Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Saltcoats
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 02:09pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
Can't believ that there is no thread aboot saltcoats.

I can't have been the only Glasweian who went for oor holidays there?

I remember the sand dunes, and going to the local cinema on a wet saturday afternoon to see
the film ring of bright water, walking to Ardrossan, and the beach was amazing. so golden.
There was a boating pond, and you sat in the little shelters to eat
you sand filled pieces. The railway track ran right by the sea, and had TWO bridges.
Saltcoats was amazing for your holidays.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 9th May 2013, 04:40pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
My first ever family holiday was in Ardrossan ( I was there when I got a first birthday card from my Grandparents.......... and I still have the card biggrin.gif ) but we also often went to Saltcoats for holiday's. I recently did a bit of research on the location of a family photo that was taken about 60 years ago. It transpired it was taken at the HMS Dasher memorial which looks almost exactly the same today as it did then...........except it's in colour now laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 09:05pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
Im pretty sure Billy Connolly sang a song about saltcoats.
it went something like.
Saltcoats by the sea, i hate the smell of your rotting seaweed,
never again will i see you, oh saltcoats goodby. biggrin.gif

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 9th May 2013, 09:35pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Hi Purple.
Just a wee tip
There already exist Topics, forums, and threads for a couple of new ones youve started. All you need do is search, instead of open an additional one. It also means you revive and old one, which can often be a good thing.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 10th May 2013, 09:49am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
BTW There's one called 'Saltcoats and Troon'

Hope I didn't offend you, by offering some advice.

You can always tell me where to put it lol

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
*Guvin boay*
post 12th May 2013, 08:09am
Post #6

QUOTE (Purplefan @ 9th May 2013, 09:22pm) *
Im pretty sure Billy Connolly sang a song about saltcoats.
it went something like.
Saltcoats by the sea, i hate the smell of your rotting seaweed,
never again will i see you, oh saltcoats goodby. biggrin.gif

He certainly did and it wis a brilliant song. Done to the tune of farewell to Capri. And ended "drunk an' lying in the gutter... Doon at Salcoates fur ra' fer"

+Quote Post
*guvin boay*
post 12th May 2013, 08:12am
Post #7

QUOTE (Purplefan @ 9th May 2013, 02:26pm) *
Can't believ that there is no thread aboot saltcoats.

I can't have been the only Glasweian who went for oor holidays there?

I remember the sand dunes, and going to the local cinema on a wet saturday afternoon to see
the film ring of bright water, walking to Ardrossan, and the beach was amazing. so golden.
There was a boating pond, and you sat in the little shelters to eat
you sand filled pieces. The railway track ran right by the sea, and had TWO bridges.
Saltcoats was amazing for your holidays.

Salcoats amazing??? Golden sands??? Whit is it that you are oan Jimmy n' where can I get a case o' it.

+Quote Post
mairead
post 5th Nov 2014, 10:38am
Post #8

Super Resident
Member No.: 26,634
My two memories of Saltcoats are of the enormous number of jellyfish that were on the beach when we were there, and my brother taking seriously ill with asthma and us having to come back home. I think we had extended family through marriage living there.

--------------------
The bluebell of Scotland is hanging her head
The Lion, once Rampant, in lying like dead

+Quote Post
sumac
post 19th Jul 2020, 01:48pm
Post #9

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,359
Oh, Saltcoats! Many the holiday I spent there in the 50s and 60s, and yes, the golden sand seemed to stretch forever. I took my children there in the 80s and 90s, both to the beach and to the bowling, I taught for a very short time in the 90s (Argyle Primary) and returned to walk along the beach last Thursday. My daughter, her 3 wee girls, my son, my husband and I had such a lovely hour. The girls ran across the sand with their uncle. We just walked and enjoyed a chilly, dull day (a beautiful day, we call it in Scotland). I love Saltcoats but I couldn’t help think how different it is for wee ones nowadays. My granddaughters were never out of our near sight and loved being in our company. In my young day, our parents were nowhere to be seen as we went all over the beach having a ball with no adults in sight. And none of us could swim but we paddled and ran about the water. Ah, the freedom!

