Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When Mo Johnston Signed For Rangers, 20 years ago this week
ScotsmanfraeItal...
post 6th Jul 2011, 04:23am
Post #16

Unpacking
Member No.: 11,157
I've jist read what true Scotsmen and Glaswegians, regardless of religion, politics or race, think about this former healthy rivalry having turned intae true shame.
I'm a die-hard bluenose from Ayr, all my family is, I hardly ever had friends supporting Celtic until I moved to Glasgow, but I was Scottish above all, and I still feel I care for this land and this people.
I'm a Briton, I feel British, I want Scotland to be kept British, yet this doesnae mean I've forgotten what they did and in some way still do down there at Downing St.
I'm a working class lad, many of us are, in Scotland and also those I often meet at Ibrox. I wonder how we can still manage to take all that crap, my fellow Gers average fans, who constantly now have to bear being called 'fascists' fans of a 'fascist' club. An obvious lie only some idiots could believe in (yet the press often backs this lie), but our extremistic fans are responsible for that.
I'm growing more and more ashamed of this, I grew up supposing I was supporting a football club in blue which represented the best of Scottish football and its people (half of it at least!). I'd never even imagine I would one day be pointed out as a fascist...
Yet this lie goes on because of those at Ibrox, who probably don't even know what happened at Stairway 13 30 years ago...
The club must urgently do something about it, I'm really growing tired. Rangers against racism and fascism is an urgent issue, if we can make that, then we'll think about how to battle out sectarianism, that is the real problem...
I'm happy to have read your comments, they ease my pain and make me feel happy to be Scottish and a Gers fan, but most of all a human being. smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lesley brown
post 6th Jul 2011, 07:51pm
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 10,927
I also remember the day Mo signed for Rangers. Like everyone else found it hard to get my head round it at the time. I ran about with Mo when I was at school. Every Sunday me and my pal would go up tae St Rochs and watch him and his pal Graham Mitchell (Mitch) who later went on to play for Hamilton Ackies and then Hibs play football on the playing fields at St Rochs. Mo went out with my friend for years and I went out with Mitch. After he signed for Rangers I can remember attending a blue night at Auchingech Miners club and Mo was the guest speaker. Give him his due though after all those years he never forgot me and even signed a programme and a couple of pics for my kids. All my friends thought it amazing at the time as he also let them all have a photo taken with him although his bodyguards didnt take too kindly to it. To this day I still have the signed programmes etc which were passed on to my Son a great Rangers supporter in his 20s who hopefully one day will pass on to his kids. Nice keepsake.

--------------------
Marriage is a wonderful invention but then again so is a bicycle repair kit.

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 8th Jul 2011, 10:46am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (ScotsmanfraeItaly @ 6th Jul 2011, 02:16pm) *
I've jist read what true Scotsmen and Glaswegians, regardless of religion, politics or race, think about this former healthy rivalry having turned intae true shame.
I'm a die-hard bluenose from Ayr, all my family is, I hardly ever had friends supporting Celtic until I moved to Glasgow, but I was Scottish above all, and I still feel I care for this land and this people.
I'm a Briton, I feel British, I want Scotland to be kept British, yet this doesnae mean I've forgotten what they did and in some way still do down there at Downing St.
I'm a working class lad, many of us are, in Scotland and also those I often meet at Ibrox. I wonder how we can still manage to take all that crap, my fellow Gers average fans, who constantly now have to bear being called 'fascists' fans of a 'fascist' club. An obvious lie only some idiots could believe in (yet the press often backs this lie), but our extremistic fans are responsible for that.
I'm growing more and more ashamed of this, I grew up supposing I was supporting a football club in blue which represented the best of Scottish football and its people (half of it at least!). I'd never even imagine I would one day be pointed out as a fascist...
Yet this lie goes on because of those at Ibrox, who probably don't even know what happened at Stairway 13 30 years ago...
The club must urgently do something about it, I'm really growing tired. Rangers against racism and fascism is an urgent issue, if we can make that, then we'll think about how to battle out sectarianism, that is the real problem...
I'm happy to have read your comments, they ease my pain and make me feel happy to be Scottish and a Gers fan, but most of all a human being. smile.gif

I don't give a s---- about any of the two clubs mentioned. However Rangers for many years, in defiance of all laws to the contrary, refused to allow Catholics to play for them. This obnoxious situation sat comfortably with their sectarian fan base for decades. Does refusal to allow Catholics to be treated as human beings in any way appear to be different from Jews being excluded from the Olympic games in Berlin. If the fascist label sticks for what was a vile discrimination, wear it.
By the way my father was a life long member of the rangers football club and we have had their past players in my home in Govan.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 8th Jul 2011, 12:14pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Rangers no longer have a Sectarian Policy. Move on, we have.

