Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stars At The Glasgow Empire, personal
big tommy
post 7th Nov 2005, 07:00pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Dear Davie
i think it was just Wullie Maley .And it has always been spelt Quin
Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Joannas DJ*
post 15th Apr 2007, 10:30pm
Post #17

Hi. I have two empire theatre programmes which maybe you can help me with. One is when BOBBY DARIN and DUANNE EDDY were the highliners.And the other one is when JOHHNY DUNCAN and HIS BLUEGRASS BOYS were the highliners.I am curious what years these concerts were as there is no dates on the programmes.Cheers

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 18th Aug 2007, 02:54pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Joanna, it must have been round about 1958/59 as I had the record of Johnny Duncan and the Bluegrass boys singing "Last Train to San Fernando" and it was out round about then. I remember seeing Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochrane in the Empire round about 1960/61. They were tremendous.

I also saw Des O'Connor, Billy Dainty and I can't remember the other one's name in the Empire on a Monday night. They died an absolute death!! My sister worked in Rex Publicity and used to get free tickets for all the Monday night shows in the Empire. Saw a few good plays too.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 18th Aug 2007, 09:59pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
We used to go to the Empire too, can't remember who all we saw but I do recall seeing Frankie Vaughn singing 'Green Door' when de danced about and kicked his leg way up into the air biggrin.gif This would be in the late 50s.

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 18th Aug 2007, 10:14pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
rolleyes.gif I also saw Frankie Vaughan at the Empire late 50s Vic Damone was another one we went to see also a backing group called the Dallas Boys they were excellent and tommy steele those were the days

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
Avril
post 18th Aug 2007, 11:07pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
QUOTE (Marjory MacKay @ 18th Aug 2007, 04:11 PM) *
Joanna, it must have been round about 1958/59 as I had the record of Johnny Duncan and the Bluegrass boys singing "Last Train to San Fernando" and it was out round about then. I remember seeing Gene Vincent and Eddie Cochrane in the Empire round about 1960/61. They were tremendous.

I also saw Des O'Connor, Billy Dainty and I can't remember the other one's name in the Empire on a Monday night. They died an absolute death!! My sister worked in Rex Publicity and used to get free tickets for all the Monday night shows in the Empire. Saw a few good plays too.

Marjory, was it Dave King? He apparently sat at the side of the stage and cried!

My mum & dad took me to 'The Empire' many times when I was young. Two artistes I remember going seeing with them were Max Bygraves & Frankie Vaughan. I went to see Helen Shapiro and I'm sure it was 'The Empire' where I first saw The Beatles biggrin.gif

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Elma
post 19th Aug 2007, 12:34am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I think it was the Odeon on Renfield Street that I saw the Beatles on stage, that was in the early 60s.

+Quote Post
angel
post 19th Aug 2007, 02:02am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
my mother in law just loved Frankie Vaughan, I never saw him at the Empire, but did in
in Blackpool, a great show... rolleyes.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 19th Aug 2007, 03:28am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
I saw Johnny Ray, Frankie Lane, Billy Eckstine and others at the Empire. Oh I saw Guy Mitchell too, he was wearing a terrific midnight blue suit.
We were regulars at the Empire, one of my favourite acts was "Wilson, Keppel and Betty" they were sand-dancers a very funny trio. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 19th Aug 2007, 07:53am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
laugh.gif many a goodnight at the empire george up in the gods

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 5th Mar 2008, 07:48pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
"....and I'm sure it was 'The Empire' where I first saw The Beatles."

The Beatles never played the Empire. It closed on the 31st March 1963; the Fabs played the first of five Glasgow dates on 7th June 1963 in the Odeon.
They also played: 5th October 1963 in the Glasgow Concert Hall - the former Gaeity Cinema, Anderson; 30th April 1964 Odeon; 21st Oct 1964 Odeon and finally 3rd Dec 1965 also in the Odeon.
The last act to play the Empire was the Red Army Ensemble although an all-star cast appeared at a fund-raiser on the 31st March 1963. It featured: ALEXANDER BROTHERS, JOHNNY BEATTIE, CHARLIE CAIROLI, IAIN CUTHBERTSON, ALBERT FINNEY, RIKKI FULTON, DIXIE INGRAM, CALUM KENNEDY, KOOL KATZ, FAY LENORE, PETE MARTIN, JACK MILROY, JOHN MULVANEY,
MAY MOXON LADIES, ERIC V. MARSH, DUNCAN MACRAE, BOBBY McLEOD, JIMMY NEIL, MASTER JOE PETERSEN,
IAN POWRIE, GEORGE PENMAN, JACK RADCLIFFE, JIMMY REID, ANDY STEWART, WILL STARR, BILLY WYNER, ROBERT WILSON, WHITE HEATHER DANCERS

See Bob Bain's marvellous Empire web-site for details, pics etc. It has posters of the Eddie Cochrane/ Gene Vincent show, Slim Whitman and many others.
http://www.freewebs.com/glasgow-empire/the...empirestory.htm

Le durachd,

Eddy

+Quote Post
dizzybint
post 21st Oct 2010, 02:31pm
Post #27

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,116
The Empire wiz the business, saw Cliff, Frankie Vaughn, Max Bygraves, Connie Frances. oh loads of people, and loved every time I went.. was magic..

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.