Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Boys Brigade, History
Dexter St. Clair
post 7th Feb 2009, 10:14am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
QUOTE (Heather @ 6th Feb 2009, 11:38am) *
Nowadays we never hear of the BBs, Cubs, or Scouts and I think it's a sad loss for the present generation.

They're all still going in some shape or form. the problem is the lack of adults putting themselves forward as volunteers.

Glasgow Boys Brigade

As Big Tommy said
He based the Boys Brigade on a military style Christian soldier .

Thus it was in 1883 , in a little hall in North 'Woodside Road the movement began with just 28 boys . Two night later the number had risen to 59 and the Boys Brigade was under way .

That hall is now the Woodside Social club and plans have been forward to turn into into a block of flats.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 30th Mar 2009, 08:43pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
From my prized copy of 'William A. Smith of The Boys Brigade'. Published 1934.
Attached Image

Attached Image
At the date of the 50th anniversary of the BB shown above there were over a million members worldwide.

+Quote Post
**Lorna**
post 8th Apr 2009, 09:00pm
Post #33

QUOTE (Gallusbisom @ 5th Feb 2009, 04:36am) *
Lorna, sorry it has taken me so long to spot your post but if your husband is a legendary piper then we are family. Especially if you have a couple of twin brothers. I so hope I have not missed you. Your Mum is one sepecial lady and has kept all the refs. to the Boys Bridgade in her heart and she was a great participant. Bye the way, you had other other relies in there. Mummy's uncles. Do send me your email address. I really think we have a strong connection here. GB

Hi in answer to your question yes my husband is a piper not sure about the legendary bit right enough!!! Have 3 brothers 2 of which are twins. Have tried to join forum so that I could private email you but have had no luck so hopefully you will be back on site to read this. email address is Johnlornabrown@aol.com. Looking forward to hearing from you.

Lorna.

PS I have not worked out who you are yet. Have not discussed with mum will wait on you email coming back

+Quote Post
**Lorna**
post 9th Apr 2009, 05:40pm
Post #34

Hi trying to reply to Gallus Bisom.

In reply to last message. Yes husband piper, don't know about the legendary !!!!!
Have twin brothers. will need to leave email address on here. Johnlornabrown@aol.com as I cannot private email you. Looking forward to hearing from you. Lorna.

+Quote Post
ladihelen
post 6th Jun 2009, 05:17pm
Post #35

Visitor
Member No.: 5,756
Martyrs Church ? In the fifties the then Lifeboy captain(leader) strongarmed me to play piano for the lads to enter a "Sportagamma" concert Which I thoroughly enjoyed doing until on the night another occifer stepped forward to turn my music pages and I went to pieces with nerves
I am sure I finished up just free playing any old song Anyone out there remember being there?

+Quote Post
DaneyMc
post 21st Jan 2010, 10:26pm
Post #36

Special Visitor
Member No.: 6,617
Attached Image
QUOTE (glasgowguerilla @ 15th Jan 2006, 06:12am) *
i remeber the boys brigade like it was yesterday i was in them for 2 tears in maryhill ....my dad said it was a great prepatory for the navy ...i remember sure and steadfast....the song is lost as i am 45 ...but i always remember ..i thought i was it because i had a uniform in them days and when yer a wee yin it is good tae feel like that ..did any one join anywhere in maryhill would love to know please feel free to contact me all i do remeber is my freind micheal glen was in them ...

The same as you, my Grandad (God bless him) sent me into the 69th B.B at Ruchill Church.
Learnt so much on many subjects ie Music,comradeship,discipline,friendship and most of all it gave me a very strong Sense of Duty. Going to church also founded my belief as a Christian and being there for others. I hope I have remained STEADFAST & SURE in all I undertook. Only my friends can answer that one......Still remember the smell in that church hall everytime I polish the floors at home to this day, or even when I was in the Royal Navy. Some guys in my recruitment had never been anywhere..The 69th took us camping all over the place and made us independant in our lives,so the RN was a breeze..Thanks to the BB's biggrin.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

--------------------
"Scottish & Proud of it"
You can take the Boy out of Glasgow,
but you can't take Glasgow out of the Boy........

+Quote Post
enrique
post 22nd Jan 2010, 12:55pm
Post #37

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
QUOTE (Southside jim @ 5th Feb 2009, 01:33am) *
I was a member myself.
I was in the 129th company. We were based in clyndier street in govan.

Had a lot of good times in theem , and remeber the trips to dunoon...plenty of carry-on...lol

Hi southside jim, i am also one of the 129 ,i was there from when i left the lifeboys and became a member of the BB it was Johnny Borland in those days along with his brother Jimmy , our camps in the Summer were Stonehaven Urie Park and of course our big mate at that time was Sir Alex Ferguson no less, and he was as competitive back then as he is to-day , my brother tells of the time when during playtime at Broomy road they played a game of tig and Fergie was so determined not to be hett, he ran all the way doon the 10 miler(do you no where i mean )its the long stretch of road from old Govan town hall to Lorne Street, he would not have came back if it was not for my brother giving up , whit a bloke

+Quote Post
DOOHILL
post 10th Jul 2010, 12:36pm
Post #38

Resident
Member No.: 8,657
QUOTE (big tommy @ 13th Oct 2005, 03:59pm) *
In 1883 , William Alexander Smith formed The Boys Brigade . He originally came from Pennyland ,in Caithness which overlooks Dunnet Head .

