JLP. Lewis's was a Glasgow landmark for generations. I remember being taken there as a child by my Gran every week which was a real treat. Anyone over the age of 30 who was brought up in Glasgow would have visited Santa's Grotto at Lewis's. Christmas was a very majical time in the store as the third floor stockroom was transformed, by our very talented display team, into a fabulous wonderland. The faces of the children just lit up when they seen the fantastic animated characters all the way through the grotto and then they finally got to meet Santa, collect their toy and have their picture taken. People would come from all over to see the Chritmas window displays and the parade through the city when Santa was arriving at Lewis's (I remember a very young Carole Smillie travelling with Santa in his horse drawn carriage). I started as a Christmas temp. in the toy department in 1977 and was one of the last to leave when the store sadly closed down in1991. I still remember my staff number 220289. It was a fantastic place to work as we had a lot of fun as well as getting the job done. I no longer live in Glasgow however I have visited the store once or twice since Debenhams took it over. I must admit that the standards have dropped dramatically since the heyday of Lewis's and I wouldn't cross the street now to go in. I much prefer House of Fraser which has a similar feel to the old Lewis's store. I did love working there and still miss it almost 20 years later. Sadly the last Lewis's store in Liverpool has just closed and I sympathise with the staff. It is indeed the end of an era.

worked in lewis,s also from xmas 89 till its close in around july 91,my wife also worked there from 87 till close,she worked in he toys on the 5th level,does anyone remember wee liz from toys and brian from pre retail,we both got to gether at the closing night in sloans,married 20 years now,it was a great place to work and i have never had a job since that i can say i really enjoyed going into the mornings,there was something about the place,remember the day the doors did not open and we were told the bank had withheld funds,it was a terrible time,there were people that had worked in there since they were 15yrs old and had over 40 years service,they lost everything,horrific time for many,,,debenhams never came near to the class of lewis,s and its staff,,,,great days.

+Quote Post
*Johnny Earlie*
post 11th Oct 2012, 05:03pm
Post #65

Does anyone remember my grandmother Mary Bain she managed the resteraunt??
Ta

+Quote Post
*WeeGavin*
post 4th Dec 2012, 09:46am
Post #66

I have great memories of Lewis's. I was born in 1977 so I was a fan and devotee of 'Level 5: Toys' for years. remember the plastic paddling pool with the wind up bath toys in it? the rows of 'Star Wars' and 'He-Man' figures? The huge, stuffed camels and giraffes near the lifts?

The food hall was equally special.

I was no idea Lewis's closed in the way that it did. I often go into Debenhams for nostalgic reasons, but it just isn't the same. I loved that place. I hope all who used to work there are well and thankyou for making it a dream world when I was a wee boy.

Oh and I almost forgot - Lewis's windows at Christmas. Does anyone have any photos of these, or, indeed, of the level 5 toy department?

+Quote Post
*Duns Stoshious*
post 11th Dec 2012, 12:35am
Post #67

QUOTE (benny @ 17th Sep 2010, 10:42pm) *
I think you may be referring to the tradition of "Skittery Winter". This was prevalent in some parts of Scotland, and is just what you described - getting jeered if you were "last in " at anything at the end of the year. You were supposed to be late in everything for the next 364 days if you were the "Skittery Winter".

Skittery Winter was common in Clyde Side ship yards. I copt it once. Not fun.

+Quote Post
**james1947**
post 22nd Nov 2014, 01:20pm
Post #68

I have fond mermories of Lewis' s, born in Shields Rd Kinning Park, I was taken to Lewis' s on saturdays down to the cafe in the basement for a knickerbockerglory...on special occasions, my parents would take me to the silver service resturant on the top? floor. I was allowed to wander round the toy floor whilst they did shopping which was a wonderland to me....and, if I was lucky or perhaps if I had been good all week, they would buy a small toy (usually a small toy soldier or knight in armour) for me. Later, In my teens the music dept in the basement wss the place to go..into the listening booths to hear the latest '45rpm...I also frequented the hairdresser's which if I remember was on the 2nd floor then home for tea then off to the Locarno or Majestic to (hopefully) get a lumber...great days gone but not surpassed by what is now a pale shadow called Debhanams....

+Quote Post
battlestarone
post 8th Jul 2015, 05:48pm
Post #69

Unpacking
Member No.: 12,334
QUOTE (alison.mc @ 3rd Jun 2010, 09:04pm) *
Hi
I also worked in Lewis's not to be confused with JLP. Lewis's was a Glasgow landmark for generations. I remember being taken there as a child by my Gran every week which was a real treat. Anyone over the age of 30 who was brought up in Glasgow would have visited Santa's Grotto at Lewis's. Christmas was a very majical time in the store as the third floor stockroom was transformed, by our very talented display team, into a fabulous wonderland. The faces of the children just lit up when they seen the fantastic animated characters all the way through the grotto and then they finally got to meet Santa, collect their toy and have their picture taken. People would come from all over to see the Chritmas window displays and the parade through the city when Santa was arriving at Lewis's (I remember a very young Carole Smillie travelling with Santa in his horse drawn carriage). I started as a Christmas temp. in the toy department in 1977 and was one of the last to leave when the store sadly closed down in1991. I still remember my staff number 220289. It was a fantastic place to work as we had a lot of fun as well as getting the job done. I no longer live in Glasgow however I have visited the store once or twice since Debenhams took it over. I must admit that the standards have dropped dramatically since the heyday of Lewis's and I wouldn't cross the street now to go in. I much prefer House of Fraser which has a similar feel to the old Lewis's store. I did love working there and still miss it almost 20 years later. Sadly the last Lewis's store in Liverpool has just closed and I sympathise with the staff. It is indeed the end of an era.

You must have known Liz Mcgown or wee Liz who worked there on the 5th floor till it closed,then went onto work in the new store,i worked in pre retail,,,me and Liz ended up getting married 10 months after the closing night,,,about 24 yrs now,time fly,s,,,,sometime i used to see wee Robert from the loading bay around Glasgow,,i still keep in touch with Kathrine from pre retail via facebook....been looking for other member of staff that were there a closing but there is not much info around .........it was a great place to work.............me and liz,,,married 23 years now.,,,sadly there will be many great people that worked there that will no longer grace this earth.

+Quote Post
*Dancing Brave*
post 18th Jul 2015, 04:45pm
Post #70

QUOTE (battlestarone @ 19th Jan 2012, 12:06am) *
worked in lewis,s also from xmas 89 till its close in around july 91,my wife also worked there from 87 till close,she worked in he toys on the 5th level,does anyone remember wee liz from toys and brian from pre retail,we both got to gether at the closing night in sloans,married 20 years now,it was a great place to work and i have never had a job since that i can say i really enjoyed going into the mornings,there was something about the place,remember the day the doors did not open and we were told the bank had withheld funds,it was a terrible time,there were people that had worked in there since they were 15yrs old and had over 40 years service,they lost everything,horrific time for many,,,debenhams never came near to the class of lewis,s and its staff,,,,great days.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 16th Nov 2016, 11:02pm
Post #71

I remember the magical Christmas windows displays. I wondered whether anyone else remembers that Santa used to come out onto a balcony and wave to the people at Christmas time.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.