Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barnhill Poor House, Family History
wee davy
post 4th Jun 2010, 06:33pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
so why was he in a Poor House?

If his occupation was described as shipyard labourer, in a census, or even in some poorhouse parish record, it doesn't mean he was actually working when he died - or indeed wasn't injured in the Great War, and as what did happen to a lot of people, was UNABLE to work due to his injuries, and this was all the 'welfare' he was afforded!
Suggest you check Archive sites, for him - mentioned in dispatches etc if u haven't done so already.

My theory was not an uncommon experience for our forces in those days.

good luck Glesca Trotter

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 4th Jun 2010, 07:35pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Good answer Davy!...Never thought about that..some of these people probably had a very productive life before going to Barnhill..you never know what will become of your life.As a youngster (in the 50's) I'd see the residents walk and sit on the benches on the beautifull grounds as the place was next to where I lived,I knew people that worked there and as I said before,never heard any horror stories...

+Quote Post
*Ed Boyle*
post 27th Jul 2010, 04:52pm
Post #18

Is someone died there in 1924 (as a pauper), where would they likely be buried?

Thanks,
Ed.

+Quote Post
**North Canalbank St**
post 31st Jul 2010, 03:58am
Post #19

QUOTE (Ed Boyle @ 27th Jul 2010, 06:02pm) *
Is someone died there in 1924 (as a pauper), where would they likely be buried?

Thanks,
Ed.

Sighthill Cemetery

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 31st Jul 2010, 04:04am
Post #20

Should point out the term "You'll have me in Foresthall" and no doubt Barnhill before it, was used by people to annoy those asking for a loan of money.

The Southern General was another famous poorhouse of its time.
Notice the old buildings are being knocked down as i write this.

Nobody should ever forget Barnhill was a prison for the crime of poverty.

+Quote Post
*Chris_C*
post 11th Aug 2010, 01:05pm
Post #21

My Great Great Grandfather died in there in Dec 1908. There was no official record of where he was laid to rest, it took me a lot of research to discover that paupers were loaded onto a cart and taken up to sighhill in the middle of the night. Very sad indeed.

As an earlier poster said, the mitchell library has all the barnhill records available and they are fascinating.

chris

+Quote Post
*Vambo*
post 10th Dec 2010, 11:35pm
Post #22

QUOTE (Chris_C @ 11th Aug 2010, 12:43pm) *
My Great Great Grandfather died in there in Dec 1908. There was no official record of where he was laid to rest, it took me a lot of research to discover that paupers were loaded onto a cart and taken up to sighhill in the middle of the night. Very sad indeed.

As an earlier poster said, the mitchell library has all the barnhill records available and they are fascinating.

chris

Hi there.

Just thought I would leave a comment on how interesting this board has been. I was researching my family history and shock, gasp, horror! discovered on my grandfathers birth certificate that he was quote, 'born in Barnhill Poorhouse' 'illegitimate' being the term entered under fathers name. This was in 1898. I dread to think of how his mother would have been treated by the caring staff at the institution.

He did however survive his time there and fulfilled his role as part of the poverty stricken working classes and fought the 14-18 war on the fields of France at the age of sixteen. He somehow survived this too and I am here today in part thanks to him and also my father. He also fulfilled his role when he signed up in 1938, at the age of seventeen, for the next instalment. 'Ah the good old days eh!!!!'

Both my father and grandfather were good,decent, solid, hard working, men who did their best for their families and their neighbours. They were however both unfortunate to have been young at a time when the working classes had a missed placed sense of duty and whose real use was to be cannon fodder to be used 'as required'. It's only now I am older (just turned 50) that I understand the true extent of what they experienced from the cradle to the grave. It has made me realise that things don't change that much in a hundred years.

