Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Look Of Sunnylaw Street, from old to the new
storeman16
post 23rd Aug 2008, 12:47pm
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,971
Hi everyone i was born at number 42 Sunnylaw Street back in 1963

my dads family lived there since the 30s in the old close type buildings until 1969

how things have changed we moved upto High Possil area of Parkhouse from 1969 - 1981.

lived in Germany for a while with forces until 93 came back Scotland now live in Loch Lomond

I still now and again drive through Glasgow and always drive towards Balmore Road where i go past the old Vogue Bingo hall / picture hall , doctors surgery remembering my old doctor Randal

then i drove upto my first old school St Cuthberts remembering meeting my first teacher Mrs Leonard omg and notice most of all Tenements have gone , dark buildings with there shiney clean landings of bygone years , people hanging out of their windows sharing a passing comment of good day etc not that long ago for a young man to remember bygone days of true neighbourhood friends.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 23rd Aug 2008, 06:22pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Aye storeman , they were sure some of the great days in auld Glesga biggrin.gif
And welcome tae'yi laugh.gif

+Quote Post
storeman16
post 29th Aug 2008, 02:34pm
Post #3

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,971
Thank you Glasgow Lass for welcome

my mother who is in her late 80s now keeps going back to the old ways of life when she remembers back to time she moved to Glasgow from Perth and met my da & his family who where living in Possil park area of Sunnylaw Street.

His ,living room with its shiny polished Piano in pride of place a few chairs sideboard table etc

learning about his past as a Carter before the war no wonder he kept that from us my old da with a cart lol ohmy.gif done that job until he was 18yrs old until 42 called up and learned how to drive a proper truck ha ha

His family ie his dad must have been known since 30s as his dad occupation also was a Carter / Gas fitter / Bell hanger think its something to do with street lights " gas " i would love to know if anyone knew him his name was George Shearer died in 1951 aged 63 his wife Mary died in 1946 her name was Mary Feeney / Shearer my dads mum sadly he could not make her funeral as he was in Palestine until 1947 mellow.gif

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 21st Apr 2009, 03:42am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi storeman 16 just seen your post a big welcolme to you here is snnylaw st taken by ashfeild on the boards
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
brian432
post 21st Apr 2009, 11:03am
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
G'day Storeman
Have you got a couple of brothers by the names of Martin and Andy. I lived at 34 Sunnylaw st at that time. cool.gif

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
**Wee Yin**
post 15th Jan 2015, 12:02pm
Post #6

Hallo, everyone. I used to live on Sunnylaw Street too, in the 50's and early 60's. I lived up at the top of the street, near where the coup started, but I don't remember the number of the close I lived in. It sure does look like it's changed a lot ...

+Quote Post
flam
post 16th Jan 2015, 06:20pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Welcome to the board Wee Yin, I am almost certain I could possibly know your close, as I stayed at 90, I am presuming you must have at one time played football on the Second Square going by the dates that you posted,I dont want to sound to personal but if you put your name it would be most helpful
Cheers Flim
PS. There is a site on here and it is all about "DISTRICTS" and there is one of POSSILPARK

+Quote Post
*fiona mcauley*
post 31st Aug 2015, 11:40am
Post #8

Hi i lived at 63 sunnylaw st way my granny .. my best pal then was wee katie faulds those were the best dayscof my life. im now 50yrs old .. moved away wen i was 6yrs old. to maryhill .. Now live in parkhead. Wat a dump.

+Quote Post
flam
post 31st Aug 2015, 04:45pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Fiona I remember wee Katie also, I think they stayed in the corner close,Cathy was her Ma, Thomas McFAULDS is on another site called "I was brought up in Possil" and posts regularly
Hope that helps
You must have stayed in Bartons close,Dolemans and big Charlie Cheesecake other wise known as Charlie Clossan

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Aug 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.