Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow And Clydeside Industry In 1938
Dave Grieve
post 6th Jan 2016, 05:32am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (wombat @ 5th Jan 2016, 07:10pm) *
biggrin.gif or tee hee and Dylan rolleyes.gif hey dave I sometimes bake my own bread,i left some sitting around for nearly 2weeks,it got hard and dry but did not mould

Mine is the same, hard and dry but never mouldy.

Bilslands Bakery.
My faither in-law who worked there, was over here on holiday when they closed the doors. He was devastated. According to him it was the best 'fiddle' he ever had. His story was that the whole of the nightshift was involved and often it would be 'one truck load' of bread for the company and 'one truck load' for the workers leaving the bakery. Everybody from the foremen to stock checkers, loaders and drivers was involved.

On that scale of theft I am not surprised they closed down
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 6th Jan 2016, 09:20am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Three of my mates worked there in the 60s on the delivery vans. Regular scam was taking returns (before the days of sell by dates), bread past it's best, and passing it off to the next shop. Extras got sold to other wee shops and proceeds pocketed. They all left for other jobs pretty quickly rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
marydee
post 6th Jan 2016, 11:14am
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
I worked in Massey's at Govan cross before I got married and nearly died when the Bilsland breadman told me the price of a wedding cake I couldn't afford it . The next day he came in with a leaflet with all the designs and told me to pick the one I wanted and it would only be about a third of the price. The cake was duly delivered and it was beautiful. The surprise came when it was cut it was birthday cake, the driver had got the confectioner to decorate two birthday cakes as wedding cakes there was no fiddle I paid for two birthday cakes.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 7th Jan 2016, 12:47pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (Melody @ 5th Jan 2016, 05:48pm) *
I was wondering about Rab and THH and some others hope all are well.

I wish they'd stop tampering with our food but then greed prevails in every aspect of life these days.

Hello Melody

I know this is 'off topic'. I miss Rab and THH. I remember reading a post by THH, or Tee Hee Hee whch he signed in by. He said then that his eyesight was failing. Even then his sense of humour came through. A big loss to the GG website.

Danny

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Jan 2016, 01:40pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Hi Danny, I can report that oor Rab is fine, I received a wee pm from him. smile.gif As for THH I'll drop him a wee pm too and hopefully hear from him. smile.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Jan 2016, 01:44pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Melody @ 7th Jan 2016, 02:48pm) *
Hi Danny, I can report that oor Rab is fine, I received a wee pm from him. smile.gif As for THH I'll drop him a wee pm too and hopefully hear from him. smile.gif

Tomi is doing fine. His eye treatment has arrested the condition and he even reports some improvement.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 7th Jan 2016, 01:46pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Melody @ 7th Jan 2016, 03:48pm) *

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 7th Jan 2016, 01:48pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 7th Jan 2016, 03:52pm) *
Tomi is doing fine. His eye treatment has arrested the condition and he even reports some improvement.

thumbup.gif thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Jan 2016, 01:54pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Aw all good news. thumbup.gif smile.gif

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 7th Jan 2016, 02:40pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
That is good news.

Has anyone heard from Purple?

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 7th Jan 2016, 11:50pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
I know this is off topic, but thanks Bilbo and Melody for the good news regarding Tomi and Rab.

Back on to the topic.

1938 was the year of the Empire Exhibition in Glasgow. We couldn't show the world now, what we manufactured in those days in spite of no Health and Safety regulations!

I was supposd to go to the Exhibition with my class at primary school. I couldn't go because I had the measles or some other contagious disease. The school was across the road from my three story tenement window. I can remember 'bubbling' at the window when my classmates departed in a group for the Exhibition. Some memories never leave you!

The film showing the number of ships on the Clyde brought back memories for me. Seeing the City of Benares in the film was, in particular, poignant.

Danny

+Quote Post
Elma
post 8th Jan 2016, 05:12pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I remember the Empire Exhibition, I was only three at the time but my Mum and Dad thought it well worth travelling up from Annan, where we lived, to see such a great event. I was with them and so that I couldn't wander away I was put into reins with the long strap, you know the thing that was worn in the pram that clipped on to the rings at the side. It would probably be called child abuse now huh.gif I don't remember much about the exhibition itself but I did visit the remains when my Glasgow school choir was at the Arts Building (can't remember it's proper name!)

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 15th Jan 2016, 12:37am
Post #28

QUOTE (lubbock @ 31st Jan 2015, 09:48pm) *
Sad to see another piece of Glasgow's industrial past being demolished ,Bislands bakery with its iconic white lettered name reduced to rubble ...when it's gone it's gone .....

And much thanks to the rabid southern Valkyrie, Maggie (hammer of the Scots) Thatcher. Who brought untold wealth to British England, and devastated the North for all generations.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 20th Jan 2016, 12:41am
Post #29

QUOTE (marydee @ 6th Jan 2016, 11:22am) *
I worked in Massey's at Govan cross before I got married and nearly died when the Bilsland breadman told me the price of a wedding cake I couldn't afford it . The next day he came in with a leaflet with all the designs and told me to pick the one I wanted and it would only be about a third of the price. The cake was duly delivered and it was beautiful. The surprise came when it was cut it was birthday cake, the driver had got the confectioner to decorate two birthday cakes as wedding cakes there was no fiddle I paid for two birthday cakes.

I remember the name well as I lived only a few mins. walk to Guvin Cross. I cant for the life of me remember exactly where and what Massey's was?

+Quote Post
angel
post 20th Jan 2016, 01:07am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 20th Jan 2016, 12:49am) *
I remember the name well as I lived only a few mins. walk to Guvin Cross. I cant for the life of me remember exactly where and what Massey's was?

Massey's was a well known grocery store , I don't know where it was in Govan
I knew where it was in Partick .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.