Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Girls Guildry, Equivalent of Boys Brigade?
BallindallochNZ
post 22nd Jun 2006, 10:11pm
Post #1

Special Visitor
Member No.: 465
In the fifties, I remember being a member of the Girls Guildry when I lived in Maryhill. It was held in a local church - I think it was St Cuthbert's in Doncaster Street (long since demolished, I believe). The younger girls in the club were called Rosebuds. Does anyone remember being part of this organisation?

I don't know that there was a uniform as such but seem to remember wearing a sash over a skirt and a white blouse.

We played games in the hall, sang songs and practised marching for the big event, which was to march behind the Boys Brigade, led by the pipe band, one Sunday a month when the morning service was held consecutively in neighbouring churches in Maryhill. My ambition when in the Rosebuds was to learn to play the big drum!

As an earlier poster said, it is a shame if this type of organisation is no longer in operation. The Girls Guildry played a big part in our growing years, along with Sunday School, Band of Hope and others. I would love to hear from anyone who also took part.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elma
post 23rd Jun 2006, 01:11am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I was never in the Girls Guildry although I remember them. I was in the Brownies and Guides and we met in Scotstoun East Church. We also had monthly church parades and I think that along with the Cub and Scouts the Boys Brigade and Guildry were there too.

We learned so much in these organizations and as you say Ballindalloch, it is a shame that so many of the children nowadays do not join them but opt for organized sports and goodness knows whatever like staying in and playing video games.....

+Quote Post
Java
post 23rd Jun 2006, 02:46pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
We were in the Robins in the mid sixties, which I think then went on to being in the Girls Brigade....I don't remember that much about it, but it was great fun....

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 23rd Jun 2006, 07:21pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
A kept getting chased oot - dunno why - laugh.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
Java
post 23rd Jun 2006, 07:27pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,211
Cos yer too young...an yer name isny Robin or Rosebud...an yer skirt's too short....

--------------------
A friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails...

+Quote Post
Geezabrek
post 23rd Jun 2006, 07:37pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,442
Who's been peekin in the windies then..Oh, I jist realised - this is a girlie thing innit... A'll huv tae take my wee fat hairy legs onto another thread noo.... (But, before I go... Was this Guildry thing religiously orientated, like the Boys Brigade? cos I couldn'y join that as a wain - wrang religion... Don't think they could do that now) rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If u canny fix it wi a hammer - It's an electrical problem!

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 27th Jun 2006, 11:05pm
Post #7

Special Visitor
Geezabrek - this particular Girls Guildry was held in St Cuthbert's (Church of Scotland). My family were not members of St Cuthbert's and we also went to Sunday School and Band of Hope
in the Methodist Church in Maryhill Road. I don't believe children would have been asked what religion they were but I couldn't be sure. This was over fifty years ago and you tend to remember mostly the good things in life.

How we enjoyed these organisations and looked forward to singing and dancing at the many concerts held, attended by parents and friends.

Is there some kind of equivalent these days?

+Quote Post
hugoacas13
post 30th Jun 2006, 11:03am
Post #8

Settling In
Member No.: 3,417
QUOTE (BallindallochNZ @ 28th Jun 2006, 12:22 AM)
Geezabrek - this particular Girls Guildry was held in St Cuthbert's (Church of Scotland). My family were not members of St Cuthbert's and we also went to Sunday School and Band of Hope
in the Methodist Church in Maryhill Road. I don't believe children would have been asked what religion they were but I couldn't be sure. This was over fifty years ago and you tend to remember mostly the good things in life.

How we enjoyed these organisations and looked forward to singing and dancing at the many concerts held, attended by parents and friends.

Is there some kind of equivalent these days?

What number in Ballindalloch Drive did you stay?

+Quote Post
BallindallochNZ
post 30th Jul 2006, 11:10pm
Post #9

Special Visitor
Hugoacas - I was born at 67 Ballindalloch Drive where my granny (Walker) lived on the top floor. She had three other daughters as well as my mother and several of us cousins were born at No.67 during the war years. My parents at the time were living in Hinshaw Street, Maryhill. It seems to have been traditional for the babies to be born at Granny's house. My younger sister, born in 1944, is curious to know why she was born at Hinshaw Street but we assume it was because she was premature and arrived before they had time to go to Granny in Dennistoun for the birth.

Granny Walker also had three sons with families and she was the lynchpin of the whole family. She was still living there when I emigrated to New Zealand in 1963. She lived till she was about 84 and her son and daughter-in-law (Robert and Rene) stayed on at 67 Ballindalloch Drive for a number of years afterwards.

Do you know this area well?

+Quote Post
sumac
post 18th Sep 2006, 06:55pm
Post #10

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I belonged to the Brownies - my Six were the Pixies before I was moved into the Elves. I belonged to the Townhead Brownies, but I'm having a Senior Moment and can't remember which church hall it was held in. Sitting round the toadstool, learning all my knots, going on Church Parade - oh, what wonderful times! rolleyes.gif

I also belonged to the Band Of Hope in Stanhope Street (I think). I loved that, too, and went happily every Monday night.

Do you remember we had a very hectic social life in the old days? We played outdoors all the time until it was time to go to the Brownies/Band Of Hope/Sunday School/skating lessons, etc. and had so many trips to look forward to, in the summer.

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 2nd Sep 2007, 12:49am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
I was in the Brownies in Gairbraid Church. I was a sixer in the Sprites. I then went on to the guides but didn't like that as much as the Brownies. I think all these organisations were great for kids and gave you a sense of belonging and purpose. My three sons came through the Beavers, Cubs and Scouts and loved it, especially when they went to Auchengillan camp. I also think it gave them respect for their elders and the Scout Group was mixed religions which was a good thing.

+Quote Post
*barbara durrant*
post 18th Dec 2009, 10:51pm
Post #12

i was born in 1954 and was in the girl guildry when I was young. I lived in Keppochill Street Springburn and I loved it. I particularly loved the marching, I still have a bible somewhere that was given to me for attendance. I now live in Kent.

Barbara

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.