Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Schools Falling Further Behind, Gap in achievement rates continues to widen
GG
post 3rd Oct 2010, 09:07pm
Post #16

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Sorry, Grampar, but it's the nature of theses type of boards that the text is not actually recorded into the system until it is posted (Add Reply). If you navigate away from the page before posting then the content is lost. I generally advise that visitors use Notepad, Wordpad or Word to compose their contributions offline as they can save them while composing them.

Go on: try again ... or maybe just post some quick bullet points!?! smile.gif

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jazzsaxman
post 3rd Oct 2010, 10:11pm
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 8,324
QUOTE (Rob Rattray @ 3rd Oct 2010, 09:36pm) *
Just noticed the entry from Jazzsaxman -

to which I am thoroughly disgusted! If for anything,he should be welcoming the cause of improvement to his hometown, not rubbishing it!

Hey Rob. I am not rubbishing it, but many parents are trying to get thier children to schools in East Renfrewshire because the Glasgow schools are so bad. The solution is for Glasgow to improve the schools. As a result of of oversubscription and so called delineation areas the schools in East Renfrewshire have become oversubscribed to such a point that the schools are beginning to suffer. So the substandard schools in Glasgow are not just affecting Glasgow but surrounding areas. This is not the solution. Glasgow needs to get it's own house in order. In fact Scotland needs to get it's affairs in order. I lived abroad and wish I had never come back to this depressing country. In fact I am in the process of emigrating. The sooner the better.

+Quote Post
Frank981
post 4th Oct 2010, 04:04am
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,554
Lack lustre parenting and the PC brigade, plus teachers who no longer regard their employment as a vocation, have given the little darlings the high ground.This inert decay in morality must be stopped, children have no respect for authority.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 4th Oct 2010, 06:29am
Post #19

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
I was educated in Glasgow in the 50s early 60s when i left school i could do the basics without really thinking about it. My shortcomings were my own fault as i was too interested in other things mainly football. Then the powers that be started changing systems of teaching the basic subjects.Then The belt was abolished and some teachers could not maintain order without it.As i now listen to my grandkids talking its obvious they have no respect for teachers despite my best efforts to install some. Lets get back to teaching the basics properly and try to get some discipline back. I know there are financial issues to be overcome but i think these simple things would be a start

+Quote Post
clyderunner1
post 4th Oct 2010, 12:48pm
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,572
A comparison:

I know this isn't Scottish schools news, but here in Henrico, Virginia just west of Richmond and middle income, the students are not performing like those in Richmond, that has a predominant ethnic society, greater than whites and Henrico just the reverse.

Richmond schools had 100% of its schools pass the government sanctioned SOL (Standards of Learning) criteria for the 2009-2010 school year.

The Virginian

+Quote Post
Heather
post 4th Oct 2010, 01:30pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I think removing the Teachers right to discipline rowdy pupils is one of the cause's that led to the low standard of teaching
How can anyone teach a class of teenagers when they can speak to a Teacher anyway they want and it only takes a few rowdy one's to upset a whole class.
I'm appalled when I hear teenagers bragging about what they said to a teacher and their behaviour in the classroom.

I know from my days at school there were some Teachers who were strap happy and would give you the belt just for being late to school, no excuse accepted.
As I had mostly women Teachers it was usually 'lines' we got and if I got the belt for misbehaving, I dare not tell my parents or I would have got a clip on the ear, usually from my mum. sad.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
proudmaryhiller
post 4th Oct 2010, 04:04pm
Post #22

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
Heather I couldn't agree more with you. My nephew is an English/History Teacher who is working in the private sector. When he had his placements and his probationary year in Glasgow City Council run Schools some of the kids he taught were a nightmare, wee neds and nedettes, one of them actually had the brassneck to ask him out. He much prefers working in the Private sector, more disciplined and they have an awful lot of respect for their teachers too.

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"

+Quote Post
Heather
post 4th Oct 2010, 07:28pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Maryhiller, I know a young man who has been teaching for a year or two who would agree with your nephew.
He is in a school just outside Glasgow and said it is a nighmare.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Oct 2010, 08:05pm
Post #24

Administrator
Group Icon
The education department at the council believes comparing Glasgow schools to East Renfrewshire schools is "ridiculous", so let's compare them to another neighbouring local authority ... East Dunbartonshire.

