Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

117 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Coronovirus?, How it spreads!
Dave Grieve
post 5th Mar 2020, 06:51pm
Post #46

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
10 or 12 years ago I had a hip replacement. It was only much later I found out that in the same hospital there was an Ebola Virus patient from Zambia.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
beth
post 5th Mar 2020, 06:58pm
Post #47

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
Dave as long as there are no panic situations, and we take the necessary precautions, all will be well. Folk just need to stop kissing, cuddling and shaking hands every two minutes

+Quote Post
taurus
post 5th Mar 2020, 08:19pm
Post #48

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
going shopping this morning,the check out chick in Woolies wont be getting her usual kiss and cuddle ,...as if.. sometimes it`s hard to get a smile out of them. !

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 5th Mar 2020, 10:15pm
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
So Coronavirus has come to Scotland. Yesterday Nicola Sturgeon said Scotland is well prepared to deal with this. Really? What does that mean?

On a UK level, advice is being given to people on their financial position if they self impose staying off work because they think they are showing symptoms of Coronavirus.

The one thing missing from my above two paragraphs is that there has been no input from the UK medical profession. The medical professionals and their support staff are finding it impossible to keep up with the demands put on them by the people of the UK, without Coronavirus. They are already well past being stretched to the limit by the sheer volume of work being placed upon them 24 hours a day.

Last year there were about 1100 drug related deaths in Scotland, The greatest proportion of them being in the West of Scotland. We also have an obesities crisis on our hands. I suppose this is what Nicola Sturgeon means when she says we are well prepared.

It is also worth mentioning to our overseas readers that part of Nicola Sturgeon’s constituency is Govanhill. It is infested with rats and various other vermin. The garbage bins left in the streets are overflowing. In some other areas of Glasgow, the refuse collection service is abysmal

The advice we have received from the politicians is to wash our hands!

I am certain that many workers in the NHS, must be shaking their heads at the politicians of this country.

Danny

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Mar 2020, 04:10am
Post #50

City Key Holder
same with this country,the PM tells us go about your business,go on holiday and spend money in the places that are suffering hardship,"we are well prepared for a pandemic ". Really ?? today, health care workers ,doctors, a schoolboy which shut down a whole school and an 8 mnth old baby,our PM is just trying to boost morale.I washed the handle of the trolley in Woolies today with the wet wipes they provide. For 3 years I see myself being the only one to do this,but today was surprised to see every other person who walked in went and used a wipe. Sad that it takes a world crisis,but at least it`s happening. Just living in hope as we all are.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 6th Mar 2020, 09:01am
Post #51

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
This virus now has its first case in SA.

There seems to be no way to halt its spread!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 6th Mar 2020, 06:07pm
Post #52

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
During, what we all recognise is a serious situation, I welcome the medical advice given by professional staff. I'm not very convinced about the big "wash your hands" campaign, my feeling is it's just giving people something to focus on, but that's just my opinion.

What I don't welcome is the constant and repeated TV news, giving us blow by blow accounts of who has been tested positive and where. Pretty soon they will have folk going round, painting crosses on the doors of those affected. I also don't welcome the stupid reports on TV news about shops running out of food, toilet paper, hand sanitiser and today, it's cleaning products. Completely and utterly irresponsible angry.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 6th Mar 2020, 06:30pm
Post #53

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (ashfield @ 6th Mar 2020, 06:07pm) *
During, what we all recognise is a serious situation, I welcome the medical advice given by professional staff. I'm not very convinced about the big "wash your hands" campaign, my feeling is it's just giving people something to focus on, but that's just my opinion.

What I don't welcome is the constant and repeated TV news, giving us blow by blow accounts of who has been tested positive and where. Pretty soon they will have folk going round, painting crosses on the doors of those affected. I also don't welcome the stupid reports on TV news about shops running out of food, toilet paper, hand sanitiser and today, it's cleaning products. Completely and utterly irresponsible :angry:

Ash, I completely agree with your above post.

