Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wilson's Zoo On Oswald Street
Agnes & Robert
post 19th Feb 2009, 03:14am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
Can anybody remember the Amusements at the corner of Argyle St. and Oswald St.also Wilson's Zoo just along on Oswald St.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 19th Feb 2009, 04:57am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Agnes and Robert, here's an old picture of that intersection

Attached Image

+Quote Post
tombro
post 19th Feb 2009, 11:05am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
I've answered this on other forums.

One day in the late 1950's my Granny, who lived in Crimea Street (off Carrick Street about a mile along Argyle Street towards Anderston Cross) itook my brother and me to the zoo in Oswald Street.

I remember it being dark and gloomy and I remember the lion in its cage.

Lately I've seen (on this and other sites) various pics of that corner of Argyle Street and Oswald Street but don't remember any amusements.

Tombro huh.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 19th Feb 2009, 04:59pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (tombro @ 19th Feb 2009, 10:52am) *

One day in the late 1950's my Granny, who lived in Crimea Street (off Carrick Street about a mile along Argyle Street towards Anderston Cross) itook my brother and me to the zoo in Oswald Street.

Lately I've seen (on this and other sites) various pics of that corner of Argyle Street and Oswald Street but don't remember any amusements.

Tombro huh.gif

Hi Tombro, fantastic photo, I'm sure it was in the 40s when the door was open you were able to see the dodgems, I remember the lion in the cage also the Mynah bird, the story was that Mr.Wilson was a big-game hunter,I'm not quite sure but I think Clydsdales might have been there either before or after the amusements I can still see that cage a way too small for the lion. It's strange that you mention Carrick St. when my Wife and I were home on holiday we stayed at the Carrick Hotel, which is now called the Corus, they served you a fantastic breakfast, black pudding sliced sausages the lot my teeth are watering.

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 19th Mar 2009, 03:20am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (tombro @ 19th Feb 2009, 10:52am) *

Tombro huh.gif

Hi Tombro on that corner of Argyle & Oswald Sts. Clydesdales was there as well but Ican't remember who was there first, that would be about the same time when there was a N.A.A.F.I. on Argyle St. and Ithink Stockwell St', now we are talking during the War Ican remember if the door was opened you could see the Dodgems

+Quote Post
*angela cunningham*
post 25th Jul 2009, 06:50pm
Post #6

QUOTE (Agnes & Robert @ 19th Feb 2009, 03:31am) *
Can anybody remember the Amusements at the corner of Argyle St. and Oswald St.also Wilson's Zoo just along on Oswald St.

+Quote Post
*angela cunningham*
post 25th Jul 2009, 06:56pm
Post #7

Hi
My mum and dad remember it well,my dad more so as he used to work there when he was 14yrs old.
The owners where Joe Leonard and Martha Taylor both gypsies. They wanted to take my dad with them but my gran said no as he was her only child.

+Quote Post
*Evelyn Farquharson*
post 29th Oct 2009, 09:15am
Post #8

Hello there - I lived in Argyle Street round the corner from the zoo - next door to the NAAFI which closed around the early 1950's. Anyway, at night when we were in bed, we could hear the lion roaring. During the day I did on a few occasions creep inside under the turnstile to get into the zoo to watch the lion perform. Its 'party trick' was to walk to the front of the cage, lift its leg and wee over the spectators.

+Quote Post
**mairi**
post 29th Dec 2009, 12:23am
Post #9

My dad has told me the story of the lion since I was a little kid but we havent been able to find any photos except the one on here, if anyone has anymore can they please post them. did they take the lion with them when they left?

+Quote Post
Stillroom
post 27th Feb 2010, 10:27pm
Post #10

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
I remember when it was closing, my mum and I were walking past when one of the men came out carrying a red a'''d baboon over his shoulder, he recognised my mum, (old neighbour) and stopped to talk I was mortified and folk were laughing, the animals were so old I don't think they had seen daylight in years

--------------------
Katie Bairdie

+Quote Post
*AGNES & ROBERT*
post 28th Feb 2010, 02:45am
Post #11

Yes I remember the Oswald Street Zoo very well, been there a few times with my Sons, also I used to buy Tropical Fish downstairs, the Lion was in a cage far too small for it, also the Myna bird that could talk, I knew Mrs. Wilson, she was a member of the Scottish Aquarium Society (we used to hold our meetings in the McClennan Galleries), I'm glad to see somebody else remembers the Amusements, also the NAAFI further along Argyle Street, I think that it might have been at the corner of Argyle and Glassford Streets, fantastic memories.

+Quote Post
glezgaman
post 10th Oct 2010, 02:05am
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 1,979
i remember the amusements arcade well,one of my cousins worked there. it was on the corner of argyle st and jamaica st. that was the east side of jamaica st just before you went under the bridge.

--------------------
jist gon tae see a man aboot a dug

+Quote Post
benny
post 10th Oct 2010, 10:16am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
I remember the zoo only too well. My Ma took me in wan day and ah wis terrified o the lion. The poor beast wis - as someboy already mentioned - in a cage that wis far too wee. It wis like puttin a budgie in a shoe box, only budgies cannae bite yer heid aff or rip yer innards oot wi wan blow if they jump oot. There wis a big mastiff dug as well that patrolled the area. Ah started greetin - ah wis only aboot 5 - an ma Ma took me oot. Ah wis never as glad tae get away frae anythin. Ah didnae realise it at the time, but it wis sheer exploitation - the poor animals must've led a helluva life.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Tommy Kennedy
post 10th Oct 2010, 12:06pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 54
I remember it well, my older Brother,Willie - 6 years older than me took me there, I was 10- naw not out of kindness of heart but as a 'Lookout'.
He wanted one of the ferrets they had for bunny wabbit hunting.
Got to the cage.....I looked around, nobody near, nobody watching -
'Go Willie', I whispered - in went his hand, out came the ferret - he stuck it up his 'Duke'(Jumper and off we went) tongue.gif

I was always brother Willie's lookout when he went poaching/fishing.
Years later I asked Willie why he always used me as 'Look out' and not brother John, who was 3 years older than me.

'You were my 'Oiver Twist' ,he told me, you were so weedy and small and if we got caught -which we sometimes did, the game keeper would feel sorry for you and let us off' rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 10th Oct 2010, 09:46pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
ooohh, ya cheeky wee monkey. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.