Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Corporation Transport 1894 - 1973, Building a Photographic Website
iansemple
post 16th Oct 2004, 07:20am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 1,493
I am building a photographic website about GLASGOW CORPORATION TRANSPORT which began in 1894 and closed in 1973 (closed may not be the correct word). I am hoping to contact poeple that worked on the Trams, Buses, Trolleys or the Subway. I worked in Newlands Garage in the mid 1960's. Looking for any interesting stories about traveling on Glasgow's transport system, photographs would be most welcome. The web address is http://www.semple.biz/hobbies/front.htm .....Ian

This post has been edited by iansemple: 16th Oct 2004, 11:39am
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 16th Oct 2004, 01:31pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Hi Ian ,I worked on the buses ,as a Connie and a Driver in the late 50s,one of the best I heard was a punter saying to the Connie ,"you are only a Public Servant" to which she replied, So's the Cleansing Dept,an they don't pick up hauf,the shite we do!!!" biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
iansemple
post 17th Oct 2004, 06:02pm
Post #3

Visitor
Hi Jimmy..I had forgotten some of the real sharp one liners I used to hear. What garage were you in.

+Quote Post
ewanmac
post 18th Oct 2004, 10:44am
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 94
Hello there Ian, I worked at Newlands Garage for a while in the very early 60's, prior to that worked at Larkfield. I transferred when Newlands ceased as a tram depot. Mattie Boyle was my clippie. I had a good read at your web page and found it very interesting. You did a mighty job of it, considering you did most of it from memory

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 19th Oct 2004, 04:14am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Worked out of Ibrox Garage Ian,loads of laughs in the job.Betty 2 and Gemini ,board members are also ,ex Connies.Should chat them up for some patter. One I heard about from an SMT driver ,Woman comes on the bus at Clyde St the Terminus, say's to the Connie ,"are you going to Ayr" " aye " was the reply.Wee while later a. man comes on and says, Is this the Paisley bus. " aye " The woman jumps up and says " you told me you were going to Ayr " " a um! at the Glesga fair,where are you gaun ?" biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
iansemple
post 27th Oct 2004, 06:36pm
Post #6

Visitor
I am looking for photographs of GCT Buses, I have a number of pic's of Trams & Trollies. See http://semple.biz/hobbies/front.htm if you can help please contact me..

This post has been edited by iansemple: 15th Jan 2005, 04:58pm

+Quote Post
iansemple
post 30th Dec 2004, 06:34pm
Post #7

Visitor
I would like to say thanks to all of you that have contacted me through the website. We wish you all a very Happy New Year.

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 31st Dec 2004, 01:51am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Ian, I have a great framed print of the open angled tramcar that was in use from 1916-1924. My mother was a clippie during the first world war and I remember her telling me that her uniform was a hobble skirt and a straw hat. She had the same driver, Jimmie McKane, during all the years she worked on the cars.

+Quote Post
dbarber
post 31st Dec 2004, 02:06pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 334
Hi Everybody,
I worked in Larkfield Depot and sometime Langside Depot at various time between !955 and 1967.I had my moments as a conductor on buses,especiallythe #37.route.
Dee Bee.

+Quote Post
iansemple
post 2nd Jan 2005, 07:53am
Post #10

Visitor
Have you got any photos of your mother waring the GCT uniform Bunty or any of trams. It would be interesting to see them. My nightmare route was the 45 to Springburn.................Saturday night in the rain

+Quote Post
Henke
post 2nd Jan 2005, 01:57pm
Post #11

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,661
My father drove a tram in the late 50s early 60s. He has a newspaper cutting showing a lorry which crashed into his tram and the lorry ended up in the Clyde. His name is Bob Hebditch. He's English and married a Gorbals lassie Ann Penders. We're fae The Shaws.

--------------------
www.celticfc.net

Glasgow gave me more than it ever took away.

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 9th Jan 2005, 04:06am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
Ian, only the framed print which hangs in my kitchen. I wish I did have a photograph of my mother in those days. She did say that she had the same driver all the years she was on the cars. One day they were on a run down High Street, which has a steep hill, when her driver said he would stop the car if my mother would run into into a bakery and get something for their tea. When my mother came out of the store he had taken off and there she was trying to catch up with the car as it picked up speed down High Street. Hobble skirts might have been fashionable at the time but they were so tight around the ankles they were not designed for the work of a clippie on the double decker trams. True story.

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 9th Jan 2005, 04:49pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
here is a picture of the #23 it went from Maryhill To Bailliston .this looks like it is on the Maryhill rd near Bilsland Drive

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
maggie wilkie
post 9th Jan 2005, 05:14pm
Post #14

Resident
Member No.: 17
i have pic of mu mother wearing uniform ,she worked trams around 30s and 40s.in glasgow

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 9th Jan 2005, 05:40pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
hey wee mags tht looks like me oan that caur laugh.gif I too have some picures that was taken inside parkhead depot when I worked there mid 50's will look them out.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.