Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Breid, Yer fave loaf, wither it be plain or pan
proudmaryhiller
post 7th Sep 2010, 07:23pm
Post #31

City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,432
That wee box rings a bell Melody. was the Milanda loaf much like the Mother's Pride we have now? My Dad was a driver for Bilslands Bakery and every Saturday he would bring home a large box of cakes which we would share with the neighbours, those cakes tasted like cakes way back then. smile.gif

--------------------
"I belong to Glasgow"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Sep 2010, 07:19am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Ah can't remember which shop they were from Mary, ye kind of chose which cakes ye wanted and ye picked family favourites and they came in a wee box of a half dozen and there was this wee kind of drawing of cakes in brown on the top of the box. smile.gif Oh it conjures up being wee and kneeling up at the table and the grannies wi their hats still on taking their tea. smile.gif Complete security and love.

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 8th Sep 2010, 07:25am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
Melody am sure it was City Bakers that had the wee boxes smile.gif My other favourite was Paris Buns and Eiffel Towers[spelling]

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
Melody
post 8th Sep 2010, 07:47am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Aw Paris Buns were my father-in-laws favourites. Sure it's funny how we remember all our loved one's favourite things? When I'm in the supermarket or whatever and see a certain thing it goes through my head, Dad's favourite or Gran's favourite or so-and so's favourite. It often makes me buy them just for the sake of it. smile.gif Good job their favourites wurnae caviar and champagnes. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 9th Sep 2010, 02:15am
Post #35

Ever remember being sent to buy "tea bread" when the aunties drapped in?

(Scones,buns etc) rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Melody
post 9th Sep 2010, 09:34am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Yes Guest, that seemed to be what folks called iced buns and things. smile.gif

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 10th Sep 2010, 12:23am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
When I was a milkboy..ScottishFarmers....(wee red electric van)..well fired rolls were the big seller every morning also the ice buns!

+Quote Post
beth
post 10th Sep 2010, 01:07am
Post #38

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
My daddy was a milkman with Scottish farmers, Think they delivered bread also and orange juice. I seem to remember both Mother's Pride and Milanda.

+Quote Post
mrssnuffy
post 10th Sep 2010, 01:43am
Post #39

Super Visitor
Member No.: 8,120
A plain loaf from the co-op, wrapped in white paper, and getting the big fat end to toast in front of a coal fire. Then smothering it in butter bought from the co-op out of a big wooden vat and patted into shape by two wooden paddles, kept in a stoneware jar with water. I guess the toffs had a pan loaf 'cause it was more "ree-fined". laugh.gif

+Quote Post
irrie
post 10th Sep 2010, 02:57am
Post #40

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
my ma used to send me about 10pm round to a wee bakers i think it was on vernon st.got rolls straight from the oven. as i carried them hame i felt the heat and smelt the smell absolutely brilliant they were

+Quote Post
beth
post 10th Sep 2010, 06:40am
Post #41

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 8,349
There used to be a midnight horror movie, think it was a friday. We would take the dog out and walk to the shop at the corner for the hot rolls. Rolls and fish fingers yummy at nearly midnight. The thought of it now makes me think yuck. Do remember making the toast on the open fire when I was wee. When we got married I used to get the creamery butter from Curly's on the Gallowgate near Belgrove. Used to ask for a pat of cramery butter. No idea what it weighed. Only on special occasions we got "Pan" Bread and then when we came here it is all you could get for a long time.Now we get fancy bread. Bit nae plain breid

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 12th Sep 2010, 04:39pm
Post #42

There used to be a midnight horror movie, think it was a friday. We would take the dog out and walk to the shop at the corner for the hot rolls. Rolls and fish fingers yummy at nearly midnight. The thought of it now makes me think yuck. Do remember making the toast on the open fire when I was wee. When we got married I used to get the creamery butter from Curly's on the Gallowgate near Belgrove. Used to ask for a pat of cramery butter. No idea what it weighed. Only on special occasions we got "Pan" Bread and then when we came here it is all you could get for a long time.Now we get fancy bread. Bit nae plain breid

+Quote Post
Elma
post 29th Oct 2010, 12:58am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
We always had pan loaf in our house. Never could like the black crust and bottom of plain bread.

+Quote Post
angel
post 29th Oct 2010, 01:49am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
In our house we never Had Pan bread, my mother always said it was far to doughy, Just like here in Canada after all these years I'm still searching for a decent loaf to buy, and now that I no longer bake bread it is impossible to find a decent loaf. ps at this time , I'm trying pumpernickel. smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 29th Oct 2010, 07:15am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
It's the same here Angel, I never buy pan bread it's like cotton wool. There seems to be plenty of varieties of bread in the supermarkets however they all taste about the same. I generally stick to plain bread unless I'm in Byres Road and buy some in the cheese shops.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.