Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jobs You Worked At, My first job
wee davy
post 24th Feb 2011, 07:07pm
Post #61

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
thx TH - the young un's will be thinkin were all talking in code lol we'll be oan aboot chains and furlongs next haha

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 24th Feb 2011, 10:29pm
Post #62

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
QUOTE (jamcat @ 24th Feb 2011, 01:52am) *
When I worked with the parks department in the 80's we were sent to an old church that was being developed into flats. We cleaned the grounds up and cut the grass and stuff. There are some gravestones in the grounds and one of them is for a person named Septimus Elliss who died in the early 1800's and I stared at it for a minute or two wondering if this was the guys name or what he died of wub.gif

[attachment=29882:imagesCAZ21QU1.jpg]
Septimus Elliss

Hows about this then?
Septimus Ellis died January 1849 aged 86. The date on the slab was the year he purchased the plot No. 16

Attached Image

+Quote Post
jamcat
post 25th Feb 2011, 10:23pm
Post #63

Resident
Member No.: 8,842
QUOTE (Rab @ 24th Feb 2011, 09:52pm) *
Hows about this then?
Septimus Ellis died January 1849 aged 86. The date on the slab was the year he purchased the plot No. 16

Attached Image

Nice wan Rab, It's in the ex wee church yard in Greendyke Street near Glasgow Green. There's also a grave of a vicar and his [I think] 4 wives. Sounds like a real Bluebeard. P.S. What did septimus die of I wonder, not septicaemias I hope laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 25th Feb 2011, 11:45pm
Post #64

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (jamcat @ 26th Feb 2011, 07:46am) *
Nice wan Rab, It's in the ex wee church yard in Greendyke Street near Glasgow Green. There's also a grave of a vicar and his [I think] 4 wives. Sounds like a real Bluebeard. P.S. What did septimus die of I wonder, not septicaemias I hope laugh.gif

If ye get the chance Jammy, visit the old Govan parish church. The tomb stones there, If ye can still read them have a fascinatin' history of early Glasga, Govan bein' there before them a' and the site was a place of worship before even the Romans got there.

+Quote Post
jamcat
post 26th Feb 2011, 12:11am
Post #65

Resident
QUOTE (Dunvegan @ 25th Feb 2011, 11:08pm) *
If ye get the chance Jammy, visit the old Govan parish church. The tomb stones there, If ye can still read them have a fascinatin' history of early Glasga, Govan bein' there before them a' and the site was a place of worship before even the Romans got there.

The place wheere Septimus I found was creepy when I was working there. we were finding money here and there including old pennies and even a half crown, one guy even found a half a pound note from 1966. We were told it had been a place used by hookers. There was a garage behind it and they had this big German shephard dog. It didn't like me so i tried to keep out of it's way. We were sitting having our dinner break when the thing came over to us. It lifted the gaffers bag because it smelled the meat on his peeces. The time sheets were in the bag so he ran over to the dog and it attacked him. he managed to get his peeces out of the bag and threw them on the ground. The dog lifted them and ran into the garage and sat staring at us eating the peeces. We complained to the garage and they said they would keep the dog locked in the yard. The Houdini dog appeared the next morning and attacked one of our guys. There was about 5 of us and we started hitting the dog with shovels and rakes and It didn't really do it much damage even though there was blood coming out it's mouth and nose as well as from one of it's eyes. It eventually gave up and casually walked back to the garage. I don't believe in all that ghost crap but that place was really eerie. I will quite soon take a trip to the old Goven church.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Feb 2011, 12:31am
Post #66

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (jamcat @ 25th Feb 2011, 09:46pm) *
Nice wan Rab, ... P.S. What did septimus die of I wonder, not septicaemias I hope laugh.gif

Oh, 'e died of a Tuesday. laugh.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Feb 2011, 12:46am
Post #67

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Two of us were working on a steel construction outside of a factory in Basel gettin' as much done as we could outside in the sun before we took it inside where we would erect it. We left a space of 2 metres between between the construction and a wire mesh fence separating us from a private property where German Shepherds were bred. The other side of the fence was a run with 6 young Shepherds which barked like mad the whole day at us.
I went up to a local burger stall and bought a dozen sausages and fed the dogs a bit at a time.
The wifie got suspicious when the dogs were lined up waiting for me each morning; quite as lambs.
"I hope you're not feeding my dogs!"
"Whit, them vicious animals? Your kiddin' misses. (in Swiss/German of course tongue.gif biggrin.gif )

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
benny
post 26th Feb 2011, 10:50am
Post #68

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (jamcat @ 26th Feb 2011, 12:34am) *
The place wheere Septimus I found was creepy when I was working there. we were finding money here and there including old pennies and even a half crown, one guy even found a half a pound note from 1966. We were told it had been a place used by hookers. . . . .I don't believe in all that ghost crap but that place was really eerie.

Ye can rest assured, Jamcat, that there wid be nae ghosts in a place frequented by hookers. They wid aw hiv been laid. biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
jamcat
post 26th Feb 2011, 11:58am
Post #69

Resident
QUOTE (benny @ 26th Feb 2011, 10:13am) *
Ye can rest assured, Jamcat, that there wid be nae ghosts in a place frequented by hookers. They wid aw hiv been laid. biggrin.gif

Aye but wis he laid or laid to rest? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
jamcat
post 9th Mar 2011, 10:44am
Post #70

Resident
When Scottish Power and Hydro electric shares were up for sale in 1991 I had a temporary job registering peolpe who called us at the call centre in Dennistoun. There was about 200 of us working on two floors and we could be very busy at times. It is unbelievable how many Patel's phoned to register and we had to work from a script to answer any questions and we were not allowed to add lib any kind of answers. The Patels would normally want to register themselves plus their wife and betwwen 10 and 40 others who they said were their cousins, neices and nephews and god knows who else. We had to read from the script that they could only register other people if they were their parents or legal guardians and this could take 10 to 20 minutes to explain as you had to go through all the details for every question they asked using your script manual.

After the closing date to register we got new scripts concerning questions people who had registered might ask. One day I got a Pakastani (Yes a Patel) who said he was flitting so what should he do. I was cheesed off and I told him that he should hang up and then phone Pickfords and arrange for a lorry to come and move all his furniture. This turned out to be hoax call that the bosses done from time to time to try and keep us on our toes. I was taken into the office were they laughed at my answer as they played the recording back. I was told not to do anything like that again.

We would often get the obnoxious ones who would rabbit on and on for up to half an hour at times and get even worse when you told them that they were paying for the call. Needless to say their applications always ended up in the bin and they would contact us a few weeks later saying they were stiill waiting to hear about their claims. we would simply tell them that we never had a computer or anything and we would need to pass it on to another department. these usually ended up in the bin as well as we guessed that their original claims had been binned. Although at times it could be a pain I quite liked the job.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.