Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Boys Brigade, History
maryhillgal
post 22nd Oct 2007, 01:36am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Glasgowguerilla - which BB in Maryhill were you in. The 69th BB was one of the biggest and they were affiliated to Ruchill Church. Maryhill High, Gairbraid, North Kelvinside and Kelvinside Church all had BB companies. I still love singing "Will your anchor hold in the storms of life" it truly is an uplifting hymn.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Bobby Howie*
post 7th Mar 2008, 01:00am
Post #17

The BB company i was in was 117 years old and was closed (although healthy number-wise) due to those who ran a local community hall that made it clear our faces didn't fit. I mused on Big Tommy's tickled comments about all those famous folk in the BB who were all Prots. Around a third of ours was catholic and the captain was an orangeman who recruited them! Kind of says it all? I have to thank the Bb for giving me confidence, gave me a great start in life and taught me discipline. I have met many famous people along the way and influenced many but it was thanks to the Bb who got the best out of me and the officers were dedicated to it and us. I managed to pay a lot back by being an officer most of my life. As they would say here in Glasgow, pure dead magic!

+Quote Post
*Guest rich **
post 18th Mar 2008, 12:46pm
Post #18

I have fond memories of the BB growing up. I was in the 3rd Glasgow in Battlefield and we were famous for our band which went all over the country. One of my funny memories was on Friday nights. Our great rivals were the 83rd in Mount Florida. They were always better than us at things like football but we always thought we could better them in mind games. Time after time we would come out after Friday night BB and one of the 83rd would have written, in big chalk writing on the wall of the high rise flats, 3rd are w*****s. It didn't take much imagination for us to simply go out and change it to 83rd are w*****s

Let me put my thinking cap on and I'll come up with more (apologies for the language, by the way)

+Quote Post
frankd2
post 4th Apr 2008, 02:08pm
Post #19

Visitor
Member No.: 5,377
In the 1940's I was a member of the 146th. company of the Boys Brigade at Dennistoun Parish Church.
Happy memories of yesteryear.
After our meetings my pals would spend our pocket money in Alfie's fish and chip shop in Ballindalloch Drive.
Hot Peas or a Fish Cake.
LOVELY GRUB! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
*Gallus bisom*
post 19th May 2008, 08:45pm
Post #20

Hi,

Does anyone remember a William Kelt who was a member of the B.B's? He was a great singer and sang a solo at the Kingston Halls, on the Paisley Rd. All of his uncles were B.B's too but their surname was Barbour.

+Quote Post
*Guest Lorna Brown*
post 1st Nov 2008, 11:29pm
Post #21

[quote name='Gallus bisom' post='199169' date='19th May 2008, 08:53pm']
Hi William Kelt was my uncle, he still stay's in the Glasgow Area. My mother (his sister) still goes on about the time her wee brother sang that Solo. His family was all involved int e BB's William I think was in the 162 company my mother was also in that company. Their Uncle Edward was in the 164 Company.

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 1st Dec 2008, 04:46pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
I spent 3 happy years in the 3rd Renfrew Company BB. Thursday drill nights could not come round quick enough. Our annual summer camps under canvas at Anstruther were the greatest fun and adventure. I can still remember all my Indian Club exercises. The BB stood me in good stead when I joined the regular Army as I knew all the drill + spit and polish + 'esprit de corps'.

Attached Image

+Quote Post
*cakes*
post 10th Jan 2009, 02:08am
Post #23

I was a member of the 1st Glasgow betwen 1981 & 1984. We were based at the church at the top of Belmont street. We had the best junior section football team. Other companies i remember we used to play against inluded 10th, 245 & 69th.

+Quote Post
Southside jim
post 5th Feb 2009, 01:35am
Post #24

Special Visitor
Member No.: 6,504
I was a member myself.
I was in the 129th company. We were based in clyndier street in govan.

Had a lot of good times in theem , and remeber the trips to dunoon...plenty of carry-on...lol

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 5th Feb 2009, 04:07am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Lorna, sorry it has taken me so long to spot your post but if your husband is a legendary piper then we are family. Especially if you have a couple of twin brothers. I so hope I have not missed you. Your Mum is one sepecial lady and has kept all the refs. to the Boys Bridgade in her heart and she was a great participant. Bye the way, you had other other relies in there. Mummy's uncles. Do send me your email address. I really think we have a strong connection here. GB

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 5th Feb 2009, 11:30pm
Post #26

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
i was in the 10th at ruchill st and then 144th at garbraid ave church left and joined the army cadets first GH in hostpur st but left to join c troop caledonian for 4 yrs

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 6th Feb 2009, 04:02am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Hi Dolkin,

The 69th BB were in Ruchill Church in Ruchill Street, in fact they were one of the biggest BB groups in Glasgow during my childhood. Haven't heard of the 10th BB being there. Was the 144th associated with Gairbraid Church which I attended for many years?

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 6th Feb 2009, 08:03am
Post #28

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
QUOTE (muriel inch @ 23rd May 2007, 09:35pm) *
Can anyone advise me if the boy's brigade was restricted to Glasgow boys or scottish boys.

I can't say if it ever was in the past but it certainly isn't today.

The organization thrives in many countries in the world. Even in a tiny country like Singapore we have several BB companies and their pipe band competition day is one of my favourite days out.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 6th Feb 2009, 10:51am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember when we lived in Kings Park there was a Church in Castlemilk Road and one Sunday in the month the BBs walked through the streets on their way to Church, with the pipes and drums playing.
Our living room window looked on to the back garden and I used to open the window to hear the band. When they came down our street I stood at the door to watch them pass by.

Nowadays we never hear of the BBs, Cubs, or Scouts and I think it's a sad loss for the present generation.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
DOLKIN
post 6th Feb 2009, 08:49pm
Post #30

Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,372
144 was garbraid church 10th was defo in the church in ruchill st i was about 7 or 8 then stayed in craigmont st

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.