Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> No Butts... We're Not Coming Back!, Canadian tourists shun Glasgow
rikkiduncan
post 22nd May 2012, 08:12pm
Post #211

Visitor
Member No.: 8,661
I agree with earlier post, the jobsworth pick their targets, they don't go near groups hanging around outside pubs, or young shellsuit gangs, they pick the easier option, that is unfair if they are going to impose fines to one set of people they must do it to all. But the craziest law is fining homeless people for drinking in the open, £60 which there is no chance of ever getting paid, which leads to court appearance then increase in fine which wont get paid, which ends up with a jail sentence, all leading up to the tax payer paying for everything.

--------------------
How come I always get the wee leg when the family have Haggis for tea ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 27th Jul 2012, 05:45am
Post #212

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
I think that is a poor excuse to use,just because cig, were lying in the street,the woman put hers out the same way from what she saw.Dont Litter,you got a raw deal,and I feel a warning would have been enough.No one asks for a passport until ask to see there ID cause that is not a safe thing to do.I do hope they go back to Glasgow,just A bad day for you thats all.(do you put yout butts out where you live?) There is a law in doing that anyplace you visit,but ask to see there ID first.

+Quote Post
GG
post 28th Aug 2012, 06:39am
Post #213

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
From the Sun today ... another visitor not coming back to Glasgow?
A Spanish footy boss was collared by Scots litter wardens for chucking his cigar on the street.

Levante chairman Francisco Catalan, 36, right, copped a £50 fixed penalty fine for dropping the butt outside the Celtic superstore on Glasgow's Argyle Street.

The La Liga bigwig had been on a sight-seeing tour before his team's Europa League qualifier against Motherwell on Thursday.

One onlooker said: "He looked every bit the Spanish businessman standing outside puffing away on a fat cigar while his staff had a look around the shop.

"He just chucked the end on the pavement. Maybe you can get away with that type of thing in Spain but not in Glasgow with the wardens about."

The Catalan gave the wardens a Spanish address and has 14 days to cough up the fine.

A Glasgow City Council spokeswoman said: "Our Clean Glasgow campaign takes a zero tolerance approach."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 28th Aug 2012, 09:59am
Post #214

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Aye.... an I bet the footballer will take a "zero tolerance approach" to paying the fine once he gets hame!! rolleyes.gif

Wit a surprise that they are still targeting the well dressed respectable people when you can go outside any Glasgow pub any time of the day and you will see the scrufs chucking away their fag ends.

+Quote Post
serabash
post 28th Aug 2012, 10:41am
Post #215

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
I would say well dressed or not a litter lout is a litter lout. IMHO.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 28th Aug 2012, 11:47am
Post #216

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Quite so, Serabash, but I think Scotsman's point is that the warden's only pick on easy targets, but are scared to confront the tougher-looking elements in society.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 28th Aug 2012, 02:00pm
Post #217

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Yes thats my point Bilbo.... why pick on this easy target when to be honest the guy probably doesnt know about the law when there are loads of people who do know about the law and throw much worse than a fag end on the ground. Seems like these wardens are targeting the wrong people because they are probably too scared to go after the real culprits.

+Quote Post
serabash
post 28th Aug 2012, 03:49pm
Post #218

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
Aye scotsman and bilbo isn't it always the case. They go for the easy target just like the goverment with the sick the old and the children. The world is full of bullies.

+Quote Post
GG
post 13th Sep 2012, 09:38pm
Post #219

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Seems that the council is so caught up in chasing smokers who drop their fag ends that they have all but given up on the epidemic of litter in the city. The two photos below show a Glasgow city street this week.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Sep 2012, 09:57pm
Post #220

Mega City Key Holder
Time for Singapore tactics?

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Charlotte1988
post 27th Sep 2012, 02:44pm
Post #221

Settling In
Member No.: 13,254
If they were littering I don't see why they shouldn't have had to pay the fine. Just because there are a lot of cigarette ends on the floor does not mean that it's ok to throw yours there.

--------------------
Charlotte loves takeaway pizza!

+Quote Post
A Mackinnon
post 27th Sep 2012, 05:32pm
Post #222

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,012
QUOTE (GG @ 13th Sep 2012, 10:53pm) *
Seems that the council is so caught up in chasing smokers who drop their fag ends that they have all but given up on the epidemic of litter in the city. The two photos below show a Glasgow city street this week.

GG.

This can't be Glasgow!!!! Not a "No Parking" painted Yellow line in sight! laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 28th Sep 2012, 03:56am
Post #223

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
I fully agree with Bilbo Singapore rules are needed, at one point in Singapore, if you were seen chewing gum, you had to produce a Doctors note proing that it was for medical reasons. ie Nicotine gum.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 28th Sep 2012, 10:38am
Post #224

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 28th Aug 2012, 01:02pm) *
Quite so, Serabash, but I think Scotsman's point is that the warden's only pick on easy targets, but are scared to confront the tougher-looking elements in society.

Aye, Like Ross Kemp

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 28th Sep 2012, 10:54am
Post #225

Mega City Key Holder
Has he been dropping litter as well? unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

16 Pages V  « < 13 14 15 16 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.