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 19th Jul 2020, 06:22pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (sumac @ 19th Jul 2020, 02:48pm) *
Oh, Saltcoats! Many the holiday I spent there in the 50s and 60s, and yes, the golden sand seemed to stretch forever. I took my children there in the 80s and 90s, both to the beach and to the bowling, I taught for a very short time in the 90s (Argyle Primary) and returned to walk along the beach last Thursday. My daughter, her 3 wee girls, my son, my husband and I had such a lovely hour. The girls ran across the sand with their uncle. We just walked and enjoyed a chilly, dull day (a beautiful day, we call it in Scotland). I love Saltcoats but I couldn’t help think how different it is for wee ones nowadays. My granddaughters were never out of our near sight and loved being in our company. In my young day, our parents were nowhere to be seen as we went all over the beach having a ball with no adults in sight. And none of us could swim but we paddled and ran about the water. Ah, the freedom!

Not quite saltcoats but my first holiday ever was in a flea ridden self catering house in Ardrossan when I was 0 years old. My first birthday was spent there, the wummin host wanted to adopt me (not surprised as I was a beautiful baby tongue.gif) and my proof is my prised prized possession of the 1st birthday card sent by my grandparents. We went back there a couple of times (not the fleapit) and I loved it. But then, we lived in Barloch St in Possil, anywhere down the coast was great thumbup.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
sumac
post 26th Aug 2020, 07:23pm
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
Since lockdown, I have renewed my delight of Saltcoats. I just love it! I have returned to walk along the front several times now. Ayr, Troon, Prestwick are all mobbed on a summer day but Saltcoats is quiet and social distancing is easy. Such a shame normally. The beach is still lovely and the view across the bay, too.

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 27th Aug 2020, 12:00pm
Post #12

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
my mum preferred Rothesay,so Saltcoats was out,but one year out of the blue,I would have been about 8 or so,she told me she`d booked a wee holiday in Saltcoats. Anywhere away from Brigton was g0ing to be Heaven. We went on the bus,got there,never saw heavy rain like that,got to the rented place,it was in an attic,with the sloping ceilings ,that almost touched the bed. First thing,we ran out in the rain to buy groceries,soaked to the skin,but the highlight was a packet of Kellogs cornflakes,(brand new in my lifetime then ),so that cheered me up,we spent the rest of the night trying to get dried out at the gas fire. I have no memory of what the place looked like,i think we might have cut the holiday short. Oh well,back to Rothesay !

+Quote Post
zascot
post 27th Aug 2020, 01:51pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
I remember my dad used to pack the big hamper and it was sent off on the train a week before we went to Girvan, this must have been around 1955. It was like going to another planet not many green fields in Townhead at the time.Funny how the small things stick in your head.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 27th Aug 2020, 02:49pm
Post #14

Super City Key Holder
Mum and Dad always took a house or a flat, usually in Saltcoats but sometimes Ardrossan. That was if we went away. We would go for 2 weeks but my gran and 2 old aunties would come down for a couple of days. Gran would scrape enough Ayrshire tattles to feed all of us and carry the pot down on the train. Honestly!

One holiday, the weather was sweltering. Suddenly we had torrential rain. I’ll never forget the rain sweeping along the road, then steaming and drying instantly. It was the weirdest sight! I’ve never seen that since.

--------------------

+Quote Post
taurus
post 27th Aug 2020, 09:13pm
Post #15

City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,391
Ardrossan... my husband tells eveyone that place caused us to go to Australia 59 years ago. We had a baby and a toddler,and at the last minute one July,we went down for the day to try and find a house for the holidays. Too late,but we met the postman ,and he said go and see my wife,sure enough gorgeous wee house,and she gave us a room. Away we went with all the gear for 2 babies,for supposed to be 10 days (we went home early and she was mortified).. It was cramped,and we had to eat in their kitchen,with them,AND my gorgeous 2 year old with golden curls,had to sit on a paper at the door,to eat,just like a dog,in case she dirtied their table. After about a week,they went out one night to the pictures,so we took turns standing at the door watching for them coming back so we could each have a bath ,the first in over a week !.
then on the beach,freezing with both of us buying big jumpers in Marks ans Spencers.Alex said,as we sat shivering,next year we`re going somewhere warmer,so here we are.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th Nov 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.