Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> Home Alone In Dalmarnock, Family holding out for a decent home offer
GG*
post 21st Sep 2008, 06:58pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 2,148
The last remaining residents on the land earmarked for the athletes' village for Glasgow's 2014 Commonwealth Games are refusing to go quietly to allow the bulldozers to move in and demolish a tenement row in Ardenlea Street in Dalmarnock in Glasgow's East End.

For five years Mrs Margaret Jaconelli and her family have been the only residents of the tenement block which stands as a physical block to regeneration plans around the 2014 Games which local city councillors say will transform the fortunes of one of the city's poorest areas. All the other former residents have long since been re-housed as part of the Clyde Gateway Project, but Mrs Jaconelli has refused to accept an offer of 80% ownership of a house in the city's Cranhill.

Mrs Jaconelli is adamant she will not move until she has been suitably compensated by the city council for the loss of her family's home. Mrs Jaconelli said:
"I feel isolated because we don't have any neighbours. I have become a recluse. I don't even have a postcode any more, the gardens are littered with rubbish and no-one comes to clean it up. It's almost as if we no longer exist.

I just feel like the council are coming in and taking my life away, my house away. They are not interested in me, I'm just a wee person and they think they can just walk all over me. At the end of the day they can all go back to their homes in the evening, but this is my home, my livelihood, it's all I have got."

With work for the athletes' village now underway - and most of the land secured from private developers at a cost of tens of millions to local taxpayers - the city council is growing increasingly desperate to demolish the whole of Ardenlea Street.

Senior council officials have now threatened the family with a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) in order to force the Jaconellis to leave their home, a legal move which was never used against private developers who insisted on full 'market value' for their land, despite the eagerness of the council to force a speedy sale.

Earlier this year the Evening Times revealed how the city council had paid property development company Grantly £5.5 million for "a patch of East End land" vital to the village development, despite reports that the land had been purchased for just £45,000 previously. In that case, the council had threatened the company with a CPO, but later backed down in favour of a £multi-million purchase.

Speaking about the threat of a CPO on the family, senior city councillor George Redmond said:
"It is in no-one's interest that Margaret and her family remain there, especially after all this time. I am sympathetic to a point, but this is a larger issue. The local area needs certainty so that the games can take place and Ardenlea Street needs to be demolished. For the greater good of the area someone needs to take it on the chin."

Mrs Jaconelli responded:
"We have been in limbo all this time - I am frightened to leave this house unoccupied for more than a few hours. The surrounding empty flats are continually broken into, vandalised and set on fire. We need to move on from here.

For the past five winters my heating bills have been sky high, I am effectively heating the whole tenement.

I'm not budging. If the council don't give me the proper compensation that I deserve then I won't be moving anywhere. I will sit right here till 2014 and watch the Commonwealth Games from my window."

GG News.

--------------------
GG's roving news hound!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 21st Sep 2008, 11:01pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
You have to admire Mrs Jaconelli as she is right to hold out for full compensation.

I don't know if I could hold out like that, I would be scared living in a building where there are no neighbours.

Councillors think they can rule our lives and do as they please once they have been elected. They don't like it when someone stands up to them.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
stratson
post 21st Sep 2008, 11:14pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
I take my hat off to Mrs Jaconelli. She is a gutsy lady, standing her ground. Am afraid I would do likewise. More power to your elbow. She is entitled to full compensation. Will be watching this case with interest. smile.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
angel
post 21st Sep 2008, 11:16pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
was,nt something similar done in china ,regarding the olympic games,
they threw out the people who lived in the area that was needed to accomodate the olympic athletes, and those poor souls where left on the streets, , well this may not be as drastic a situation , it still has the same smell..

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 24th Sep 2008, 03:10pm
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
Good luck to this lady , the housing assosiations are getting too much their own way .

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 24th Sep 2008, 09:06pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
QUOTE (angel @ 21st Sep 2008, 05:20pm) *
was,nt something similar done in china ,regarding the olympic games,
they threw out the people who lived in the area that was needed to accomodate the olympic athletes, and those poor souls where left on the streets, , well this may not be as drastic a situation , it still has the same smell..

