Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Memories Of A Glasgow Childhood 1960s, Slideshow
taurus
post 22nd Sep 2017, 06:37am
Post #31

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
We lived in Forrestfield St , Garngad,,overlooking the steel works and the gas works with a view from our top story flat to Bothwell on a clear day.The whole street had nothing but single ends and was a "lovely red building",but a slum just the same with 4 doors on the stair and 2 toilets to share. One neighbour told me then in about 1960 she`d been to the Mitchell library and saw the plans for the future of the area. I didn`t even know where the Mitchell library was,,and wasn`t interested,but when my husband went to the Corporation he was told 20 years on the waiting list to get re - housed,we went to Australia. As it eventually turned out,what the neighbour saw in the Mitchell came to pass,so 20 years was the wrong answer from the corporation .
When I was very young and growing up in Bridgeton,how I envied those who moved away to Pollock and Carntyne .( Easterhouse and Barlanark came much later.)
I am not blinkered about the slum conditions in our room and kitchen ,with the house over run with mice,in our shoes ,everywhere,but over and above that,the sense of family with all the familiar neighbours around us,we knew the names of every single family up every close,it was HOME. No other word to describe it,the living conditions faded in to the background ,when our good neighbours were all in the same boat. Gradually,one by one they moved away,until we were left with no familiar faces around us,as the good people moved on and up,in moved the scruff,and life as we knew it disintegrated. Tragic.My mother never saw a day coming when there would be no dozens of shops around the corner,and in every street,so she flatly refused to put her name down for a "new house",and we got stuck in a rut.When I come back to Glasgow,often,I see a different place to what I left,but when that plane is descending to Glasgow airport my heart skips a beat,and always will.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 22nd Sep 2017, 11:52am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 5th Jan 2015, 11:46am) *
...where the communities were broke up and the people thrown to the far corners of Glasgow leaving them isolated and abandoned ...

A shrewd point made there, Scotsman.

When individuals seek their lot in territories new they are oft-times regarded as being adventurus; happy-go-lucky, types but when tribes; and we are tribal, are uprooted from their forests and relocated in, for them, unfamiliar surroundings there must be dire feelings of isolation and abandonment.

The Ring Road Project cut a great swathe through the forest of the indigenous natives of the Toonheid who were first uprooted and then abandoned in fields too new to develope any kind of culture: Castlemilk and The Big E spring to mind.

When I first read Onyer's "Parly Road" I was only reading a wee novel; in weegie parlez too, in chapters before pitting the licht oot an' gawn tae sleep and at first wished he had used proper English instead but then as I got into the series I realised this author was telling his story his way and had been there and got the T shirt.
I can't tell you how many times I've gone back to the first page of the first book and read it all through again and dying tae get ma hands on the next in the series as soon as it became available on Kindle. (I'm in the middle of "The Lost Boy and The Gardener's Daughter: my favourite, again).

It's fictional of course but we say that don't we?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.