Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lulu's Ma Wis Pure Beelin' So She Wis, Losing Glasgow accent caused much concern
GG
post 27th Dec 2008, 03:12pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Lulu, the diminutive Glaswegian singing sensation, has revealed for the first time that her mother was a lot less than happy at the prospect of the star - real name Marie McDonald McLaughlin Lawrie - losing her Glaswegian accent after moving to London to pursue a singing career in the 1960s.

Speaking while recording her forthcoming documentary, Still Shouting: Lulu at 60, to be broadcast on New Year's Day, Lulu said on Radio Scotland:
"I had a manager, Marion Massey.

I lived with her parents in their apartment in St John's Wood and I developed an English accent very quickly.

Then I just copied Marion. She'd say, 'Hello darling, how are you?' And I learned to talk like that. My mother was livid.

She would say, 'What's wrong with her? Has she gone over to the other side?'

That's the phrase she used. It was weird but I knew what she meant."

The Dennistoun-born singer continued:
"I think I am Scottish, even if my accent changes, no matter where I am."

Although Lulu's career has been a resounding success story since recording her first hit, Shout, at the age of just 15 in 1964, the singer who went on to duet with pop superstars Take That, admitted turning down singing lessons with Frank Sinatra was a low point in her career. She said:
"I was working in Las Vegas. Tom Jones said, 'Meet me at Caesar's Palace. We went and Frank Sinatra stood up at the bar and said, 'Oh hi, over here'.

I was like 'Oh my God'. Can you imagine my mother and my father and all my aunties and uncles? I was mental.

He was actually so charming and asked me if I did vocal exercises, and I said 'no'.

He said, 'You should. I'll teach you.' But I never followed through."

Asked how she sees herself at the age 60, she said:
"I see myself as a 34-year-old - I'm deluded."

Still Shouting: Lulu at 60 can be heard on BBC Radio Scotland, New Year's Day, at 12.05pm.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 27th Dec 2008, 04:54pm
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
Thanks for the heads-up on the forthcoming documentary about Lulu.

I don't know if there are many people like me but I really cannot abide her. I especially dislike it when she 'turns on' the Glasgow accent to a cue - from Hampstead to Dennistoun in seconds. Always comes across to me as pretentious and insincere.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
Heather
post 27th Dec 2008, 07:13pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I have never thought Lulu was ever anything special.

All she ever did as far as I can remember was make a record singing,' Shout' and a film, ' To Sir with Love'.

I remember one year she was on a New Years programme and she sang, ' My Ain folk' she murdered it, she was awful.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 27th Dec 2008, 10:14pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
I agree with Heather,
I have heard her singing Scottish Songs,[ she is awful]
Dont know why she is on the Ad for "Home Coming Scotland,"
We have many many fine People they could have used , wub.gif

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 27th Dec 2008, 11:35pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
That being said,I looked at a list of British singer's worth's and she is a multi-millionaire,I have a couple of latest C.D's of hers, and I think she's a good singer.---Och' annie hen I'm sure you've changed your accent a bit in Canada.

+Quote Post
murn
post 28th Dec 2008, 12:26am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
I really do not think I have lost my accent but when I am home they tell me I have huh.gif But it takes all of 24 hrs and it is back again. Never been a fan of Lulu but have liked her more as she got older wink.gif My accent like many others changes depending on the group of people you are with. Many of my Canadian friends complain they do not understand a word I am saying when I am with other Scots.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 28th Dec 2008, 04:34am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Have to say I have never thought she had that much talent,however she has been quite successful and I do wish her well. I to came from Dennistoun and they (her family) were considered quite common. She turned on the English accent, but I would go as far as to say she would have to do something the way she spoke was dreadful.

Good luck to her she is still making money at 60 and still remembered, she must be doing something right.

I remember I read an article in a magazine many years ago and she had been interviewed and told the interviewer that she was born in a castle, Lennox Castle . You certainly didn't think she was tallking about a hospital. I would love to see the up coming show.Look forward to hearing what you have to say about it. I wonder if she is still married to the hairdresser, and how about family , did she have any? I will keep watching this topic , quite interesting.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
MissT
post 28th Dec 2008, 09:35am
Post #8

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,318
Lulu is not married to John Frieda the hairdresser, as far as I recall, he is now a hairdresser to the stars in America. She has one son Jordan who is the same age as my eldest daughter, 31yrs old...

Cheers

+Quote Post
tombro
post 28th Dec 2008, 10:13am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Sadly, at the time when Lulu was trying to impact on an international market, a broad Glasgow accent was not an asset !

