Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Blindcraft Building Saracen Street, Former Easiephit Footwear in Possilpark
flam
post 7th Apr 2009, 09:04am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Big Tommy .I am afraid the Blindcraft Building was demolished years ago, aS Post 5 will verify Cheers Flim
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
big tommy
post 7th Apr 2009, 04:25pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,304
Dear ~Flam
Im sorry ,but i havent been down that direction in years . I think someone said it was now an ugly hole in the ground.
Well nows the time to make something of it .A Cinema would be nice. We have to travel into the City now to see a film on the big screen .
Big Tommy

--------------------
ah try ma best

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 7th Apr 2009, 10:42pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 6th Apr 2009, 01:46am) *
Thats one more location, I have to touch base with again.

Ach buggerit, looks like ah wus too late, yit another wee bit of oor history gawn. Wit a scunner. mad.gif

Is there nae stoaping these people from wrecking oor toon.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
beezzneezz1
post 20th Jun 2009, 11:54pm
Post #19

Visitor
Member No.: 6,906
hi , i think theres gony be somthing built there coz theres a sign post up noo, i read it but i think its gony be a doctors , shop(s) and a few other things wink.gif

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 11th Jul 2009, 01:24am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi all someone mentiond the easiephit in the blind craft this photo is the old one in saracen st

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
possilgirl
post 12th Jul 2009, 03:44pm
Post #21

Visitor
Member No.: 408
I remember when I was young and all the blind ppl would get on the buses it always amazed me they knew what buses to get on lol ,,, can anyone mind when it went on fire

+Quote Post
fmc001
post 22nd Dec 2013, 09:41pm
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 25,857
Hi

I grew up on Stoneyhurst Street just on the other side of the Blindcraft building pictured above.

I am in the process of trying to collect some old pictures of Possilpark and would love to get a copy of the one above. Would it be possible to get a copy??

Regards

Fred

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 23rd Dec 2013, 10:15am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Fred, welcome to the boards. The photo is from the Virtualmitchell web site, if you go on to it you can copy the photos but they all have a watermark in the centre ( if you look closely at the one above you will see it). Sorry, I can't post the link on this machine, let us know if you have problems finding it.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 23rd Dec 2013, 12:35pm
Post #24

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
Hi All, I remember very well the Blind Craft Factory, a neighbor of mine worked there for years. They used to do a very good business in doing shoe repair also. When l was at Possil Jun. Sec. in the new building, our science classrooms were at the top of the building, it was slightly higher than the blind Craft building. At their lunch time during the summer some of them would actually be playing football on the roof . My neighbor told me that this guys had limited vision, but that there was also a bell inside the ball. Don't know if that was true or not. In regards to them getting to the bus stop across Saracen St. there was always a white coated policeman who would stop traffic to let the blind get across the road. They would get out of work around the same time as we got out of school.
While l am on here l would like to wish everybody a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Cheers
Foxy

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 23rd Dec 2013, 07:52pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
welcome fred just google Mitchell library Glasgow when you get there click on possilpark district there are plenty old photos on it cheers

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 23rd Dec 2013, 07:54pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
here is one

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 5th Mar 2016, 10:10pm
Post #27

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
Between being created as the Easiphit Warehouse and more lately known as the Blind Craft Building, was it also known as (more colloquially), The Blind Asylum?

There was a wee shop up from the corner of the Askit Factory and across from the BA in Killearn Street that sold sweets, dairy, bread and other things. Always a stopover to buy sweeties on a Sunday rather than put money in the plate at chapel across the road. yes.gif

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post
The Duke of Drum...
post 28th Nov 2016, 09:32am
Post #28

Settling In
Member No.: 5,182
found this old one in my collection: https://flic.kr/p/8NEpeT

+Quote Post
serabash
post 8th Dec 2016, 03:04am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
somewhere in the back of my mind I remember my granny getting her bed made by blindcraft in the 60s because it was to fit in the bed recess and wasn't a standard size. I think she had that same bed until she passed away in 1984 ,no change your bed every 8 years for her lol.
I also remember going to easiephit at parkhead cross for sandals in 1969 for our first family holiday abroad to majorca. I got two pairs one white one red and a white handbag to do me for the fortnight I was thirteen and remember being in a huff with my mum because I wasn't allowed a red handbag too. was it just my age or was as my granny said I was a spoilt wee bisom. still not too sure what a bisom is lol I thought it was a sweeping brush but that doesn't make any sense wink.gif

+Quote Post
ExPOW
post 8th Dec 2016, 09:36pm
Post #30

Super Resident
Member No.: 13,466
"bisom" is a Glasgow spin, sometimes mispronounced as "bizum", on a typical Besom Broom.

So you were right.

Think broomstick and you have the visual.
Click here for pictures;

Images

Re Post #20

Used to look in that Easiephit window often and always thought is was way too crammed.

--------------------
Held prisoner in Scotland from 1953. Escaped to England in 1970 then to Homeland Canada in 1980.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.