Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Schools Falling Further Behind, Gap in achievement rates continues to widen
tombro
post 10th Oct 2010, 09:29am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Obviously Glasgow Schools are now paying the penalty for being part of a system that allows the ranking of students and schools according to their achievements in a range of external tests set by non-academics who, never in their sheltered lives, have been inside a classroom let alone tried to teach a class of students.

Kids are kids and all have varying levels of ability, but; in my experience as a teacher of thirty-five years, albeit in NSW, Australia; the vast majority of kids are so proud of the fact that they always strive to achieve at the best of their ability levels.

Some students achieve great things, others not so. But how sad it is that the many great and positive achievements of all students are consistently being downgraded by the results of those nefarious 'public testing systems' designed not to show competency in schools, but designed by non-academics within the Public Service to justify their own existences.

If you really are worried about the results discussed in this forum, ask yourself this question:

"Who has more to offer the future of your nation ?"

Is it the non-academic boffins within the various education departments, or is it those wonderful students working so hard to achieve to the best of their abilities within an education that is set out by the former ?

Give me kids with the guts to have a go, anytime !

Tombro unsure.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
**Christine**
post 13th Oct 2010, 11:40am
Post #32

Blame the Parents? To a certain extent. The real issue though is the circle of deprivation. People with poor parenting skills are most certainly the product of their own Parents lack of expertise in parenting. So it goes on.... Poverty is the over-riding factor. Poverty erodes self-esteem, demotivates and raises stress levels. We need to deal with the poverty divide first and foremost. In any life safety and security needs come first. They are a priority over any other needs. When our basic needs are met (such as the need for warmth, food, shelter, security, belonging and feeling loved) then we can move towards self actualisation (achievement).

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 17th Oct 2010, 05:53pm
Post #33

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
My children could read and count before going to school . I taught them at home . I didnt send them to nursery . One of their primary teachers actually commented on the fact that they done better than some nursery taught children. Some of the work they do now i do not have a clue about ,but i feel that basic education at a young age is vital ,even pre school age. I feel that you have to make learning interesting in order to catch their imagination ,if its boring a lot of kids dont want to know.

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 18th Oct 2010, 12:36am
Post #34

Visitor
Member No.: 8,324
One can't help but think of all the money that is wasted by the councils in unecessary departments and positions. Money that could be better used in education. A company I know has recently moved some equipment for a government department. In fact they have moved the same equipment three times in the past two years, at a cost to the tax payer. This is the sort of nonsense that should be stamped out. It is a well known fact that councils place orders for equipment before the end of the budget year because if they don't use the budget they may not get it the following year. Duh, hello council workers you pay for it out of your taxes as well.

Can't have you going without your luxury.

Why don't civil servants look out of the window in the morning.

Because they would have nothing to do in the afternoon.

Sad, but true.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 18th Oct 2010, 09:25pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Jazzsaxman, it's obvious that you are not a Civil Servant or worked in the Social Security or would not make such a stupid statement. tongue.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 18th Oct 2010, 10:04pm
Post #36

Visitor
Heather

To which part of my statement do you refer?

If it is the joke at the end then that is what it was, a joke, which, by the way, was told to me by someone who works for the civil service. Of course not all civil servants can laugh at themselves as they are too brainwashed by the government bullshit, or perhaps they just have their heads too far up their own backsides.

If you you refer to the part about the budgets etc, then I am sorry to say that is not a joke.

If that is what you are upset about then I can understand as it is quite infuriating. A bit like the expenses scandal.

The Jazz Man

+Quote Post
Bellamo
post 12th May 2011, 05:30pm
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,918
QUOTE (Jazzsaxman @ 3rd Oct 2010, 05:42pm) *
This is one reasom why I am glad I live in East Renfrewshire. Glasgow should stop avoiding thier responsibility by trying all sorts of tricks to send thier children to our schools. We don't want our schools dragged down.

I have to say that if you were educated in East Renfrewshire you are a very poor example of what their education system can produce. As a Glasgow parent may I take the liberty of correcting your spelling of reasom (to reason) and thier (to their) which you have made an error with twice. These are both spelling mistakes which I can assure you my Glasgow educated daughters would never make!!

I can also assure you that there are many parents who are very happy with their children being educated within the city boundaries and have no intention at all of applying for a place within your education system - thereby leaving your precious darlings plenty of school places.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 12th May 2011, 09:00pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
smile.gif No disrespect meant but nitpicking at another posters simple spelling errors is not cool.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 12th May 2011, 10:26pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Bellamo, welcome to the boards.Can I point out to you that there is much discussion goes on here,some interesting,some less so,some agreement,much disagreement but one thing we try to keep off limits is a fellow posters spelling,grammar and use of language as long as he/she gets their point across.Thats the way it goes.Hope you enjoy and take the point.Joop rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 12th May 2011, 11:57pm
Post #40

Visitor
Sorry if my minor spelling errors upset you Bellamoe. It is just that I type fast and don't proof read. Sometimes there are small errors, but what the heck, none of us are perfect now are we? Next time I'll be sure to proof read.
Incidentally, I was educated in Glasgow. I worked my way up and moved to get a better education for my kids.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th May 2011, 12:06am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Dont wurry, a still get the i before the e thingy mixed up biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 13th May 2011, 12:10am
Post #42

Visitor
LOL Thanks Glasgow Lass. It thats i before the e except after c, which obviously I was sticking to.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th May 2011, 12:19am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Aye thats the wan,,, a just had a wee look at my history and a have claimed not to be the wurlds best speller.I had one really hurtful remark from a poster about my spelling errors so a know how it feels ,,, biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 13th May 2011, 01:03am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
My friends' daughter bought me 2 brilliant books for xmas. They are called

i before e (except after c) old-school ways to remember stuff by Judy Parkinson

HOMEWORK FOR GROWN-UPS EVERYTHING YOU LEARNT AT SCHOOL AND PROMPTLY FORGOT by E. Foley & B Coates

The titles are written exactly as I've typed them and they are both absolutely brilliant.

She bought them as a bit of a joke as I had been telling her about trying to explain the "i before e" rule to her son which he which he promptly went on to dispute by giving me a couple of the exceptions to the rule. biggrin.gif Mary

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 13th May 2011, 12:10pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
School Dr asked me one time, have you ever had trouble with appendicitis? Lass. Only when a try to spell it. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.