Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

25 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is The Union Already Lost?, Referendum: 18th September 2014
carmella
post 25th Aug 2014, 04:29pm
Post #346

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Melody I'm with you on this, whether we choose to vote yes or no, one thing that fails me is why people get so hot under the collar about our great country, yet choose not to live in it, and made their choice in most cases many years ago, when the subject of Independence wasn't even on the table.

Unlike Angel who obviously has had better experiences than me, I have several times in my many visits to other countries - top of the list, when I was in the States that people [albeit ignorant people] thought Scotland was in 'England'.

I knew perfectly well what they were meaning - to many in the USA particularly, they give the UK a generic name of England, so I suppose you could say they really mean the UK or Great Britain but simply say 'England'.

Perhaps Angel has just not come across this, and perhaps she may still.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 26th Aug 2014, 01:26pm
Post #347

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Just a by the by Carmella, a few years ago my daughters were in New York, whilst speaking to a few Americans they explained that they were Scottish. 'Oh Spice Girls' was the retort from the Americans. Now they look nor sound like The Spice Girls than fly in the air (thank goodness) those Americans had no clue as to where Scotland was. My Dad used to say, 'Lets see how Scottish they really and ask them to come back over here. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 26th Aug 2014, 01:46pm
Post #348

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Melody, I am doing stolid missionary work here in Spain. My neighbours are all now well educated. It´s a bit tougher with English expats, who still insist on asking us when our next trip to England is due. Not so much an education problem as one of inbred habit.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 26th Aug 2014, 02:04pm
Post #349

Mega City Key Holder
I agree with both of you, I no longer travel outside of Scotland, but I used to travel an awful lot, and it would be hard for a lot of people who have not yet experienced it, but the British, Scottish, English this I have experienced many many times.

My family background is Malta, and I remember the first time I went over with my mother to see extended family, being totally surprised because, as you know Malta was given the G.C., now it's a tiny wee island, and I was utterly amazed when in discussion with them, that they completely separated Scots from English.

If they can do it, you wonder why the rest of the world can't.

The Maltese are very fond of the Scots, but less keen on the English.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
Melody
post 26th Aug 2014, 02:22pm
Post #350

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 26th Aug 2014, 03:03pm) *
Melody, I am doing stolid missionary work here in Spain. My neighbours are all now well educated. ItŽs a bit tougher with English expats, who still insist on asking us when our next trip to England is due. Not so much an education problem as one of inbred habit.

Good man Bill, I just knew you would. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 26th Aug 2014, 02:24pm
Post #351

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (carmella @ 26th Aug 2014, 03:21pm) *
I agree with both of you, I no longer travel outside of Scotland, but I used to travel an awful lot, and it would be hard for a lot of people who have not yet experienced it, but the British, Scottish, English this I have experienced many many times.

My family background is Malta, and I remember the first time I went over with my mother to see extended family, being totally surprised because, as you know Malta was given the G.C., now it's a tiny wee island, and I was utterly amazed when in discussion with them, that they completely separated Scots from English.

If they can do it, you wonder why the rest of the world can't.

The Maltese are very fond of the Scots, but less keen on the English.

I have found that Italians think the very same Carmella

+Quote Post
Heather
post 26th Aug 2014, 02:57pm
Post #352

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I have been in America many times visiting my sister and have no problem with her friends or my American bro-in-law's relation's with my Scottish accent, they know I am from Scotland.

It's with other people whom I meet, and I have been asked many times if I am Irish. wub.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th Aug 2014, 06:22pm
Post #353

QUOTE (angel @ 8th May 2014, 11:14pm) *
I have never met in my travels , any replies regarding my nationality , that said I was Engish , MAYBE IRISH , not that , that would bother me ,
to my mind it simply means that we are part of a great nation that is called , THE UNITED KINGDOM

Angel I thought you were Canadian and proud of it that being said regarding your nationality you hold a Canadian passport so you are a Canadian, pay taxes here I presume, vote in federal and Provincial elections and have a good life here in Canadaso I don't understand when you post "we are part of a great Nation called United Kingdom" I don't rememberCanada ever becoming part of the UK or maybe I missed the referendum and thought it was Quebec.

You don't pay taxes nor contribute in any other way to Scotland so why may I ask should you be able to vote in a referendum concerning the people who live and work there all their lives, I still have family and friend there I have lived in Canada for nearly 40 years and still get asked sometimes if I'm English especially when travelling in the States but of course a lot of the people there don't know anything about the State where they live never mind Scotland they are very ignorant to places other in their own backyard and some don't even know that.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boile*
post 29th Aug 2014, 01:35am
Post #354

QUOTE (Guest @ 26th Aug 2014, 06:39pm) *
Angel I thought you were Canadian and proud of it that being said regarding your nationality you hold a Canadian passport so you are a Canadian, pay taxes here I presume, vote in federal and Provincial elections and have a good life here in Canadaso I don't understand when you post "we are part of a great Nation called United Kingdom" I don't rememberCanada ever becoming part of the UK or maybe I missed the referendum and thought it was Quebec.

