Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Boys Brigade, History
big tommy
post 13th Oct 2005, 02:42pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
In 1883 , William Alexander Smith formed The Boys Brigade . He originally came from Pennyland ,in Caithness which overlooks Dunnet Head .

He was just 15 when he travelled south to Glasgow . More to grasp opportunities than from necessity .

Smith came from a breed of Scots that gets the appellation 'solid stock' .His father had been an officer in the Army as had his Grand father before him .The Smith's'of Scotland were the rock foundations of the country. The base material of the 'onward Christian Soldiers 'with God in their hearts and prepared to defend that way of life .

He based the Boys Brigade on a military style Christian soldier .

Thus it was in 1883 , in a little hall in North 'Woodside Road the movement began with just 28 boys . Two night later the number had risen to 59 and the Boys Brigade was under way .

It was at the same time another football club destined to be as famous as Rangers appeared on the scene .It was Celtic.

Every night there was a 'fall-in' parade ,no one was allowed to miss 2 consecutive drills as their meetings were called

As word spread round the high-density Woodside area ,bounded by Garscube Road and Great Western Road ,boys found it a great way of spending time in the company of pals .

When Smith took his idea to Harvard in U S A he was made to realise that if you put a 'five penny cap ' on a boy ,he turned into a soldier .

The Bible was his gun . The uniform made him a part of things .

When Smith tried to start up in Belfast ,the irish wanted the name to be 'The Whiteboys', But after much persuasion the name 'the Boys Brigade .became official .

As it was Church based , not very many Catholic boys bothered to take part ,which is a pity ,I think ,as it might have ended the bigotry across the City .

Most Catholic boys ,like myself , joined the Boy Scouts and were affiliated to a Chapel .but we did everything the Boys Brigade did ,the difference was, we attended our own Catholic Church .

This of course meant, pals or not ,on a Thursday night we each went out separate ways .

The Boys Brigade spiralled to ever increasing numbers ,although , I am not sure if it is as strong today .

Still, among the famous ex-Boys Brigade were such people as :-

Allen Wells , Cameron Sharp , Kenny Dalglish , Ally Mc Coist , Danny McGrain, Ross King , Andy Cameron , Roy Castle . Metropolitan Police Officer , Sir David Mc Nee and Scottish Parliamentarian Sir David Steel .

Notice too . They are all Protestants

Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 13th Oct 2005, 06:07pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
You can add me to your list Tommy. I won't mind. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Catherine
post 13th Oct 2005, 06:20pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
Interestin story therr Tommy...Unlike Rab ah wis a Brownie fur three whole weeks!
Thing wis, it wis oan a Tuesday night, ten mins afore ye'd tae be therr we remembert it wis Brownie night and we'd aw be scramblin aboot lookin fur the uniform, then ye'd find it an it wis crushed tae hell.
This pantamine went oan the three weeks straight till ma mum said stuff it yer no gaun...Here that's a guid name furra book is it no...The three week Brownie laugh.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...

+Quote Post
Heather
post 13th Oct 2005, 06:33pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I remember both the Boys Scouts and The Boys Brigade.

One Sunday in the month the Scouts would meet in St. Joseph's Hall for their Church Parade. They would march right round the area. I'm not sure exactly how far they walked, but they would come down the Garscube Rd with the pipeband leading the way. There was always some people out to wave to them, and by the time they passed our street we knew it was time to go to Mass.

When I was living in King's Park there was a Church in Castlemilk Rd. and they had the Boy's Brigade. They would have their Church Parade one a month. The Brigade would come right down King's Acre Rd. where I lived. As soon as I heard the pipeband I always went outside to watch. No I did not wave, but many a time I felt like doing just that.

I think it is a pity we no longer seem to have these organisations. The boy's always seemed to have a lot of fun going camping weekends and going away to their summer camp.

I know the Brownies are still going on, as my 7yrs old g'daughter joined them a few weeks ago. So far she really enjoys going to the meetings.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 13th Oct 2005, 06:50pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
After 50 years I still remember the Motto of the Boys Brigade which we recited every Parade night (Thurs) after the evening hymn. 'The Object of the Boys Brigade is the advancement of Christ's Kingdom among Boys and the promotion of habits of Obedience, Reverence, Discipline, Self-respect and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness.' What more admirable attainments could a young man aspire to?. Even without the obvious references to the Christian religion, what a pity that so much of what Smith and his followers taught is so generally lacking in youth today. But there is still hope!.

