Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow 2014 Games Logo Launched, High hopes for Glasgow-created design
*Harry Greeenwood*
post 10th Mar 2010, 09:09am
Post #16

As a Canadian from Vancouver and still on a high from our fantastic and successful Olympic Games and getting ready for the Para-Olympics in a few days time I certainly understand the significance of a logo. However as a former Glaswegian I voted Wooden Spoon on the logo presented here. A Logo says nothing if it has to be interpreted a very important consideration which seems to have escaped the City's Chief Executive. For example, a common pastime for the people here who walk the seawalls and play on the beaches is to gather flat stones or diftwood and build them into cairn like sculptures. We are also blessed to live on Indian land and see many Totem Poles so the designers of our VANOC logo, in their wisdom, combined both of these artifacts to create a unique Vancouver symbol which requiresed no explanation or a fifteen minute speech by a civic official to justify its ludicrous presence. All that I could think of as I looked at it was how as a child I used to chalk the top of my "peerie".
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 10th Mar 2010, 12:08pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Thank you for the explanation of the colours of geometric figures GG. It doesn't change my opinion of the logo however, I still think it is a very poor design and certainly not worth anything like £100,000. Why they have taken the bother to tell us the likes of "11/20ths of the circle" is beyond me...it means nothing.

By the way, I think the best description of what this logo looks like, is the one from Harry Greeenwood in Vancouver who says:

' All that I could think of as I looked at it was how as a child I used to chalk the top of my "peerie". '

Hmmmmm, yes I see, only Glaswegians who could picture a spinning 'peerie' would get the picture.

Thanks again GG. Cheers,

+Quote Post
dugald_old
post 10th Mar 2010, 12:45pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,553
Harry, as I mentioned in my reply above to GG, I think your use of "peerie" in describing what this logo is like, is the best I've seen. I'm no too sure about your glowing description of our "fantastic and successful Olympic Games". Yes, come to think of it, I am sure: it was a great waste of the millions of dollars it cost! I don't mind Vancouver getting itself into debt and enjoying a great party, just so long as Vancouver foots the bill. The most depressing part of the aftermath of the games was the announcement by the federal government, caught apparently in the jubilation of a bag full of gold medals, that an additional $17 million will be given each year in an attempt to ensure our athletes get worldwide trips at the country's expense, to try for another bag of medals in the next Olympics. This is $17 million on top of the $ 47 they have been spending every year to cover the cost of our athletes bringing home gold medals. Hey, that's $64 million per year!

Going back to your "fantastic and successful Olympic Games". I've been wondering what you mean by the word "successful". It can mean the games went off well, which they did despite some difficult problems not of the organisers own making. Then again, it could mean the Games were successful because Canada did well based on the number of medals Canadians won. The first meaning is of course something commendable, the second meaning isn't in the least commendable!

The success of an 'Olympic Games' was never meant to be measured on the basis of medal counts. It was meant to be measured on the basis of international sporting participation. Were the Vancouver Olympics more successful for Canada with its 25 medals, than it was for Scotland with its one medal? What does it tell us if Canada wins 25 medals and we spent $47 million in helping our virtual professional athletes bring home a sackful of gongs? It sure as hell doesn't tell us that if we spend another $17 million we'll get more medals!

It's our government I'm chewing Harry, not you. Your "peerie" still takes the cake! Cheers.

+Quote Post
*ronnie auld*
post 10th Mar 2010, 01:25pm
Post #19

I am in agreement too much money spent, why did they not run a competion in the glasow schools for £100,000, i am sure the kids would have made a better logo.

+Quote Post
frame
post 10th Mar 2010, 03:14pm
Post #20

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
QUOTE (musicthom @ 10th Mar 2010, 08:52am) *
I have to agree it's kind of non Glasgow!! as someone so rightly pointed out the only way we would know is because it has glasgow on it in words

how can they justify that price ?

they should have come to me i would have done it for nothing

exibit 1

Ist class musicthom. That illustration of yours would have done us proud the real deal if you like. Make a good tattoo for expats like me.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
Patter Merchant
post 10th Mar 2010, 07:20pm
Post #21

Super Resident
Member No.: 6,419
Well done Glasgow 2014.... a false start and then a stumble at the first hurdle.... an outstanding start.... NOT!

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 10th Mar 2010, 08:27pm
Post #22

A lot of money. Is anyone ever satisfied. I understand at the Monday launch it was not received with a standing ovation. Time will tell. I expect lots of see you jimmie tartan wigs with this emblem are all ready being made in China for sale at the Barras on the way to the 17 sports which neither the whole of Europe or the US or China or most of South America are remotely interested in take place over 11 days. Hope its not wet for these 11 days!!!

+Quote Post
auchenshuggle
post 10th Mar 2010, 09:04pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,409
£ 100,000. to go worldwide and pick the top brains? did they notice if the team picked took there wives and kids on this round the world trip, stayed in nice hotels, and, sat on the beach all day?. now you just might be able to justify the price with that, but for a logo off the back of a fag packet done in the pub on a friday night, me thinks not.

--------------------
i saw a coo upon a hill its no there noo it mustve vanished.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 10th Mar 2010, 09:56pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
I like the Logo.

It is simple and pleasing to the eye.

However I have no idea how this kind of thing is costed but I would have been looking for a discount as it is not what I would call a one off origional.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Mar 2010, 10:15pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Aw c'mon -- it's only about 20p each per Glaswegian, even less if the teuchters and Embrans chip in. Mind you, maybe better in their pooches.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*wil;star*
post 10th Mar 2010, 10:17pm
Post #26

The circular part of the logo bears a striking resemblence to the former Glasgow Corporation public transport services employees liceince badges. Tram, Bus drivers and conductresses.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 10th Mar 2010, 11:18pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I actually quite like the Logo, but I have to admit seeing it done with the Coat of Arms is also awfully nice.

I'm wi you Rabbie!!

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 11th Mar 2010, 06:42am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Is this Logo for real!!!!!!!OMG!!!!!!

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Mar 2010, 07:20am
Post #29

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A response from experts regarding the similarity of the Glasgow 2014 logo to another one produced by the company three years earlier:

Neil Baxter, of The Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland, admitted that they are "remarkably similar", and added:

"The skill of the designer is to come up with an innovative and original design to fit the brief, and that should not be 'one we made earlier'."

Craig McGill, of brand consultants Contently-managed.com, said:

"£95,000 is a lot for what appears to be a secondhand logo. They both have the concentric circles, the letters, the lines. They're virtually identical, apart from the colour."

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 11th Mar 2010, 09:26am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
The more I see it the more repulsive it becomes and the G reater the sense of rip-off.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.