He was just 15 when he travelled south to Glasgow . More to grasp opportunities than from necessity .

Smith came from a breed of Scots that gets the appellation 'solid stock' .His father had been an officer in the Army as had his Grand father before him .The Smith's'of Scotland were the rock foundations of the country. The base material of the 'onward Christian Soldiers 'with God in their hearts and prepared to defend that way of life .

He based the Boys Brigade on a military style Christian soldier .

Thus it was in 1883 , in a little hall in North 'Woodside Road the movement began with just 28 boys . Two night later the number had risen to 59 and the Boys Brigade was under way .

It was at the same time another football club destined to be as famous as Rangers appeared on the scene .It was Celtic.

Every night there was a 'fall-in' parade ,no one was allowed to miss 2 consecutive drills as their meetings were called

As word spread round the high-density Woodside area ,bounded by Garscube Road and Great Western Road ,boys found it a great way of spending time in the company of pals .

When Smith took his idea to Harvard in U S A he was made to realise that if you put a 'five penny cap ' on a boy ,he turned into a soldier .

The Bible was his gun . The uniform made him a part of things .

When Smith tried to start up in Belfast ,the irish wanted the name to be 'The Whiteboys', But after much persuasion the name 'the Boys Brigade .became official .

As it was Church based , not very many Catholic boys bothered to take part ,which is a pity ,I think ,as it might have ended the bigotry across the City .

Most Catholic boys ,like myself , joined the Boy Scouts and were affiliated to a Chapel .but we did everything the Boys Brigade did ,the difference was, we attended our own Catholic Church .

This of course meant, pals or not ,on a Thursday night we each went out separate ways .

The Boys Brigade spiralled to ever increasing numbers ,although , I am not sure if it is as strong today .

Still, among the famous ex-Boys Brigade were such people as :-

Allen Wells , Cameron Sharp , Kenny Dalglish , Ally Mc Coist , Danny McGrain, Ross King , Andy Cameron , Roy Castle . Metropolitan Police Officer , Sir David Mc Nee and Scottish Parliamentarian Sir David Steel .

Notice too . They are all Protestants

Tommy

--------------------
ciao
AYE READY

+Quote Post
irrie
post 26th Jul 2010, 05:49pm
Post #39

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
my da was in the 26bb for yrs Iknow it was in Maryhill but cant remember exactly where.He was abugler and played at hampden for internationals/cup finals. At that time he lived at 533 the gaspipe.This was in late 30s early 40s

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 26th Jul 2010, 08:44pm
Post #40

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Irrie the 26th BB were based out of what used to be queens cross church and then became queens cross and st cuthberts. this was after st cuthberts church on doncaster amalgamated with queens cross. The 12 th BB were based in st cuthberts. The church is now the rennie mcintosh centre and is a classic of his design......cheers ....Andy

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 26th Jul 2010, 09:23pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
Quote:(Big Tommy) - 'The Boys Brigade spiralled to ever increasing numbers ,although , I am not sure if it is as strong today .

I think it must be Tommy, as today I was driving through a part of Sussex not far from where I live and in a field I saw a huge number of bell-tents and marquees all lined up with prominent flagpole. This took me back over 50 years to BB camps in Fife. Sure enough, then I saw a sign indicating this was the annual camp of the Brighton and Hove Battalion! There must be hundreds of lads there.
Rab.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 27th Jul 2010, 06:03am
Post #42

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
QUOTE (andypisces @ 26th Jul 2010, 09:54pm) *
Irrie the 26th BB were based out of what used to be queens cross church and then became queens cross and st cuthberts. this was after st cuthberts church on doncaster amalgamated with queens cross. The 12 th BB were based in st cuthberts. The church is now the rennie mcintosh centre and is a classic of his design......cheers ....Andy

cheers Andy.I should have known that my parents were married in Queens x church in 1945

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 4th Oct 2013, 09:06am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
I didnt know this until I just read it!!

4th October 1883: The Boys’ Brigade was founded in Glasgow, by Sir William Alexander Smith.

OR
Sir Alex Ferguson and his successor at Manchester United, David Moyes are famous for their no-nonsense approach and discipline.

But both have another shared experience that could hold the key to being an international success story – they are both Boys’ Brigade veterans. Sir Alex joined 129th Glasgow BB spending several years at the Govan Company, whilst Moyes grew up across the Clyde within the 101st Glasgow BB.

Happy Birthday to the Boys Brigade!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 4th Oct 2013, 09:21pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Yes Happy Birthday to " The BB "

I spent 5 great years as a member.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
RonaldK
post 13th Nov 2013, 12:43am
Post #45

Settling In
Member No.: 25,812
I too spent a great 5 years with the 173 rd Glasgow BB and with the life boys before that. Long may it continue.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.