I know of no Rangers Supporter who Faught for Franco.

The Facist mantel sits more comfortably with those who had supporters who rallied to The Fascist Cause with Eoin O'Duffy,many from Scotland and not Rangers Supporters .!!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
jojax64
post 8th Jul 2011, 01:12pm
Post #20

City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,789
The day that any player from any opposition club can bless himself on the park at Ibrox is the day I will believe there is no sectarian policy at RFC. Rangers' foreign Catholic players are instructed to do this only in the tunnel. Why? because as G. Spiers puts it, they have the most socially backward fanbase in Europe.
Furthermore, the club is inherently racist...ie anti-Irish. Never had a ROI international in the first team, and never will. The only SPL club that's upheld this policy.
5 Eufa sanctions in 5 years are not for nothing....there is a BIG problem there, and it starts with those at the highest echelons within the club.

Mo Johnston? Just another one of SDM's circus stunts that was bankrolled by the Bank of Scotland....and almost bankrupted the club. wink.gif

--------------------
Nil Sine Labore

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 8th Jul 2011, 02:38pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Celtic Fans made it a point of honour to wear Argentinian Football Shirts, during the Falklands War, to show support and solidarity for Galtieri The Fascist Dictator.!!

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
jojax64
post 8th Jul 2011, 03:04pm
Post #22

City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dylan @ 8th Jul 2011, 03:31pm) *
Celtic Fans made it a point of honour to wear Argentinian Football Shirts, during the Falklands War, to show support and solidarity for Galtieri The Fascist Dictator.!!

Did they really?
Maybe they were expressing their disapproval of another overseas war?

Fascism could be found much closer to home....in Glasgow, for example. One such fanatical Fascist was noneother than Billy Fullerton, leader of the Billy Boys. A song that's always been reveered on the terraces of Ibrox. It still would be, had UEFA not stepped in and did what the SFA failed to do in over 100 years of tacet approval. wink.gif

--------------------
Nil Sine Labore

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 8th Jul 2011, 05:54pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (jojax64 @ 8th Jul 2011, 04:57pm) *
Did they really?
Maybe they were expressing their disapproval of another overseas war?

laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

That's a cracker, so it is !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
jojax64
post 8th Jul 2011, 10:40pm
Post #24

City Key Holder
Why? We're still involved in unpopular conficts. Then we complain if we get a little of our own medicine. wink.gif

Anywiy...whit's this got tae dae wi Mo Johnstone?

--------------------
Nil Sine Labore

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Jul 2011, 10:52pm
Post #25

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
The topic is: When Mo Johnston Signed For Rangers

If you contributions relevant and specific to this subject, i.e. involving the said Maurice Johnston, then let's have them. Otherwise, from here on in, your post is likely to be deleted.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Jul 2011, 11:01pm
Post #26

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Here's a wee reminder:

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 9th Jul 2011, 12:47am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
First inkling I had was on Radio Clyde, 11 am news. And, as Lesley said , remember telling people who hadnt heard, and to a man and woman it was Eh?

Maurice Johnson has signed for Rangers

Eh?

In terms of getting one over the rivals it was a master stroke. And Souness was proved right. It met my approval.

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 9th Jul 2011, 12:27pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
Hey GG, you should have shown wee Mo's last minute winner into the Copland Road net against Celtic and the sheer thrill that was evident on his face when he celebrated with the Gers fans.

Great memory and what an atmosphere that day.

Or even the lob over the Celtic keeper in his next visit to Celtic park (if memory serves me right).

Go on, show us those. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 9th Jul 2011, 01:09pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
Well go on! Show us! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 10th Jul 2011, 01:05am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
I dont collect You Tube vids, but my memory says that Mos goal against Celtic at Ibrox was at the sellick end. The Broomloan End. Could be wrong of course.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.