Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Vj Day, Any memories of it?
DannyH
post 12th Aug 2015, 10:57pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
I clearly remember VE day when George Square and the surrounding streets were overcrowded by thousands of overjoyed people.

I can't say the same for VJ day. I have no recollection of any celebrations that day.

Our armed forces and the prisoners of war who were in the Far East during World War II were never treated with the respect they deserved. One of our neighbours was away for nearly 6 years, leaving behind two very young sons and a wife. There were no street parties for people like him on his homecoming. When the war was over they didn't get to come home promptly. For some it would be another year before they got home. By that time the euphoria had died down and everybody was concerned about surviving food and fuel shortages, not to mention very poor wages and living conditions.

I do remember when the first atomic bomb was dropped. Our school register teacher said to us, "The dropping of that bomb has made the world an unsafe place forever. You are the generation of children that will have to learn to live with this threat, as will future generations of children."

He also warned us that although this war was drawing to a close, our generation would be required put on uniforms because the West did not trust the Russians. How right he was.

Regards to All

Danny Harris
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Elma
post 12th Aug 2015, 11:54pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Now that you mention it Danny, I don't remember much about VJ Day. I think in Scotland we were more involved in the war in Europe, at least in school we were. I do remember the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and then Nagasaki but I can't think who it was that told us, probably heard it on the radio.

Your teacher was so right in saying that our generation would have to live with the threat of war all of our lives together with the next generations. I know we are about similar ages as we both recollect the war very clearly yes.gif

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 22nd Aug 2015, 10:53pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (Elma @ 13th Aug 2015, 01:02am) *
Now that you mention it Danny, I don't remember much about VJ Day. I think in Scotland we were more involved in the war in Europe, at least in school we were. I do remember the atomic bombing of Hiroshima and then Nagasaki but I can't think who it was that told us, probably heard it on the radio.

Your teacher was so right in saying that our generation would have to live with the threat of war all of our lives together with the next generations. I know we are about similar ages as we both recollect the war very clearly :yes:

Hello Elma

Thank you for your post.

Going from the lack of reponse for this topic, it looks as though there are very few members of the GG boards who were alive on VJ day. Time catches up on us all!

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
taurus
post 23rd Aug 2015, 11:55am
Post #4

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
We flitted from the Calton to Bridgeton when I was 6,and my very first memory of our "new hoose" was standing at the window looking down on the big bonfire in the street and people shouting and laughing. That must have been VJ night,for I was living in the Calton at the end of the war in Europe. I remember vividly sitting on a swing in Well St swings,and a plane passed overhead. I rushed home and my mum was ironing and I hid between her legs. She laughed,she said the war`s over you don`t have to be frightened any more. So I`m convinced that it must have been VJ night the bonfire was all about. We (in Australia) don`t say VJ,they say VP,victory in the Pacific,not to upset our Japanese neighbours. Ridiculous! you can`t change history.

We flitted from the Calton to Bridgeton when I was 6,and my very first memory of our "new hoose" was standing at the window looking down on the big bonfire in the street and people shouting and laughing. That must have been VJ night,for I was living in the Calton at the end of the war in Europe. I remember vividly sitting on a swing in Well St swings,and a plane passed overhead. I rushed home and my mum was ironing and I hid between her legs. She laughed,she said the war`s over you don`t have to be frightened any more. So I`m convinced that it must have been VJ night the bonfire was all about. We (in Australia) don`t say VJ,they say VP,victory in the Pacific,not to upset our Japanese neighbours. Ridiculous! you can`t change history.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 23rd Aug 2015, 11:57am
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
Sorry that went in twice. Computer being naughty.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 23rd Aug 2015, 07:29pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I have very vague memories of VJ Day as I was only four years old, but I remember a party in the street and all the people singing and dancing.

Mum told us our dad would be home soon. He was in the Royal Navy and somewhere out in the high sea's.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
taurus
post 23rd Aug 2015, 09:31pm
Post #7

Super Lord Provost
Same here Heather,my stepfather was in the merchant navy and my mum said he would be home soon and safe,away from the the torture the Japanese were inflicting. His ship went to Japan on the way home from Australia and New Zealand. He brought me a kimono. I told all the neighbours he was bringing me a doll instead I got this kimono, the kimono did look a bit daft in Brigton,so I never wore it.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 15th Sep 2015, 10:19pm
Post #8

QUOTE (taurus @ 23rd Aug 2015, 12:03pm) *

I was born as a result of V.J. night. My father was discharged from service while recuperating in Australia from injuries or health issues occurred under the auspices of the Imperial Sunny race. The first thing he did, on return to Glasgow, was get married, still in uniform, to my mother who was recently discharged from the army.

Apparently he was arrested by authorities in Sydney for setting fire, with others to P.M.G. property and dancing around it on V.J. night. V.J. night was big in Australia as there was until 1944 serious worry over an invasion of the Australian mainland.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 15th Sep 2015, 10:24pm
Post #9

QUOTE (taurus @ 23rd Aug 2015, 09:39pm) *
Same here Heather,my stepfather was in the merchant navy and my mum said he would be home soon and safe,away from the the torture the Japanese were inflicting. His ship went to Japan on the way home from Australia and New Zealand. He brought me a kimono. I told all the neighbours he was bringing me a doll instead I got this kimono, the kimono did look a bit daft in Brigton,so I never wore it.

Can you remember the names of your father's ship (s). My fathers ship went to China from Australia at the end of the war. He did not accompany it as he was recuperating from wounds in a Sydney hospital.

The ship at that time was a Canadian built "Fort Ship" D.E.M. Fort Providence. Previously he shipped out on the S.S. Arawa, up to 1944.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 16th Sep 2015, 04:16am
Post #10

Super Lord Provost
the only ship I remember is The Cameronia.He was with the Anchor Line,the name is still on the building although the shipping office would be long gone. It`s on a street near George Square. Near Queen St station I think. I`m not good with knowing the street names in Glasgow CBD,been away too long.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.