Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Breid, Yer fave loaf, wither it be plain or pan
lindamac
post 20th Oct 2006, 04:07am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
Ma mammy always used mothers pride furr every day,however if we wurr tae hae picnics or visitors were in ,oor wee mammy sent me & ma big brither tae shope tae git a Perfection pan loaf ??? any wan mind o them? 1 day & it wis seterday coz da wanted his sports citezen newspaper tae. well off we dawdled goat the Perfection pan loaf 1st walked oan & goat the citezen sports ooto a newsagents in springburn called Harkins,sure we goat awe the right messages but it started pouring rain & ma brither gave me the paper tae stick up ma duke tae keep it dryish & tae oor horror we saw the perfection pan loaf wis pan deid,he wis hawdin it wrang way roon & the peices fell oot 1 by 1 ! we started greetin coz da belted us fur less,we hidd up a derlect close nearby feart tae go hame ,huddled freezing & starvin we ate the rest o the loaf,seemed we were there a life time but too oor joy we heard ma mammy screeming oot oor names as she stood there greetin fur us she saw us in oor fear we telt her the story & she laffed & gret &cuddled us tae bits & she shouts oot ave funnn them,she telt us tae shhh then wen da asked witt happened she took oer & said she drapped the breed trying tae grabus oot the scary close.widd ye bleeve it wis only 1hr fae we went missing hahahahalol biggrin.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Avril
post 20th Oct 2006, 07:45am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Awe Linda..yer wee story hud me greetin'.....I'nt mammy's just the best? I loved ma wee mammy.....she always save the day tae!
Ah don't remember the 'Perfection Pan', ah jist remember that plain breid wiz for the 'pieces' and pan breid wiz fur the visitors. My brother always goet the big plain breid 'ender' (ah'm sure that whit's we used tae call the crust)....that wiz indeed 'a sore haun'. Dae ye remember the greaseproof paper wrapper?...We used tae flatten it oot an' take it tae the swingpark an' sit oan it tae go doon the chute....it made it rerr an ' slidy!

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 20th Oct 2006, 08:40am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
Dae ye know witt Georgia,ma life as a wean were bad & mad,however a grew up & let the pain go yrs ago,a merried a gentleman who makes ma every day feel like ave nain o yon childhood pain left jist the funny bits are left.Getting masell back oan topic Aye a dae mind o yon greaseproof paper HAHALOL,me & ma brithers were often starvin & aul Da wis a meanie & gave us only 1 peice in mornin & 1 at night,being active as we wurr then wee were always hungry,the deal we weans made wis tae keep the secret untill all of us grew up.wee widd teeter & tiptoe tae the larder which wis in the kitchen facing da&mammies room,carefully the trade secret wis past wean tae wean,we widd undo the greaseproof wrap,steal the tap two pieces under the ootsider witt you called yer ender,carefully dizz it noo,an older bro widd melt connel wax tae pitt the folds back&sealed tae shape it awe back the gither haha Da never noticed furr years ,he did say more than twice,awethings are gitting weeer & weeer haha laugh.gif biggrin.gif Ma Da realised his mistakes wen what seemed tae be too late,However he wis back then he indeed eventualy get better.OOR DA APOLOGISED TAE AWE HIS WEANS NOO HES IN HEAVEN & NOO AS WELL AS DA <WE ARE AWE THE BETTER!!!!

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
sumac
post 2nd Nov 2006, 09:09pm
Post #19

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I've just come back from my sister-in-law's in Halifax - and I was amazed at the bread that the sandwiches were made out of!
I asked my sister-in-law if she had spent ages cutting the crusts off the pan loaf.
"No," she says. "It's an Invisible loaf!"
It seems that you can now get pan bread without any crusts! If it has arrived in Scotland yet, nobody's letting on, but would you believe it? What next - no bread, only crusts?!!! Where will it end? laugh.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 18th Aug 2007, 04:22pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Bilsland's plain bread was brilliant. Do ye no remember "Bilsland Bob the Mountie." That was their advert. My dad was the manager of Andrew Cochrane;s in Maryhill Road [the one that faced down into Bilsland Drive] and they only sold Bilsland's bread.

+Quote Post
Lion
post 18th Dec 2007, 12:23pm
Post #21

Settling In
Member No.: 4,861
Lindamac - I know about outsiders - I am 57 - not scared to say that. Merry Christmas to you.

+Quote Post
**bobby**
post 2nd Aug 2010, 08:34pm
Post #22

Bilslands Bakery was taken over by Spillers French which they called their bakery division Homepride Bakeries.In fact it was 1978 when spillers french went into liquidation and closed their intrest in the bakery industry.
In saying that Bilslands Bakery was actually a PROFIT making bakery at the time with over 100 delivery vans on the road.The reason i know this?My late father was Bakery sales manager at the time of its demise.

+Quote Post
*Andy Wilson*
post 4th Aug 2010, 01:19am
Post #23

Anybody remember Milanda breid?-and "American Pan Loaves"-I mind my maw brought one hame when I was a kid and I ate the whole shebang with "best butter" (margarine) on it!

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Aug 2010, 08:53am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Beattie´s, Bilsland´s, Welma and Milanda are my memory. used to hate square/ plain bread when I was a kid. We usually had "French" which was not very French- very strange shape. also think that the "Vienna" loaf was more like French and probably unknown in Austria.

BTW, Danish pastry is called Viennese in Denmark. How do all these errors occur?

My father worked in Beattie´s in Dennistoun for a while 1n the late 50´s and my mother in Macfarlane Lang´s , Tollcross .

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
benny
post 4th Aug 2010, 09:19am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Ma Ma worked in Milanda in Weslayan Street back in the 1960's, an ah can honestly say there's nothin nicer tae a cuppa tea than a few warm crumpets pulled ooty yer cleavage. Swipin the strawberry tarts wis a bit merr o a problem though. biggrin.gif

Milanda had a wee shop called the Shan Shop where damaged products could be bought cheaper. Little did the public know it wis also hoatchin wi rats.

Ah don't normally eat white breid noo - ah switched tae wholemeal breid aboot 30 years ago - but ah still like the odd plain piece oan jam. The best white breid ah ever tasted wis Price's - the loaves were usually aw misshapen, but the crusts were as black as the Earl o Hell's waistcoat. Ma Ma used tae always tell me it made yer herr curly - it jist made mine faw oot. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Aug 2010, 09:21am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Aye, Benny - a loat o us huv been conned wi you story! sad.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 6th Sep 2010, 04:38pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Remember the lovely different kinds of bread we could buy in Lewis's? I particularly remember a sort of cottage loaf my gran would buy although she called it a French loaf. I can still remember how great it tasted. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 6th Sep 2010, 08:19pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
Melody do you mind of the Vienna loaf, we used to get in Lennies the bakers beside us it was a crusty loaf

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 6th Sep 2010, 11:23pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Anne I remember my mother buying the Viena loaf, they didn't last too long in our house.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 7th Sep 2010, 06:04pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Vienna loaf that was fab. It reminds me of the wee half dozen box of cakes as well. Was it Tunnocks cakes ah'm rememberin' they had the picture of the wee cakes in kind of brown outline on the top of the box?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.