Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Boys Brigade, History
jaygee
post 13th Nov 2013, 04:33pm
Post #46

Settling In
Member No.: 2,097
I too spent about seven years in The Boys Brigade. The 127th in Maryhill. It taught discipline and in modern parlance, good ethical standards. Character forming with first class examples set by their officers.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brianjardine
post 14th Nov 2014, 11:05am
Post #47

Settling In
Member No.: 27,083
I've just discovered this superb board , I was in the 144 at Gairbraid around 1972-1976, and fondly remember playing football on gravel pitches at Cadder{no game was ever cancelled due to bad weather}.If you didn't go to Bible Class on a Sunday,you didn't play on a Saturday.
Happy daze

--------------------
You can take the boy out of Glasgow.......

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 15th Nov 2014, 08:01am
Post #48

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Hi Brian ,

I loved the BB. and yes, if you did not attend Bible Class you did not get in the football team, nor in mine the

BB Camp.

A good idea otherwise no one would have gone biggrin.gif

We went to Jersey, train from Glasgow to Southampton then flight over. circa 1955 ?

Nairn, Tenby ( twice ), Whitley Bay. Great times. Happy days.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
ktv
post 15th Nov 2014, 10:04am
Post #49

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
I was in the BB for a couple of years in barmulloch (221 I think) and I played in their football team but I never went to bible class for obvious reasons but maybe that had changed by the 80s

I remember still having to get my local priest to sign my card saying id been to chapel on a sunday and him no being very pleased about it...I didn't care though lol

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 15th Nov 2014, 07:35pm
Post #50

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
Started of in the 'life boys' when I was a kid and loved it then later into the 281st BB company (Drumoyne) under Captain MacMillan. Great memories of the BB and over the years went on many trips sleeping under canvas in leaking tents and enjoying steaming hot mugs of cocoa before turning in. I went on to play in the pipe band which I very much enjoyed.

A little thing to add to this. About 40 years after leaving the Brigade I was working as a sales rep and was making a routine call to a shop in Dunvegan Skye. The shop and a new owner. Well to cut the story short the lady owner and I chatted for a while before I discovered she was the daughter of the aforesaid Captain MacMillan, my old BB captain. We has a good chat about old times, and yes I did get an order as well lol

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  « < 2 3 4
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.