Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dance Halls In Glasgow, ...do you remember these?
GG
post 5th Dec 2003, 06:43pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Here are some photographs of dance halls in Glasgow: did you ever go to these or any others? What are your memories of them? (Not necessarily at the time the pics were taken!)
  • 1060 Pollokshaws Rd, 1933 Ballroom, interior
  • 201 Dumbarton Rd, 1940 F & F Ballroom
  • 244-228 Gallowgate, 1935 Barrowland Ballroom, interior
  • 42 Kilmarnock Rd, 1939 Cameo ballroom
Please leave comments/memories here...

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 5th Dec 2003, 06:53pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
Never been to any of them but I can still recognise the F&F in Partick and the Barrowland from the outside.I am sure this topic will bring a flood of postings from the "Glesga crew" and I bet it's all really funny.

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 5th Dec 2003, 06:57pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
You dancin??-You askin cool.gif

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 5th Dec 2003, 10:10pm
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 59
Scotslad90 - how are ye wi a Quickstep?

Cameo is the only one I remember from this group.

Anyone remember (think it was) McEwans Dance Studio on Sauchiehall St. in the 40's? Could have been what Catherine wid refer tae as bein a 'hoity toity' place - Yea, Catherine big smile and tongue.gif

+Quote Post
maggie2
post 6th Dec 2003, 12:52am
Post #5

Resident
Member No.: 194
I never went to any of these........It was the Locarno in the late 60's for me LOL.........But sure is nice to see these......

+Quote Post
Mary48
post 6th Dec 2003, 12:57am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 241
I only went to one dance in Glasgow and I cannae even remember where it was held. I do know we had to apply to the assistant matron who asked when it was supposed to finish. We tiold her 1am and were told, "that means you can be back by 1.30am"
A lot of people from Larkhall and Hamilton would come into the Barrowland. I never did

--------------------
From Larkhall, no that far away really.

+Quote Post
glinger
post 6th Dec 2003, 12:59am
Post #7

Super Visitor
Member No.: 62
Remember going to Tiffany's, Maestro's, Clouds, Joanna's, Burnbrae Hotel in Bearsden (Sunday Night Disco), Mount Vernon Hotel - brilliant time!!

smile.gif

+Quote Post
jock
post 6th Dec 2003, 05:32am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
My oldest brother was a 'bouncer' at barrowland. I remember the Locarno but was never in it. Have done a lot of "Ballroom" dancing in the U.S.

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 6th Dec 2003, 10:40am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Right ,the wan in Pollokshaws Rd looks like the Burgh,C'mon Archie ,an McCleans,Joan.The F & Fs whit a lumber ah hid there wan night .Ma lips are sealed !!, The Barraland,.jivers alley Oh big memories.
The Cameo in Kilmarnock Rd,wis that up near the Embassy picture hoose.Seems to ring a bell.
My Goad ,Martin you have revived so much memories ,of happy carefree times.Whits the song !! " To all the girls I used to know" Thanks for the memories ,you are special people each and every one.!!! biggrin.gif ,Thats all I have left ,is memories Lol.

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 6th Dec 2003, 10:50am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
As you were on the Pollokshaws Rd dance hall ,I now seem to think,it was the Top Hat,Archie remember the Sunday night " Go as you please" wee Stan Davies fae the roundabout,giving it the Frankie Laine,big Peter Hastie" "Am leanin on a lampost".My god we had a ball wi a couple of glasses,of Orange juice.Nae drinkin on Sunday in those days.!!! biggrin.gif Grass wis whit the coo's ate Lol

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 6th Dec 2003, 11:10am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry ! I can't get off this subject.Went to the Shaws Burgh wan night,typical spent aw the money in The Swan Pub before we went tae the dancin.Lumbered this lassie from Shawbridge St Pollokshaws.Anyway had no money for the bus fare hame.Freezin cauld night,walked hame to Priesthill,bloody chitterin aw the way.Just as I arrived at my close,found a Pound note lying oan the ground. Great ,I had arranged to meet the lassie oan the Sunday, tae take her to the pictures,was going to Tap my brother for the money. Got in the hoose ,the big brother is already in bed,had a skinful so is out of it.Next day I go out and meet my mates,the big yin was still in bed. Went to the pics that night wi the lassie ,got home that night,and the brother is going mad,had been searching the house for the Quid he was sure he should have left,efter his night on the booze.Ma maw is saying you probably loast it.,"aye right enough" says he,"Hope the bugger that fun it had a good night oan me." ,"How'd ye go son have a good time,the night "!!!!!! Ah never uttered a bloody wurd !!!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 6th Dec 2003, 06:57pm
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Ah, that wis wise Jimmyd!

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 6th Dec 2003, 10:10pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
This was the dance hall of choice for me and the pals on a Thursday night. Remember the revolving stage? the main band was Benny Daniels and his band then roon would go the stage and the Ray Ellington quartet would appear.
But I met my wife to be in the Dennistoun Palais, and it turned out she only lived a couple of blocks away from me at the time.
wub.gif
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Fearn
post 6th Dec 2003, 10:59pm
Post #14

Super City Key Holder
George Muir - was it the Lacarno that had the revolving 'crystal' globe?

+Quote Post
Margaret P
post 6th Dec 2003, 11:23pm
Post #15

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25
oh Martin what memories I loved barrowland and the f&f also the locarno many a great night spent at them all and also some nice lumbers home thanks for the memories rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.