For those who live in Glasgow there was absolutely no problem but, as soon as you take that accent out of Glasgow, the problems of making oneself totally understood increase the further away you stray from that great city.

At that time, even Sean Connery only managed to maintain traces of his Scots accent and it was not until Billy Connolly appeared to make it overseas that the broad Glasgow accent gained any recognition. I say appeared to gain recognition because (and no offence to Billy Connolly whose irreverent humour I first came across in a Record Shop here in Australia and whose sense of humour I greatly admire) because much of Billy's fame in America and Australia came only because the natives of both countries found his accent a laugh. Americans and Australians didn't understand a thing he was saying but, since all the ex-pat Scots in the audience were p***ing themselves laughing, they felt they had to laugh, too.

Glasgow should be proud of Lulu because she's still around and quite popular !

Can someone tell me whatever happened to Donovan as he started off around the same time as Lulu first started making a name for herself ?

Tombro rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
brian432
post 28th Dec 2008, 11:31am
Post #10

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
Here you go Tombro, read all about it. cool.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donovan

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 28th Dec 2008, 12:29pm
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
On the subject of Donovan. About 3 years ago or so after the autobiography The Hurdy Gurdy Man was released my daughter who was 22 at the time attended a music publishing awards dinner in London. She did not know anyone else at the event and randomly sat down at a round table with a few empty seats.

She had no idea who she was sitting with but got on well with a girl and her father sitting at the table. From chatting the girls both found out that they had something in common - in that they were 'Scottish' - but they had not actually lived there.

The girl and her dad looked after her at the posh event as she had never been at anything like this before. It was not until the man rose to collect an award that she found out that it was Donovan. My daughter said that they were really lovely people with absolutely no airs or graces.

A little while after I heard Donovan talking about the book on the Radio. He really seemed a content and really nice guy.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
RonD
post 28th Dec 2008, 12:37pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
What fifteen year old would not want to assimilate to any society that she found herself in? Being fifteen she would not lose her Glasgow accent but in a sense would become bilingual. The same is true of Ronnie Corbett, who born and bred in Edinburgh and went south for his comedic career. We all did the same to an extent in school, the playground patter was not how we talked to our teachers. We all have fun talking in the Glasgow accent and patter on this board but I'm sure most of you modify it to a pseudo BBC Glasgow accent at least a little when talking to strangers even in Glasgow. I mean how far would I have gotten in Toronto askin; furra stane o' tawties and pun o' buttah! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 28th Dec 2008, 12:57pm
Post #13

Super City Key Holder
Ron fair comment about the accent thing.

The difference I feel with Lulu is to this present day she can turn on her accent often in a sort of demeaning way as she plays to the camera. What I am trying to say is that if she was being interviewed on general matters she would be her normal plum english. If the interviewer asked any sort of question pertaining to her roots in Glasgow/Scotland, or anything else vaguely Scottish, she switches to a broad Glaswegian accent, as if on autopilot. I don't think this is necessary at all and comes across to me as being insincere.

I have not explained myself very well.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
backcauseway
post 28th Dec 2008, 02:44pm
Post #14

Visitor
Member No.: 6,322
True story re Lulu told by the Head Teacher at her old school. Marie McLaughlin Laurie was called in by the head just as she hit her 15th birthday. Knowing she was not very acedemic and most kids wanted to leave as soon as they hit 15. He always liked to give a fatherly word before they left."Ah Marie What do you want to do?" "Well I want to be a pop star but I work as a Saturday girl in my aunties Duke Street hairdressers." "Ah! I think a career in hairdressing is a much better option Marie. How many girls from Glasgow have ever hit the top twenty? You know you might have your own hair saloon in a few years if you stuck at it". Within 2 or so weeks the Head had been proved wrong and was forced to agree that every kid who left school and dreamnt of pop stardom had every right to pursue their dream what every ity might be. He retold that tale for many years until he died.

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 28th Dec 2008, 08:37pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
QUOTE (MissT @ 28th Dec 2008, 09:34am) *
Lulu is not married to John Frieda the hairdresser, as far as I recall, he is now a hairdresser to the stars in America. She has one son Jordan who is the same age as my eldest daughter, 31yrs old...

Cheers
she was married to john fredia as was she married to maurice gibb but a disliked her false english she forgot her roots and now it is all the fashion to talk in your own native tounge she is trying too hard to talk glaswegin cant stand her singing a was ragin when she sang with my heart throb of my era david bowie in his ziggy stardust era and sang the man who sold the world ,,, lulu would sell her soul to the devil to get back in the lime light laugh.gif a still talk scottish and have lived in england 31 years and am as glaswedgin as if a just popped out fur a loaf of bread laugh.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.