Vambo

+Quote Post
*joan mcateer*
post 7th Jan 2011, 07:40pm
Post #23

Hi ,
I have researched lots of branches of my family. My mothers grandmothers name was Catherine Kerr she died in 1885 aged 18 shortly after giving birth to her daughter Agnes.
Catherine's husband Henry eventually became an inmate at Barnhill Poorhouse on two occassions.
I visited The Mitchell Library and held the book with his application details. He died there in 1892 aged 26 from a brain tumour.
Agnes appears to have been brought up by her maternal grandfather Francis Smillie and went on to marry my grandfather George Mcleod. Agnes and George then went on to have a large family, my mother being one of them. They too died relatively young and I never got to meet them. My mother was only twelve when they passed.
The staff at the Mitchell Library said there were no records of burial sites for inmates. I would have liked the opportunity to visit his grave as I am sure none of his family knew of his plight.
A lot of my research was done through Scotlands People and I would recommend it to anyone looking to get to know there family history.
Make the most of the time you have and the family around you.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 21st Jan 2011, 10:56pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
My 2x great gandfather also died in Barnhill. Before being sent there he had been in Stobhill Hospital. Apparently when nothing more could be done to treat you in the hospital you were then sent to Barnhill Infirmary to either recuperate or die.
As other have said before Mitchell Library is a treasuretrove of info. The particular ancestor I mentioned also came from Greenock so I went down to have a look at the archive there and it appears someone at some point decided to destroy the Poor Records. So disappointing as my 3x great grandmother was also listed an "in receipt of anuity from the parish" (hope I'v spelled it right).

+Quote Post
the brauns
post 22nd Jan 2011, 12:13pm
Post #25

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,882
This is in reply to Joan Macateer from a few posts above. My gr gr grandmother married a William Kerr in 1874 after she was widowed from my gr gr grandfather, John Mulhinch. William Kerr, age 30, was listed as the son of George Kerr and Sarah Kennedy (ms) Kerr. I also found this on Scotland's People website. I am wondering if perhaps could be the same Kerr family. Together, William Kerr and Sarah Jane Mulhinch Kerr had a daughter, also Sarah, in 1875.

My gr gr grandmother, Sarah Jane Mulhinch, died in Barnhill Poorhouse in 1903. I would love to search the Mitchell records for information on her but that will have to wait until my next visit to Glasgow.

+Quote Post
*Kathryn Murray*
post 13th Apr 2012, 03:10pm
Post #26

I only recently discovered that this ancestor who was assistant governor at Barnhill in the 1880s, also committed suicide there with an over dose of laudenum in 1888. With his association with Barnhill is there a chance that there is a photograph of him out there somewhere?

+Quote Post
seamus1954
post 28th Jun 2012, 03:13am
Post #27

Lord Provost
Member No.: 13,082
Barnhill Poorhouse , My Maternal Greatgranddad William John Long's Death Certificate Has as place of Death as 603 Edgefauld Road formally lived at 428 Rutherglen Rd in 1941 would there any information on this was this Barnhill??? Sincerely the newest "Kid" on the Block seamus Oh MY GOD just reading some of the comments below WOW

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 28th Jun 2012, 08:11am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (seamus1954 @ 28th Jun 2012, 05:28am) *
Barnhill Poorhouse , My Maternal Greatgranddad William John Long's Death Certificate Has as place of Death as 603 Edgefauld Road formally lived at 428 Rutherglen Rd in 1941 would there any information on this was this Barnhill??? Sincerely the newest "Kid" on the Block seamus Oh MY GOD just reading some of the comments below WOW

Welcome to the boards seamus1954, it looks like the address you have was Barnhill. The other address would have been in the Gorbals or close by. The route of the road has changed considerably over the years.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
seamus1954
post 29th Jun 2012, 12:57am
Post #29

Lord Provost
Barnhill on CLOSER inspection the address was 657 not 603 the record is hardto read in some parts thank you for the information

+Quote Post
seamus1954
post 29th Jun 2012, 03:52am
Post #30

Lord Provost
Barnhill Poorhouse On the 1911 census of Scotland Grandpop Long was listed as a "Inmate' In the United States that has another meaning !!!! At Cumbanauld Dunbarton ??? I know He Died at 657 Edgefauld Road Barnhill was this another place earler in His life ???

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.