I think that one of the downsides of modern digital technology is that scare stories can go Global instantly.

Danny

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 6th Mar 2020, 06:59pm
Post #54

Mega City Key Holder
Human beings are strange creatures. Throughout the centuries, mankind has been faced with various epidemics, which caused the deaths of billions of people. I think it is reasonable to say that during the twentieth century, the advancement in medical science was significant. I recall, when children were prone to diseases like the measles, scarlet fever, whooping cough etc. Then there was tuberculosis, smallpox. I think it was in the late 1950’s when Lascar merchant seamen came to Glasgow and caused a smallpox scare. This resulted in the death of some of the medical staff at the Royal Infirmary.
Let’s not forget polio.

At that time, we were unaware of the magnitude of these afflictions throughout the world, on a daily basis.

Having eradicated many of these afflictions, or lessened their threat to humans, what do we find?
The growing number of people living to a ripe old age, has become a problem! Without bringing politics into it, politicians across the board have made that claim. So as someone who is now 88, I would just like to say to politicians of all parties. Don’t bother finding a vaccine to eliminate Coronavirus. You have a ready made solution to the age problem.

Danny

+Quote Post
zascot
post 6th Mar 2020, 07:12pm
Post #55

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
On the lighter side I remember when we had the SARS virus, my partner and I got back to the office from a business trip and the first thing our company accountant said was that he thought SARS was going to give us a big problem. We both looked at each other and that guilty feeling went through us both. Let me explain, she was talking about the SARS virus we thought she was talking about SARS (South African Revenue Services) ie the dreaded tax man. At least this new one was given a sensible name.😁😂

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 6th Mar 2020, 09:33pm
Post #56

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (zascot @ 6th Mar 2020, 07:12pm) *
On the lighter side I remember when we had the SARS virus, my partner and I got back to the office from a business trip and the first thing our company accountant said was that he thought SARS was going to give us a big problem. We both looked at each other and that guilty feeling went through us both. Let me explain, she was talking about the SARS virus we thought she was talking about SARS (South African Revenue Services) ie the dreaded tax man. At least this new one was given a sensible name.😁😂

Hello Zascot. So you are also a musician. On the fiddle were you?

Danny

+Quote Post
taurus
post 6th Mar 2020, 10:55pm
Post #57

City Key Holder
Remember when the AIDS virus was first announced,people wouldn`t sit next to other people on the bus thinking their sweat would contaminate them. There always will be something to wipe out the population one way or another,but this unforseen enemy now is the social media,the fear it`s spreading is as bad as the virus,(well,making it even harder to live with ).

+Quote Post
wombat
post 6th Mar 2020, 11:14pm
Post #58

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
QUOTE (taurus @ 6th Mar 2020, 10:55pm) *
Remember when the AIDS virus was first announced,people wouldn`t sit next to other people on the bus thinking their sweat would contaminate them.

rolleyes.gif you would be as safe as the bank of england sitting next to prince andrew then laugh.gif

tongue.gif oops wrong thread

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
zascot
post 7th Mar 2020, 04:33am
Post #59

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
QUOTE (DannyH @ 6th Mar 2020, 10:33pm) *
Hello Zascot. So you are also a musician. On the fiddle were you?

Danny

Honest as the day is long. Always volunteer to pay extra tax.😁 Having our own business we get regular tax audits and have not failed one,but when you see 5 or 6 people walk through your door caarying laptops unannounced the nerves wobble. Retired now so just get my dividends. Always said I wished I was paying double the tax, that would mean I was making double the money

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 7th Mar 2020, 06:09pm
Post #60

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I was in my local supermarket today. To be honest I rarely go on a Saturday because it is just too busy, but I had to go.

Well you wouldn’t believe it but the place was packed. No sign of anyone avoiding public places or large crowds.

I had a wee laugh as I walked my trolley back to the car, see we Scots are feert fae nabdy sure we’re no? clap.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post

117 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th Jul 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.