Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cranhill
Rating 5 V
Stillroom
post 4th Sep 2017, 08:06am
Post #181

Special Visitor
Member No.: 8,022
QUOTE (benny @ 17th Apr 2010, 10:49pm) *
I lived in Cranhill from about 1957 to 1972 or thereabouts. Crowlin Crescent and Bellrock Street, but ah must've been anti-social at the time - ah cannae remember anybody who's already posted. smile.gif

Ah remember the bookie's at the Shoogies - Eddie wis his name - and the wee hut kinda built intae the side of the Shoogies - it wis actually an auld railway goods carriage withoot the wheels. Used tae get the odd tanner or thrupenny bit affy Eddie fur takin ower ma Da's lines.

Ah went tae Milncroft Primary and Cranhill Secondary. Only teachers ah remember frae Milncroft are Miss Fotheringham and Mr Andrews, but ah remember quite a few frae ma time at Cranhill Secondary (1960 onwards) Mr. Hill (English), always known as Benny Bumps because of Benny Hill and the fact that he was bald wi bumps oan his heid. Simple, eh? Wee Louie, Science teacher and Cello player in the school orchestra - ah think his proper name wis Spence. Miss Baron, Miss Hutt, Miss Meikle - all English teachers and Miss Cooper, who was the drama teacher. Also Mr Kelly (English), Mr Darroch (History), Big Jim Bisset (History), Mr Hamilton (Maths and Gaelic singer), Mr Wallace (Music), Mr Crawford (Science), Mr Stewart, Mr Munro and Frankie Deagan - all Science teachers. Frankie Deagan wis a Celtic supporter an used tae get a sherrickin frae the boys in the line if Celtic got gubbed. As far as ah know, he had moved from St Gregory's when Cranhill School had just opened in 1959. Last, but not least, wis the heidie - in ma time it wis Kenneth MacRae - a scholar and a gentleman if ever there wis wan.

Hi Benny, it seems you might be the only other one there in my time, First went to Lightburn then Cranhill, I lived in Barlanark and didn't get to know the Cranhill kids, remember all the teachers, us older girls used to tease Frank Deighan when he first started!. Got on well with Mr Hamilton, loved maths! If it wasn't for Miss Barr I would have enjoyed it she made my life hell then had the nerve to demand why I wasn't staying on!

--------------------
Katie Bairdie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**dizzybint**
post 19th Nov 2017, 09:19pm
Post #182

QUOTE (*Kaz1968* @ 17th Mar 2010, 11:01pm) *
Hi Matilda Bell. Was just reading your post and it brought back memories. I lived in Startpoint Street from 1968 to 1974 then moved to Clydebank after my Dad got a promotion through work. Was devasted to leave. Went to St Modan's Primary School and was very friendly with a girl called Janette (think Brown) was her second name. Was friendly with the Thom family and the Wright family. Fond memories of Bertie's Van and the summer hols at the swimming at the Greg. My cousins stayed in Bellrock Street - Linda and Brenda and other cousins stayed in Skerryvore Road - Mark and Gary. Don't really remember the kids I went to school with as I was probably just at St Modan's for about 3 years. My maiden name was Penman. Don't know if anyone would remember me. Loving all the old stories. Cranhill will always have a place in my heart as it was a great place to grow up in as neighbours all looked out for each other. Fond memories.

I knew the Thoms long ago...

+Quote Post
*Cathy Rodgers*
post 13th Oct 2019, 01:12pm
Post #183

QUOTE (Phyllis McCready @ 4th Jan 2012, 04:22am) *
My family also grew up on SumBurgh St. my youngest brother was James McCready

Hi I lived across the road at 69 sum urgh street we were all friends with Jamie do your remember the Duncan family who lived below us

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 11 12 13
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Mar 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.