Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Christchurch 2014, Uplifting photograph taken 3 July 2014
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 3rd Jul 2014, 11:35am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
I thought GG members would like to see this photo, taken by my son from the hillside suburb of Scarborough this morning. Although there is little of the city left to see, this view reminds of us of the beauty surrounding Christchurch.

Kia Ora,

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 20th Aug 2014, 07:27pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Stunning picture SKL,the Southern Alps look amazing...cannot image how life is in CHCH....before I met my wife I went out with a really nice girl from New Brighton.....we met in Edinburgh and I met her family,often wonder what happened to them.....brilliant people!

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 20th Aug 2014, 08:46pm
Post #3

City Key Holder
Good to hear from you, Ross. Yes, it is a beautiful view and gives us all hope. You will notice on the lower left of the photo, a smallish rock formation on the beach. It was formerly called "Shag Rock" but after it collapsed during the February earthquake, it was unofficially renamed "Shag Pile" - fairly typical Kiwi humour!

When I arrived in Christchurch in 1963, New Brighton was a thriving, popular seaside suburb. At that time there was no Saturday shopping in the city, so every weekend thousands of locals descended on New Brighton, where there were special shopping concessions. Over the years, as progress was eventually made and weekend shopping was extended to the city and suburbs, New Brighton declined rapidly.

Despite the amazing efforts of locals to revive the area, it has become very run-down and neglected. Add to this the severe damage caused to New Brighton in the earthquakes, it is a very sad place now and is being avoided by weekend visitors, along with most of the other seaside suburbs.

Christchurch has a beautiful, sunny day today and I am looking forward to the start of Spring in a few weeks time.

Kia Ora,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 14th Feb 2016, 02:41am
Post #4

City Key Holder
Unfortunately we have had another unwelcome 5.7 earthquake at 1.13 pm today in Christchurch. It was situated 15 km east of the city and 15 km deep. There has been further damage to the Christchurch Cathedral and some liquefaction in the eastern suburbs but there does not seem to be any serious damage.

Not sure long it lasted but it shook the whole house and was very noisy. The attached photo was taken at Sumner, where more of the cliffs have collapsed.

There were several smaller aftershocks and I am hoping it will settle down now - we have had enough!

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
tombro
post 14th Feb 2016, 10:03am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Thoughts, again, are with you and yours, SKL, together with warm thoughts for the residents of Christchurch ! Let's hope all is not as serious as before.

Tombro unsure.gif unsure.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 14th Feb 2016, 10:32am
Post #6

City Key Holder
Although we always knew there was a chance of another strong quake, it didn't help that new modelling completed by GNS Science after Sunday's 5.7 magnitude earthquake shows there is a 63 per cent chance of another 5 to 5.9 magnitude earthquake hitting Christchurch within the next 12 months.

That figure was 49 per cent before Sunday's quake.

At least this has forced us to review and re-stock our emergency supplies!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 14th Feb 2016, 10:43am
Post #7

City Key Holder
Thanks for your concern and kind thoughts Tombro - much appreciated. Let's hope there are no more shakes when the Aussie cricket team is playing the second test in Christchurch next week.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
Melody
post 14th Feb 2016, 02:10pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Stay safe Scots Kiwi Lass, fingers crossed that that's the end of it.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 14th Feb 2016, 04:59pm
Post #9

City Key Holder
Thanks Melody. Yesterday's shake has brought it all up again, just when we were starting to relax. My 12 year old granddaughter is taking it hard and was very upset. We have had at least 30 aftershocks but most of them are only minor, thank goodness.

I am off to Wellington today with my sister and brother-in-law. We are meeting up with extended family members going to the Edinburgh Tattoo. It's hard to believe it is 16 years since it was last in Wellington, the first time the Tattoo was held outside of Scotland. If it is as good as last time, we are in for a great night's entertainment.

Cheers,
Betty

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
tottie ann
post 14th Feb 2016, 08:00pm
Post #10

Visitor
Member No.: 1,953

my thoughts are with you keep safe and hope everything settles down soon

+Quote Post
tombro
post 15th Feb 2016, 09:38am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
SKL, have a great time in Wellington and enjoy the tattoo ! Just hope the Aussie Cricketers don't pike out on Christchurch ! They're well known for not facing up to real challenges (eg Pakistan and Bangladesh)! tongue.gif tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 19th Feb 2016, 10:59am
Post #12

City Key Holder
QUOTE (tottie ann @ 14th Feb 2016, 09:08pm) *
my thoughts are with you keep safe and hope everything settles down soon

Thank you Tottie Ann, your kind message is much appreciated.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 19th Feb 2016, 11:09am
Post #13

City Key Holder
QUOTE (tombro @ 15th Feb 2016, 10:46am) *
SKL, have a great time in Wellington and enjoy the tattoo ! Just hope the Aussie Cricketers don't pike out on Christchurch ! They're well known for not facing up to real challenges (eg Pakistan and Bangladesh)! tongue.gif tongue.gif

Hi Tombro,

The Tattoo was quite spectacular and very uplifting. There were only a few empty seats in the stadium and there was a vicious wind blowing but it didn't spoil the evening.

The only problem was that owing to the majority of the audience being in the older age group, many with disabilities, leaving the venue at the finish was a bit of a shambles. I travelled with friends by train from Whitby which was easy enough but getting back home was something else, with many people unable to get transport till aftger midnight. The organisers have promised better handling of the situation tonight and at the remaining performances. It very a well produced and polished performance by all the bands and other groups and I am so pleased to have been part of it.

Back to the cricket - looking forward to tomorrow's test in Christchurch, though I will not have much time to watch it on TV. The weather is expected to be very hot - here's hoping for more sportsmanship from the Aussies, AND a win for the Kiwis!

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
tombro
post 20th Feb 2016, 08:58am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
SKL, I see that McCullum set about creating his own effort to rock Christchurch again ! Great effort in the opening innings of his last test. I'm sure that innings would have given you and your fellow residents of Christchurch a little uplift !

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 20th Feb 2016, 11:18am
Post #15

City Key Holder
QUOTE (tombro @ 20th Feb 2016, 10:06am) *
SKL, I see that McCullum set about creating his own effort to rock Christchurch again ! Great effort in the opening innings of his last test. I'm sure that innings would have given you and your fellow residents of Christchurch a little uplift !

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif

Yes, Tombro, it was a very special innings from Brendan and quite emotional being his last game for New Zealand. His batting has left many wondering why Brendan is retiring! He successfully turned the game in NZ's favour. Australia has made a good start but I was very pleased when Warner was removed by Trent Boult.

The after shocks continue - there have been 12 since I got back from Wellington, though I didn't feel any of them - I must be getting tougher! I hope my sister copes with the shakes when she arrives in Christchurch tomorrow.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.