+Quote Post
glasgowguerilla
post 15th Jan 2006, 06:14am
Post #6

Resident
Member No.: 2,837
i remeber the boys brigade like it was yesterday i was in them for 2 tears in maryhill ....my dad said it was a great prepatory for the navy ...i remember sure and steadfast....the song is lost as i am 45 ...but i always remember ..i thought i was it because i had a uniform in them days and when yer a wee yin it is good tae feel like that ..did any one join anywhere in maryhill would love to know please feel free to contact me all i do remeber is my freind micheal glen was in them ...

+Quote Post
Elma
post 15th Jan 2006, 08:03am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I remember going to the Brownies in Scotstoun. We met in either Scotstoun School or in Scotstoun East church across the road. Like you Catherine it was always a scramble getting there. First getting into the uniform, remember the tie which had to be the right length and then not wanting to leave the house as Dick Barton, Special Agent came on the radio every night at quarter to seven and the Brownies started at 7. Ran all the way but was always late, it's a wonder I even got into Guides when I was older. Mu husband was in the Scouts in Pollokshields but his brother rebelled and joined the Boys Brigade. Still think about them when we sing "We have an anchor" in Church these days.

+Quote Post
Oor Wullie
post 24th Apr 2007, 09:21am
Post #8

City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,469
I thought I would resurrect this one, since it was on the go before my time here at GGBB.

I was in the 23rd Glasgow Company , Boy's Brigade, and loved it.

The organization drew a bit of flak a few years ago since it was felt that it was trying to turn boys into "little soldiers". Maybe so.

We met here in Martyr's Church, Stanhope Street.

Anybody else in the BB ?.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
mitchell
post 4th May 2007, 10:04pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,377
Tommy I was a member of the 1st Glasgow lifeboys and the boys brigade.
We had our hall in North Woodside Road and the church we attended was Stevensons Memorial.
Played the bugle and the cornet.
I might like also to add that we had a great camp at Portavadie on Loch Fyne which was owned by the 1st Glasgow.

+Quote Post
*muriel inch*
post 23rd May 2007, 09:48pm
Post #10

Just read with interest the article on the boy's brigade. My grandfather attended the founding meetng and stated as he was a new boy was unable to join. Have no information on my grandfather until he married in 1890. Cananyone advise me if the boy's brigade was restricted to Glasgow boys or scottish boys.

Thanks Muriel Inch
murielinch@shaw.ca

+Quote Post
Waverley
post 16th Jun 2007, 02:46am
Post #11

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,832
I stared 1943 as a life boy going on to the Boys Brigade and then becoming an officer off the 139th Company in Dennistoun at St Andrews East Church which was beside Alexandra Park.
I throughly enjoyed my time and only left when I decided to go to New Zealand in 1961.
I was involved with the 4th Wellington Boys Brigade Company for a few years

+Quote Post
Waverley
post 16th Jun 2007, 02:53am
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,832
I stared 1943 as a life boy going on to the Boys Brigade and then becoming an officer off the 139th Company in Dennistoun at St Andrews East Church which was beside Alexandra Park.
I throughly enjoyed my time and only left when I decided to go to New Zealand in 1961.
I was involved with the 4th Wellington Boys Brigade Company for a few years

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 23rd Aug 2007, 12:36pm
Post #13

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
my father ,who is 74 in october,was in the boys brigade .he still has his membership card and a couple of other items from this time.even although over the years when we were having a clearout of unused or no longer needed items ,he would never part with these items which must hold some very happy memories for him. bye

+Quote Post
maureenl
post 21st Oct 2007, 07:52pm
Post #14

Special Visitor
Member No.: 4,873
My son 16 is still in the Boys Brigade. He got his Presidents badge in the summer and is now working toward his Queens badge smile.gif

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 22nd Oct 2007, 01:23am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Good for him Maureen, it's nice to hear that young boys still go to the Boys Brigade.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.