Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvinside Avenue
Jupiter
post 24th Nov 2011, 09:51pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
There are a number of pics of Oban Drive,Kelvinside Ave and NKS school on www.friendsreunited.com.
Joop rolleyes.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 25th Nov 2011, 05:43pm
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 7,413
Hello Norrie,

Thank you for offering to check your photographs. Any help will be much appreciated. I have no hope at all now that the Avenue is gone so I'll hang on in there just in case.

Are you, by chance an ex Avenue man? I had a friend on the Avenue called Norrie - No 34 or 36 I think he lived at.

Thanks again,

Steeplejack.

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 26th Nov 2011, 08:50pm
Post #18

Visitor
Hi Jupiter,

You must visit a different Friendsreunited to me 'cause I've spent ages prowling the photographs available there and, yes, I can find the demolition of the old school and a background of Agnes Street and Oban Drive but nothing of the Avenue. Are you looking other than at the pictures listed for ready viewing?

Cheers,

Steeplejack.

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 17th Jan 2012, 10:23pm
Post #19

Visitor
Hello All,

I wonder, can anyone help me understand the pictures shown below?

Some time ago when I was asking questions on the site about Kelvinside Ave and its demolition, I went on prowling across the site and as a result discovered a book mentioned by someone called Bygone Maryhill by Guthrie Hutton. I arranged for one of my family to give it to me for Christmas. What an excellent picture reference ! Not only that but inside were two pictures of Kelvinside Avenue. I couldn't believe my luck. It was only when I looked more closely at one of the pictures, Exhibit A, that I began to wonder if it was correct or if the original negative had been placed the wrong way round.

The Avenue was a gentle hill down from Maryhill Road to Queen Margaret Drive. It had shops on one side only - on the left as you went down. There were a couple of small general stores on the left about half-way down, round about No. 37 - 41 and a couple more, electrical and fireplace etc. down towards the Pen at the bottom. There were no shops on the right going down.

The first picture (Exhibit A) as shown in the book suggests there were shops towards the top of the Avenue on the right going up the hill. The architecture of the tenament buildings however, implies they are going down hill?? Would you agree? I know I'm getting on a bit but I just can not make sense of this picture as presented.

I couldn't leave it at that. Obviously someone had taken the picture of the Avenue but I just cannot work out how. After some hair pulling I inverted it (ExhibitB) and then, to me, it looked much more like the real thing. The Avenue was travelling in the right direction, the buildings looked correct and the shops were in the right places. But, the car number plate is now back-to-front !

Can someone please help me by explaining just how the original picture could have been taken.

Exhibit A
Attached Image

Exhibit B

Attached Image

Thanks for any comments you can make.

Steeplejack.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 17th Jan 2012, 10:51pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Good observation on'yir part Steeplejack, am sure that some of our photographer's will offer a few explanations. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 17th Jan 2012, 11:14pm
Post #21

Visitor
Hello Glasgow Lass,

That is exactly what I'm hoping for ! If only there had been a decipherable number on the close - that would have helped. It's many a long year since I saw my old home but the pictures are clear in my mind.

Regards,
Steeplejack

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 17th Jan 2012, 11:36pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
I am nea expert in optics! laugh.gif Well I am but thats another story to be telt over a few nippy sweeties.

OK, aff tae wurk noo. You may notice that the text overlay in the second image is also inverted, just like like the reg no on the Rover. The original piccie appears to have been taken through the back of a car windea.

I think it is the incline perception that is confusing here. What appear to be uphill is up is actually downhill. This this is the case, it could account for the left - right side swop.

On a closer shiftie at the original / top image, if you follow the horizontal alignment of the stonework on the tenements, which is hopefully level, you can discern that the slope decends towards the background and rises towards the foreground. Therefore, the wee wifie is walking up a wee brae.

Hope that sheds a wee bit of light on this.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 18th Jan 2012, 12:18am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
a saw that fotty was snapped from a motor but didn't think it would have made a difference unless the snapper was staunin on his heed, well done Rabbie, is this case closed! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:19am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
A is the original and the second one is the same image only the negative has been reversed thus showing a different angle.

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 18th Jan 2012, 04:36pm
Post #25

Visitor
Hello Jupiter and Glasgow Lass,

I’m afraid Jupiter’s answer doesn’t bring an end to the picture question at least not as far as I’m concerned. Let me explain:-
The explanatory text under the second picture (ExhibitB) is inverted simply because, along with the picture, I inverted it ! This text would have no bearing on which way round the original picture was taken or developed. It would have been added to the page after the picture was in place – irrespective of which way round the picture was placed on the page. The car number plate, however, is a different kettle of fish. It is part of the original picture and if the negative had been developed the wrong way round the number plate would be incorrect, which is not the case in the first picture.

The architecture of the buildings suggests to me that the ground is dropping away towards the top of the picture. I’m pleased you agree to that. The implication of this is that we are looking “DOWN” the Avenue towards Queen Margaret Drive and not up the Avenue towards Maryhill Road/Agnes Street. That being the case we must be looking at the right-hand side of the road, looking down the Avenue. There are clearly shop fronts visible and there were no shops on that side of the Avenue. Apart from which all the closes from about No.34 down to the Belhaven Institute (as it was then known ) at the bottom of the Avenue, were demolished pre 1970s and this picture does not show any sign of that demolition.
If my interpretation of the buildings is completely wrong and we are, in fact, looking up the Avenue and the shop fronts in the picture are in fact only two in number and not three or four, then I can just about accept the picture as shown.

I would dearly love to know the number of the visible close behind the young mother. That would solve the mystery in a moment.

It’s a pretty boring topic for most folk so I won’t go on with it. Someone with a personal knowledge of the Avenue may come across the pictures and add a comment. Thanks anyway for your interest and comments.

Steeplejack.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Jan 2012, 05:03pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Steeplejack,discount the second image and I think Rabbie has it right.The woman is walking up
towards Maryhill Road.Probably had junior down at the swings! rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 18th Jan 2012, 06:29pm
Post #27

Visitor
Hi Jupiter,

OK if she is walking UP the hill towards Maryhill Road, what side of the Avenue is she on - the left or the right?
My apologies if I misquoted you in mistaking Rabbie's comments for yours. Sorry.

Steeplejack.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:12pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
If she stayed on the footpath she would come to the HLI pub.East footpath walking south.

+Quote Post
Steeplejack
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:20pm
Post #29

Visitor
That's what I thought too. So how do you account for the shops which are clearly visible. There were no shops on that side of the Avenue?

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 18th Jan 2012, 08:24pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Doh!Im scratching my head. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Jul 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.