Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stewed Sausages
lindamac
post 18th Nov 2006, 12:40pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
Here another family winter favourite, Stewed gigot o lamb chops wi turnip,carrotts onions etc served wi mash supa yum!(grated turnip as well as diced intae the stew).served with mashed turnip or minted peas/ peppered cabbage. tongue.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
bonnie22
post 20th Jun 2010, 11:31am
Post #32

Visitor
Member No.: 7,989
Hi there everyone.I was interested in your Stewed Sausages,as I cook them now even in Australia. I cook them in with topside mince,carrots & onions.They are delicious and served with mashed totties and cabage-YUM- M The others in the family don't know how to cook this dish and they often ask me to make it for them. My mum used to make this dish all the time for us kids in Glasgow as it was a cheap meal to make a went further. Not many here have heard of this meal let alone willing ta try it.I especially love it and it brings back a few memories.
Bonnie

Perth - Australia

+Quote Post
bonnie22
post 20th Jun 2010, 11:32am
Post #33

Visitor
Member No.: 7,989
Hi there everyone.I was interested in your Stewed Sausages,as I cook them now even in Australia. I cook them in with topside mince,carrots & onions.They are delicious and served with mashed totties and cabage-YUM- M The others in the family don't know how to cook this dish and they often ask me to make it for them. My mum used to make this dish all the time for us kids in Glasgow as it was a cheap meal to make a went further. Not many here have heard of this meal let alone willing ta try it.I especially love it and it brings back a few memories.
Bonnie

Perth - Australia

+Quote Post
angel
post 20th Jun 2010, 01:33pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
..I like the flavour they give to a beef stew and they are really good in your steak pies biggrin.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
jaybee
post 20th Jun 2010, 09:07pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,800
I put them in steak pie here too but boy do I miss the good Scottish links. Stuff I buy here is awful.

+Quote Post
*Danny Brown*
post 3rd Oct 2011, 04:17pm
Post #36

With the stewed sausage, thats no fat yer throwing away it aw the flavour too.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 9th May 2013, 04:39am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
Are stewed sausages anything like stovies?

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
*Guvinjimm*
post 13th May 2013, 09:01am
Post #38

QUOTE (Purplefan @ 9th May 2013, 04:56am) *
Are stewed sausages anything like stovies?

A dont mean this tea be funny an' I dont remember whit stovies are, but when a' wis phoning international tae find oot how my mither wis doing in hospital I distinctly heard the atterndant askin' if she wanted stovies ta eat fur tea. She said awright an' she died the next day.
Whitever stovies are avoid them.

+Quote Post
Agnes2205
post 16th Aug 2016, 01:02pm
Post #39

Settling In
Member No.: 9,106
Hello everyone, well I'm glad someone has mentioned stewed sausages. I love this dish and cook it often. I am in Australia and hardly anyone has heard of this dish, even some of my Scottish friends don't remember it. What are they missing. .I...1/2 cook the carrots in water (just covering) and use the liquid in my mince /sausage dish . I brown some mince & onions first, add 2 oxo cubes , sausages & then the 1/2 cooked carrots . The skins usually come apart when cooking,so I just discard them. You can thicken the mince dish with whatever you like. Couple spoons ok soup ( mushroom flavour is best)
I use lots of carrots aprox 6-8 as I love them cooked in this meal

ENJOY

Hello from OZ

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 16th Aug 2016, 05:38pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Yum.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 17th Aug 2016, 12:21am
Post #41

QUOTE (Agnes2205 @ 16th Aug 2016, 01:02pm) *
Hello everyone, well I'm glad someone has mentioned stewed sausages. I love this dish and cook it often. I am in Australia and hardly anyone has heard of this dish, even some of my Scottish friends don't remember it. What are they missing. .I...1/2 cook the carrots in water (just covering) and use the liquid in my mince /sausage dish . I brown some mince & onions first, add 2 oxo cubes , sausages & then the 1/2 cooked carrots . The skins usually come apart when cooking,so I just discard them. You can thicken the mince dish with whatever you like. Couple spoons ok soup ( mushroom flavour is best)
I use lots of carrots aprox 6-8 as I love them cooked in this meal

ENJOY

Hello from OZ

I also live in Australia and one of the more positive aspects of this and the fact that I married a lady of French background with an Italian father, I was no longer subject to the horrors of Cuisine D' Ecosse. Biled sausigis, neeps n' totties, tripe and unyins biled in milk.

Never again; thank the lord.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 22nd Aug 2016, 10:37am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Agnes, excluding the mince, your stewed sausages sound a little like the Stovies my Ma used to make so many years ago. Today, for Stovies, I brown the sausages in the pan before adding onion rings and then sliced potatoes. I then mix two Oxo Cubes in warm water and, as things start to sizzle, I add that liquid to the pan. Unlike my dear old Ma, I like to add a few fresh herbs as the pot is cooking and have been known to add sliced or crushed garlic ! Love my Stovies !

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 22nd Aug 2016, 12:11pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
I thought stovies were potatoes that you slice and cook on top of a stew or casserole so they cook and soak up the gravy at the same time.

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 22nd Aug 2016, 12:12pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Tombro, sounds delish. I am now on my way to the store to get the sausages etc. and probably no one but HRH and I will enjoy them but that is their loss. smile.gif I do like to make steak and kidney pie, from time to time but just try getting kidney in the US. lol so I wait until I get back to Canada and make it there. Love the "old dishes", those women knew how to make a penny do a pounds worth. The only thing I ever had trouble with was sheep's head soup and tripe, never ever learned to deal with either of them. Yoiks.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 22nd Aug 2016, 12:14pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Sheep's head soup???? wacko.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.