Hi Angel,the same thing happens over here when they build a new freeway or a stadium,they pay the person at base current market value,its a law called"Eminant Domain"

+Quote Post
Glaswegian
post 25th Sep 2008, 08:51am
Post #7

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,139
So the full weight of the bullying bureaucratic machinery of the monolithic state is to be brought to bear on a lone family fighting for the right to have a decent home to live in, while rich, predatory property speculators earn millions off of local taxpayers?

How very New Labour!!!

--------------------
Proud Glaswegian
Telling it like it is!

+Quote Post
stratson
post 25th Sep 2008, 12:25pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Does anyone have an update on Mrs Jaconelli's progress re. this matter?

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Heather
post 25th Sep 2008, 03:57pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Stratson, according to last Sunday's Herald, Mrs Jaconelli is still sitting tight.

Good luck to her, she deserves a fairer offer for her house.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
stratson
post 25th Sep 2008, 06:06pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Heather, I too am with Mrs Jaconelli all the way. Hope she get's a satisfactory conclusion, and soon.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
GG
post 27th Nov 2008, 10:11pm
Post #11

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Found a great video blog article about this here:

http://www.chrisleslie.co.uk/blog/?p=23

Excellent work!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 10th Jan 2010, 11:46pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Any update date on this?

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 11th Jan 2010, 01:07am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Is the lady an owner/occupier of this property?

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 11th Jan 2010, 01:09am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Dont answer my last post.Ive just realised she has the prospect of a CPO.

+Quote Post
*Garry*
post 28th Aug 2010, 10:18pm
Post #15

Latest news regarding Margaret Jaconelli and Shop Owners on Springfield road facing compulsory purchase orders. From Glasgow Games Monitor website.

On Friday August 21st, those Dalmarnock homeowners and shop-owners in the way of development for the Commonwealth Games Village will be made homeless through eviction orders by Glasgow City Council. No compensation price for their properties has been agreed – never mind paid.

Despite repeated attempts by the property owners, the Council have refused to negotiate with them, instead placing a Compulsory Purchase Order (CPO) on the properties which gives the Council legal entitlement to evict the property owners.

Margaret Jaconelli, the last resident in the area (whose plight we’ve covered before) now has nowhere to live as of Friday 20th August, and no capacity to purchase other housing. Several shop owners in the area will also lose their jobs and livelihoods - with no compensation immediately forthcoming to set up anything new.

All this anguish could have been avoided, but the Council has refused to negotiate all along, even when everybody wanted out a long time ago so that it did not come to this. The Council has acted disgracefully in refusing to negotiate a reasonable deal with the individual property-owners.

Compare this nightmare scenario to the hugely profitable land deal done between wealthy Mayfair property developer Charles Price and the City Council. Price bought a parcel of land in Dalmarnock for £8 million in the period 2002-2005. The land also lies on a site earmarked for the Commonwealth Games Village and is likewise deemed essential for the Games development.

The City Council had it within their powers to perform a Compulsory Purchase Order on Price’s land, but instead negotiated with Price (a process denied to Margaret Jaconelli and the other shopkeepers) resulting in a fantastically generous £17 million sale of the land - with £3 million added VAT. A total cost of £20 million pounds of public money.

In a time of economic recession and plummeting land prices, this price is excessive to say the least: £9 million profit for doing absolutely nothing but sitting on well-placed land.

A spokesman for Glasgow City Council said that compulsory purchase powers were not used against Price’s company because officials had been able to agree a deal with him. Negotiation, however, was denied to Margaret Jaconelli and the Dalmarnock shopkeepers, and homelessness and closed businesses could well be the result.

Price has argued that he didn’t know the site he bought would later be developed for the Games Village. This claim seems remarkably economical with the truth. In fact, Price’s PPD consortium was one of two bidders for the construction of the Games Village site, and it is hugely unlikely that a consortium of that scale including leading architectural firms, and real estate advisors wouldn’t know about such a significant development. More likely, they bought the land knowing that its monopoly value would increase enormously with the pressure of the Games.

What a disgrace that the City Council can’t find time to negotiate a fair deal with working-class people in Dalmarnock who are now facing appalling living conditions, and a deeply uncertain future, yet find the time and money to negotiate an outrageous £9 million profit for a City-based property speculator.

Margaret Jaconelli is staying put (in ever deteriorating conditions) in the hope that the Council will finally act decently. As a matter of urgency, we call on the Council to pay out what is due to those residents and shopkeepers facing eviction – anything else is morally reprehensible.

+Quote Post

28 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.