Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvinside Avenue
Rabbie
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:25pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Ok, lets get away left and rights as they can easily confuscate issues. That's why ships and aircraft have port and starboard designations, they are absolute references, in that these do not change regardless of what direction the vessel is heading or wherever yer nose happens to be pointing.

What we need to clear this up is to ascertain and define ordinal directions and elevation contours. Thankfully in this image not too difficult as there are some distinct clues

1) Shadows.
2) Gradient.
3) A knackered wee wifie shuffling up the hill.

Consult a topographical map and ascertain ordinal direction of downward / upward gradients, then interpolatate this with the shadows. You should be able to determine, with a little loose logic the orientation of the street where the shadows are being cast.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:34pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Ive found an image of Kelvinside Ave tenements on the SCRAN website but it is a bit small for me to compare.

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:45pm
Post #33

Visitor
Member No.: 7,413
Just had a quick look at SCRAN and the image shown in the first picture is of the left side of the Avenue going up towards Maryhill Road. The bottom end of the tenement was blown down and later, a bit more was demolished in the "making safe" process. It is clear, nevertheless, that there are no shop fronts to be seen on that side of the road.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:49pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
The image is a bit blurred.I seem to recall shops on the other side of the street.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:56pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Please see map image below.

Attached Image

This shows the Kelvinside Ave has an almost west / east alignment, give or take. Therefore. it is reasonably safe to deduce that the shadows are falling on the southern aspect of the tenements, which would naturally mean the sunlight tenements are on the northern side of the Avenue. This would imply that the shops are also on northern or left as you go up hill, or on the right as you decend, as appears to be indicated in the image.

--------------------

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:58pm
Post #36

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,297
Hi very interesting topic i used to walk up and down kelvinside avenue in the 60's to go to St.Charles Primary School..But like everyone else cant remember exactly were the shops were located.Have attached a detailed street plan of the area to throw into the mix and hope it can jog some memories...

Martin....

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 18th Jan 2012, 09:09pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Nice one, the benchmarks confirm a downhill gradient from Maryhill Road. We are getting there... elimanation of the obvious hehe.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 18th Jan 2012, 09:13pm
Post #38

Visitor
Hello Martin, welcome to the fray. Your map is most welcome. Shows a very clear picture of the whole of the Avenue and surrounding streets.

I still think the basic problem is my misinterpretation of the architecture and ground level. The buildings suggest the road is descending towards the top of the picture.

I know exactly where the shops were and most of the folk who lived in the Avenue. I lived, worked and went to church with with them. I used the shops and knew most of the owners.

I just cannot interpret the original picture so if you have any pointers please let's have them.

Steeplejack

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 18th Jan 2012, 09:16pm
Post #39

Visitor
Hi Rabbie,

Thanks for your scientific approach. As I've just explained to Martin I lived on the Avenue so I do have a fairly good working knowledge of what was where. I suspect my interpretation of the tenement archtecture is at fault. They say the camera never lies but this one is sure trying.
Steeplejack.

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 18th Jan 2012, 09:33pm
Post #40

Visitor
Thanks for bringing up SCRAN. I'd never heard of it before. I shall spend a bit more time digging around there, that's for sure.

There were shops on the other side of the Avenue. I think it was Nos 39 and 41 were two small general stores which sold just about everything. One was called Dunn's Stores and of the two was the older and better known. There were more shops at the Queen Margaret Road end. Most of these were failing. As I recall one was an electrical supplier and another sold stuff for the trades. I have a mental picture of glazed chimney pots in the window. These were all located down by the Pen which is clearly shown on the map supplied by Martin. Also clear on the map is the space between the Belhaven Instutute (marked as a Hall on the corner of Marmion Street) and the end of the tenement. They have built a school on this site.

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 18th Jan 2012, 10:19pm
Post #41

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,297
Hi Steeplejack..Here is an Aerial view Picture of Kelvinside Avenue/Queen Margaret Drive And Other Streets. This Gives You A Better View Of Kelvinside Avenue At That Time...
Martin....

Attached Image

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 18th Jan 2012, 10:40pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Yoo boyz a just wonderful to be taking the time to help Steeplejack out biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 18th Jan 2012, 11:17pm
Post #43

Visitor
Martin, where have these great images come from? There is sufficient detail in the aerial view for me to identify my old back-court! What a great surprise. Even if I don't manage to sort out the questions I've raised about the picture your map and aerial view has made my day ! I have so many memories of my time there. Thank you very much for taking the trouble to contribute.

Steeplejack.

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 18th Jan 2012, 11:23pm
Post #44

Visitor
Hello Glasgow Lass,

All the activity about the Kelvinside Avenue picture is not primarily to help me out but to see whether or not the photograph used in the book I received for Christmas, is genuine, because it portrays some peculiar features which do not sit easy with me. Nevertheless I am very grateful to all the folk who take the trouble and time to contribute and help unravel the queries.

Steeplejack

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Jan 2012, 11:32pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
I was amazed to see the lady and her child in the aerial shot. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.