Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do You - Did You - Have A Pet?, Tell us about the wee character here
Rating 5 V
witshisname
post 10th Jan 2009, 09:35pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
I had a German Shepard when I first moved to Castlemilk in early 70's,we left him in the Kitchen over night & one night i got thirsty and went in for a drink and he jumped up on me and scared the S**t out of me,So parents gave him away sad.gif .
For the next few yrs it was a combination of having Budgies or Canaries,Just before coming to Canada My Mother caved in and bought me a wee Wire Haired fox Terrier.
I was excited as we had to go up to the breeders house and see aww the wee puppies and get my choice of them.
Sadly I only had him for a few months before I found out about us coming here,Luckily My Uncle was willing to take wee Dougal in.
I just regret not taking any pics of him.

Here's a pic of the Breed.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mary the cloggy ...
post 13th Jan 2009, 02:08am
Post #32

Super Visitor
Member No.: 5,877
och aye ,i had a wee westie,, her name wis alba, she would talk tae me,, a wee doll she wis,, a miss her.. also had cats,, bonny and clyde,, wee buggers miss them too,, also lizards,, mork and mindy,, nano nano, they died too fast ,, dont know why,, but i want another cat , cause they are good company rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 13th Jan 2009, 02:20am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
just remembered we had 2 terripins and when a was a wee lassie a had goldie the hampster and one saturday morning Iwas playing with it and she fell onto the electric fire and ran up and got burned on her head the schreams from her and myself were curdling my dad jumped up and as i was in shock and sobbing a told him whay had happened he bathed the hampster and it took a month or so for the burn to heal but a still remember that dreadful morning it still makes me feel sick sad.gif

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 13th Jan 2009, 03:15am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
QUOTE (stuarty @ 13th Jan 2009, 12:19pm) *
just remembered we had 2 terripins and when a was a wee lassie a had goldie the hampster and one saturday morning Iwas playing with it and she fell onto the electric fire and ran up and got burned on her head the schreams from her and myself were curdling my dad jumped up and as i was in shock and sobbing a told him whay had happened he bathed the hampster and it took a month or so for the burn to heal but a still remember that dreadful morning it still makes me feel sick sad.gif

awwwee thats a sad wee story stuarty ahm gled the poor wee thing got better though ,quick thinking frae yer Daddy ahd say . wub.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 13th Jan 2009, 08:32pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
we have a cat called fishbone it was a stray from the moter camp across the road it has a stump for a tail somebody had choped it off the reason we call it that i had to entice it whith fish that was four years ago still here biggrin.gif tongue.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 27th Jan 2009, 03:38pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I had two extremely close relationships with pets, firstly a German Shepherd whose mothers mother was a full wolf. Laika, as she was called, could be dangerous at times, would always walk half a length in front of me, never to heel, and watched every one who passed with a bodyguard's glare. She was a handful but she would genuinely have laid down her life for me, I thought...one day I was swimming in the Rhein and got caught in a current, I called Laika at the pitch of my voice and she plunged into the river and headed straight for me. I knew I only had to grab hold of her choke-lead or her tail and I'd be o.k. She came to within a few feet of me and must have felt that the strength of the current was too much for her to handle and moved away out of the current leaving me to my own devices. I got out somehow but thanked her anyway for trying. Maybe the selfpreservation bit was the wolf in her
The second pet belonged to my girlfriend. It was a Norwegian Forest Cat called Maus, a most beautiful creature but also with an untamed look about him. I asked my girfriend why she called him Maus, because that was the last name that I would have given to this beast who had attacked me on our first meeting, and she said `because she is so beautiful' (out here Maus is a form of endearment like a cuddely little mouse ) It took me a while to convince her that our little Maus was a male but Mary always refered to him as she. I came into the yard one day to pick Mary up to go for a walk with Laika and Benny ( a real dopey German/Belgian shepherd cross who was a laugh a minute.) The Maus was sat on the door step and as soon as he spotted the two dogs he flew straight at them with claws bared and hissing like a snake. Laika was a cat killer,
when there was nothing bigger about and when we were not quick enough to prevent her, but she stopped stock still for a second, probably couldn't believe her eyes, which gave me time to recover from my surprise and drag her and Benny back to my car where I locked them, slavvering against the inside windows, away. A hundred stories wait to be told about the Maus. Until he reached the age of 24 when he'd had to have a back leg amputated after being hit by a car when chasing after another cat who'd chanced his luck by venturing into the Maus' s territory, we could never keep him in. He'd had an eye removed about age 14 and I had to teach him to defend himself anew by catching him on the blind side a few times, When he got his hooks into you the best thing ( the only thing in fact) was just to sit down on the floor, try to ignore the excrutiating pain - and him- and wait till he sheathed his claws; then go and clean the wound. At 26 I had to put him down. I called the vet who made a house call. (She had often had to treat his various battle wounds and knew him well. One time she was inspecting the back of his throat - he only had one incissor left at that time - She had a little spatula like a lollypop stick in his mouth and he hissed at her and she sprung back about a meter. I said 'why so nervous, you know he only has one tooth ?' she said `he has 2 at the back)
I wouldn't let the vet give him the shot. She gave him an anaesthtic and showed me where to place the big one. To be honest I had anaesthetized myself before the vet got here, I had been trying to get my head round this for weeks and it was one of those real sunny weekends that suddenly appear in the middle of a real shitty winter.so I gave him that last weekend in the sun, rang the vet and shared a filet steak - his favourite nosh- with him a couple of hours before she got here then had another spliff. I felt I couldn't give that responsibilty to any one else since we really had been so close. I don't recommend the experience.
These were my first two animals and the experiences have never been repeated
although the animals have had others which filled the gaps that the left.
And all replacements have been taken out of animal shelters and no matter how disturbed they have been we've lived with that too. One cat, Charlie seems to take great pleasure in pissing on my clothes sometimes when he's annoyed with me or the other cat ( half Norwegian half Persian, she's Maus too but the gender is right this time and real cuddly) but when we saw him (Charlie)in the animal shelter he had been brought back that morning for the FIFTH time so we couldn't do that to him again
So now we give him drops, Bach Blüten it's called here- like homeopathic treatment I guess. Any way, Norwegian Forrest Cats are Cuddly and long living cats with a 25 year average age. Our's wasn't sooo cuddly ( but when he was it was like your birthday the feeling he gave you) but he was not so much your actual domestic breed which took hold in the early 70's, Todays version ar really different
Get down to your animal shelter and do yourself a favour. But do learn to accept your animal as part of the family, moods an' all. Don't be one of those who throw it out like the kitchen waste when they wind you up, you wouldn't do that with your kids, right?. I've a few of those stories too. Not nice.
Lots of luck and fun and enjoyment.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 29th Jan 2009, 03:42am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
Heres my loving little fellow Ashy whom is a Blue heeler cattle dog whom was dreadfully abused & bit all of us in the 1st few days of us meeting him [he was just so frightened we gave him time & we are glad we did as his true colours are beuteful his spirit is lovely]Ashy is now living a happier life & he gives us so much love & sometimes when I look at him I have to wonder what on earth were these folk thinking hurting a defenceless little cutie like him, he is a gorgeous natured little fellow ever so loving & nurturing too.we have had ashy for 3 & half yrs out of his 5yrs,his sufferings were terrible beatings starvation & abandonment as well as being left filled with worms & sickness & being 10 kgs underweight.I couldn't ask for a more loving dog now we love him so much he is very much a part of us & we try never to leave him alone too long as he gets lonely for our company ,we try take him with us or have our daughter or son mind him wilst we are away.Attached Image