You don't pay taxes nor contribute in any other way to Scotland so why may I ask should you be able to vote in a referendum concerning the people who live and work there all their lives, I still have family and friend there I have lived in Canada for nearly 40 years and still get asked sometimes if I'm English especially when travelling in the States but of course a lot of the people there don't know anything about the State where they live never mind Scotland they are very ignorant to places other in their own backyard and some don't even know that.

Although I am Glaswegian and Scottish from generations I have lived the better part of my life in Australia and would not have it any other way.
I am often when overseas asked if I am American ( my wife is); Anglos will ask if I am Irish. I now speak passable English and regardless of what people may think I still have a distinct Scottish accent, though the Glesga has faded I can still hear my father's voice in mine. Do I have an opinion on Scottish independence from "the Great Nation that is called The united kingdom" I have no right to vote in that referendum as I will never be affected by the out come except emotionally. Those who like myself have chosen to make their homes elsewhere even if they retain citizenship of said "Sceptered Isle" and have told themselves that they will some day return, it is for the citizens of Scotland to decidewithout fear or favour from any quarter.
Soar Alba!

+Quote Post
carmella
post 29th Aug 2014, 10:50am
Post #355

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Heather @ 26th Aug 2014, 04:14pm) *
I have been in America many times visiting my sister and have no problem with her friends or my American bro-in-law's relation's with my Scottish accent, they know I am from Scotland.

It's with other people whom I meet, and I have been asked many times if I am Irish. wub.gif

Heather, I don't know where your sister lives, I am talking more about places I think, that are not used to hearing a Scottish accent or indeed, and English one, certainly off the beaten track this would be the case, but in places such as New York, Chicago and Boston, to name but three, these cities are in States where there is a large Scottish, Irish population going back a hundred years or more, so they are in tune with the different accents, and I certainly wouldn't expect them not to know the difference if they heard me talk.

If you go to the mid west or southern States, it is very different, whether they hear your accent or not seems to be immaterial, they just know you are not American and as soon as you are asked and say Scotland, that's when on numerous occasions, I've had someone or other say 'oh that's in England'. I know perfectly well what they mean, because they think the United Kingdom is England as a whole, they know very little about us or our history.

--------------------
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
ktv
post 29th Aug 2014, 12:22pm
Post #356

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
I live in Cambridge for a wee while and I was totally perplexed as to why loads of Russian people kept coming up to me and speaking Russian...

ermmm im Scottish and I don't know what your saying was my constant response but always got told they though I sounded Russian when they heard me talking.

I still have no idea why Russian thought I sounded Russian when I was speaking in English

when I went to Canada they thought I was German

tis a very strange world indeed lol

+Quote Post
RonD
post 30th Aug 2014, 01:55am
Post #357

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Just been following the thread adn have to agree if I don´t live in Scotland and don´t pay taxes in Scotland why would I ever expect to have the right to vote on the future of those who do. People still ask what way I would vote and I say Iĺl tell you after the referendum whether I´m pleased or not

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 30th Aug 2014, 10:34am
Post #358

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (ktv @ 29th Aug 2014, 01:39pm) *
... I still have no idea why Russian thought I sounded Russian when I was speaking in English

I've had that a few times from Russians over here too, including many other wrong guesses at my nationality but one German guy with whom I was speaking German did ask me which part of "Glesca" I came from: he worked at Glasgow Airport for 12 years and said if I'd been speakin' Mandarin he'd still have been able to spot ma Glesca Accent.
That left me real chuffed.
They always show surprize when told I have no say in the upcoming vote; regardless of the "Proud Scot" Saltire sticker on the back of my car. I tell them that if I hadn't been living here for the last quarter century and more I'd be a YES man at home. thumbup.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Melody
post 30th Aug 2014, 01:35pm
Post #359

Mega City Key Holder
Good on ye THH. smile.gif

+Quote Post
angel
post 30th Aug 2014, 02:00pm
Post #360

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (Guest @ 26th Aug 2014, 05:39pm) *

I don't understand when you post "we are part of a great Nation called United Kingdom" I don't rememberCanada ever becoming part of the UK or maybe I missed the referendum and thought it was Quebec.
---
hello guest , "when I said that we are part of a great nation " , I think that you understood very well that it was simply a slip of the pen on my part , my reference being to the scottish people .

If you have read my posts you will see that at no time have I said , ' I have a right to vote in this referendum " , however guest , I do have an opinion to which I am entitled and that being , I believe in a united Kindom , and it is entirely up to those who live in Scotland to vote for what they believe

also guest I do not need you telling me what I pay or don't in Canada or Scotland but your presumption is correct when it comes to my payment of taxes here in Canada .

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

25 Pages V  « < 22 23 24 25 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.