If we take two schools just a couple of miles apart: Springburn Academy and Bishopbriggs Academy.

1. Percentage of the S4 year group from the previous year achieving one or more awards at SCQF Level 6 (Higher) or better.

Attached Image

2. Percentage of the S4 year group from the previous year achieving three or more awards at SCQF Level 6 (Higher) or better.

Attached Image

3. Percentage of the S4 year group from the previous year achieving five or more awards at SCQF Level 6 (Higher) or better.

Attached Image

These figures are truly appalling. The scale of the problem GCC faces with pupil attainment is huge, however, surely poverty is not the only issue here? Glasgow needs resources, as well as the political will and commitment, to tackle this problem across a wide range of issues.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
**Fiona**
post 5th Oct 2010, 07:00am
Post #25

The problem in Glasgow schools is firstly due to a lack of support by parents who themselves probably went to a bad school in Glasgow and therefor have little proper education to speak of. It's a cycle of neglect and despair that has lasted generations and remains to be broken. There are other problems such as the poor quality of teaching - would a good teacher want to work in a Glasgow school with all their problems... real and imagined? Then there are the kids themselves...

I question whether poverty itself is such a big issue as real poverty has been decreasing over the years but educational attainment in real terms has been falling (let's face it - Highers are much easier to pass than 10 or 20 years ago). There must me tens of thousands of kids in Glasgow schools who are not affected by poverty but still perform at a shockingly low level. Poverty is just an easy excuse for them - and the schools - to hide behind!

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 5th Oct 2010, 07:53am
Post #26

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
GG post I could not agree with you more,A 100% Good for you and thank You for thinking out this and showing,the figures too of percentages. woo am I happy that is not negitive.Travel the world people check out schools that have students who carry guns,it happens for sure.Glasgow was my education,good and not so good teachers,but I did respect all most of all my parents,for teaching me to be proud of myself. I am,and to be proud of being A scots,I believe others only laugh with us and at us for when they listen to us scots. Cheers all

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 5th Oct 2010, 07:44pm
Post #27

How many primary and secondary schools in Glasgow are spending time and effort teaching children who do not have english as a first langauge? I have just learnt of a certain secondary school where some 12 -13 year olds cannot read or write basic english. Seems a fair bit of money, time and effort is being expended bringing them "up to speed" in basic english. Seems the parents dont use english at home. Hence the problem. There is also a certain lack of ambition amongst some girls who think they can follow the sort of "celebrity" lifestyle we see in certain magazines, TV, newspapers etc. I know one set of working class parents who are working all the hours of the day to keep their kid at a fee paying school. The lad is doing great in this so called "posh" school. Sitting an impressive stack of "Highers". Yet you only have to look at the numbers of kids from some of these brand new secondary schools in the schemes sitting or being "presented" for highers to know something is badly wrong. No, for far too long the word "deprivation" has been used as a catch all phrase to cover the failure in education. Its a lack of parental control/ ambition/ class/ discipline. Some of these so called "schemes" have brand new houses, brand new schools yet education attainment is not progressing. It just gets me mad to see money being poured down a bottomless pit with less than impressive results.

+Quote Post
GG
post 9th Oct 2010, 11:59am
Post #28

Administrator
Group Icon
In The Scotsman last week, Tom Miers, an educational consultant, wrote that the fact that Glasgow's schools had the worst attainment standards in Scotland was undermining economic development in the city.

http://news.scotsman.com/politics/Tom-Mier...ults.6567050.jp

A few days later, Tony Mackay, an economic consultant, found that "Glasgow now has the highest rate of unemployment" of any Scottish local authority area. He accused the city council of "glossing over" problems in the city.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-11486383

Poor education standards = Poor economic performance ??

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mathieson
post 9th Oct 2010, 03:54pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,207
Shockeroonie! Are we really supposed to be surprised by these exposes?

I think the biggest surprise is that Glaswegians still continue to vote so heavily for the Labour party despite all the evidence showing that's it's doing no good for the city whatsoever.

--------------------
Three cheers for the Red, White and Blue !

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 9th Oct 2010, 06:10pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Schooling here in the U.S. is ranked 35th in the World!!!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.