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 29th Jan 2009, 04:38am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
Ashy is a smashing dog now Linda.
Tommi , what wonderfl stories bout your pets The Maus sounds like he was a brilliant cat ,wouldve liked to have met him, wee thug laugh.gif

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 29th Jan 2009, 04:42am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Have had only a few pets in my lifetime , Bluey and ceasie , both budgies, thumper and rascal , both rabbits and of course some of you will have seen The Molly Dog the current spoilt member of the Dainty family.

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 29th Jan 2009, 12:04pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Hey dainty, see aw that rockin about in the caravan's doing you good pal tongue.gif , you look really great penny, lovely wee dog to laugh.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 31st Jan 2009, 04:22am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Lindamac : What you did for Ashy was brilliant and you've reaped the rewards of your patience and understanding of an animals basic needs. I know we are not supposed to compare animals to children and we really don't but when we bring them into our homes we at least have to treat them like animal members of our households and we wouldn't treat our children badly and naturally we do love them. You are deserving of the slobbering love that only a dog can give.

Penny Dainty ; I did a lot of contracting on aircraft and was mostly away from home. somewhere in germany I was having great probs getting to sleep at night and it wasn't that my girlfriend wasn't in bed with me...we not only sleep in different beds , we sleep in different rooms !! We tried it till it nearly was a big prob. she needs total darkness in her room to sleep. I need to know when I open my eyes I'll see the moon and stars or dawn when it does. Her room door must be closed, mine must be open, I keep her awake by snoring, she wakes me up to get me to lay on my side.
All impossible conditions. after a long time winding each other up I suggested she has her room and I have mine. She couldn't believe it. She'd been scared to say that in case I'd flip. We're in our twentieth year now in a perfect relationship where we go to bed together then later go to sleep separately. perfect solution. so when I say I don't miss Mary in bed at night I mean it.
But I couldn't sleep well in my digs and then one night it clicked. I got out of bed went to the bathroom and got my bath towel and rolled it up with my soap bag inside and put it pressed down on the bed cover against my legs and was in the land of nod in no time. I'd missed the old Maus taking up half the bed. Heh, no joking at home when he was alive I'd be reading for a bit then switch out the bed light "Night Maus" then in less than a minute he'd come practically walking up my chest and make his cat sound and then go back to the foot of the bed and lie down again, I'd wake up sometimes like a sleeping contortionist. I don't get that with the new cats. But I can put my legs straight out now.

Talking about which, look at the time,(we're +1) am offski.
nite all, lol tomi.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 31st Jan 2009, 04:30am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Penny:

ps I'll try to get a picture of him set up when I get my head round all this techno stuff

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Feb 2009, 08:16pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
I scanned the only two pictures of the Maus and they were in .bmp format. thought i'd cheat and renamed then .jpg.....didn't work. scanned versions were rubbish anyway, colours took too much work.
Tommorow I'll photograph the photies then upload them . that should do the trick,
Watch this space

--------------------

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 4th Feb 2009, 03:51am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Ahm watchin biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Feb 2009, 09:09pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Penny: Part success now. Got the photies into the GALLERY.

Old Maus and elephant 009: is the Maus when he had both eyes and didn't like strangers in the garden. Mary carries that pic still in her purse. he srang on my back that day and scratched me.
Old Maus and elephant 010: Here he has his left paw braced on my shoulder and his right paw at my jugular.
The other two are the new mouse and charlie The maus 2 had been shaved for an op in the animal shelter we use that to show she really isnt fat but all hair. Today of course she fat. see her from behind she looks lihe a Tea cosy....For a really big teapot !
couldnt get a comment on the pics but I thinh I know how to now . Try it with the elephant !

--------------------

+Quote Post

17 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.