Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Executions, For murder in glasgow
Rating 5 V
martinjmurray
post 16th Feb 2004, 07:13pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 962
I am researching executions in Scotland and most happened due to cases in Glasgow. Additionally mosat of the areas are now demolished. eg Plantation: Blackburn street the only plce in Scotland where two murders 40 years apart led to executions, Neptune Stret in Govan here two brothers were due o be hanged until the day before one confessed. And the carraher murders in gorbals and townhead, until jimmy boyle the only man to be tried twice for murder. Can anyone help me as even Duke Street Prison site of many executions is no more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 18th Feb 2004, 02:02am
Post #2

Hi Martinmurray if you tell me the years you are looking for,I have info on all the executions of the last century

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 18th Feb 2004, 10:39am
Post #3

Hi Martin
On the 7thof july 1950Claude&Paul Harris were accused& convicted of killing Martin Dunleavy Paul took the blame&Claude got reprieved.Paul got hung in the october at Barlinnie,the incident took place at 151 Neptune St

+Quote Post
Heather
post 19th Feb 2004, 12:19am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Martin, It depends on how far back you want to go. Glasgow Cross was a place of executions many many years back.
One of the well known Scots to be hung there was St. John Ogilvie in 1615 for saying Mass and preaching the Catholic Religion.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 19th Feb 2004, 10:07am
Post #5

Visitor
QUOTE (Guest @ 18th Feb 2004, 10:56 AM)
Hi Martin
On the 7thof july 1950Claude&Paul Harris were accused& convicted of killing Martin Dunleavy Paul took the blame&Claude got reprieved.Paul got hung in the october at Barlinnie,the incident took place at 151 Neptune St

many thankas i am aware of the caes and whgere they happened via exhaustive research. what i am trying to get is the culture circumstances and nature of those who did it. some were executed for crimes less gruesome than others who were reprieved, why was this. such as the harknesses in the 1920's he was executed yet she was not, while it seems that the street was either renamed or demolished. not sure which. however evidence suggested she rather than he did it. the harris case was bafd as two brothers would have hanged yet a gut in helensburgh was reprieved a mobnth earlier. m[QUOTE]

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 19th Feb 2004, 08:05pm
Post #6

Hi MartinI have only references to executions.
The Harkness trial they were both sentenced to hang but his wifes sentence was changed to life imprisonment.
As for the place of the murder 67 George St Whiteinch I think the propertys will still be there as I don`t think Partick or Whiteinch was part of Glasgow in the 1920s the girl they killed was only 14 years old

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Feb 2004, 11:54pm
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Received from MJM in error via 'Reported Post':

I am looking for any info on the perpetrators such as did they have previos convictions, where did they live, what happened to their families. John keen had a young son, paul harris had twoi kids, john lyons a daughter.susan newall's daughter was with her when she was arrested, and her natural father was cdead and her step father wronglfllt accused. in case of lyons lennie and crosbie only lyons hanged why? any such info would be useful to contectualise my work. many thanks. m

--

Many thanks. this case i know well as it is unique in sciottish history. the english executed two brother in the 1930's but necver done in scotland.also last woman in scotland was 1923 while ruth ellis was 1955 and one of two women. again the scene of crime rebuilt so hard to contextualise. was it you who wrote the executions book, as it was a good read but takling things from a different angle from my interest. greatful of any advice such as what happened to the bodies at duke street when they bilt the fllats etc. Many thabnks. m

--

Many thanks I'm trying to get info on 20th century cases only as threy are most relevant to the chane in attitude. we went from virtually everyone seeing an execution by 1868 to 1969 when abolition was ratfied. Places like Blackburn street was the scebe of two murders leading to executions as was queens park recs.i'm looking for anything anyone remebers about the cases. the type of people involved, the culture etc. many thanks.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Gallusbisom
post 20th Feb 2004, 12:11am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
One of my cousins, born in the Plantation area, was a policeman then in the CID, perhaps he may know something of the history of these crimes, I will ask. Problem is, he does not, at this time, use a computer, but I will write to him, he still lives in Glasgow, and his wife's father was also in the police force, maybe they have some old stories? Will try. Where exactly did these crimes occur and when and what happened-sorry I am not familiar with them, but will forward your info. Hope it works out.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 21st Feb 2004, 02:36am
Post #9

Hi Martin
The bodies at Duke St & Barlinnie were buried in lime pits so don`t know if there would be much leftI believe the names were on a wall in the prison don`t know if they are still there.
The Lyons case was a gang fight in Argyle St.Lyons got executed Rennie done 9 years Alex Crosbie done 10 years& was released in 1956 ,lyons was his brother in law

The book I have is Enclopaedia of executions by John Eddleston
interesting to note that no executions took place in Scotland Between1928& 1946

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 21st Feb 2004, 03:47am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I lived next to Barlinie prison. Does anyone remember the Manuel case .He was hung in Barlinie I guess some time around 1960

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
martinjmurray
post 21st Feb 2004, 09:03am
Post #11

Visitor
QUOTE (Guest @ 19th Feb 2004, 08:22 PM)
Hi MartinI have only references to executions.
The Harkness trial they were both sentenced to hang but his wifes sentence was changed to life imprisonment.
As for the place of the murder 67 George St Whiteinch I think the propertys will still be there as I don`t think Partick or Whiteinch was part of Glasgow in the 1920s the girl they killed was only 14 years old

yes case was a strange oner as it seems she was the more likely perpatrator. asked his brother to help dispose of the body of elizabeth benjamin.true anti semitic reporting of the time constantly referred to her as "the jewess"

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Feb 2004, 09:03am
Post #12

Administrator
Group Icon
Received from MJM in error via 'Reported Post':

Many thanks. I'm primarily interested in the executionsbut also in the background. I've got date on all executions and even cases where the person was reprieved such as Harkness's wife and more nutoriously Donald Forbes who went on to kill again. Interstingly I cant find 67 george street on a map! Similar problems with Neptune street as its all demolished and everyone whose been helpful is in Canada. As I was from Ayrshire its hard to get to know the areas as they were. Many thanks for this and any other help ou can give. Got some info on John Lyons cae from the granddaughter of John Lennie who was reprieed when Lyons was hanged many thanks for any assistance. Martin

--

Yes Manuel was Scotland's only serial killer haned in q1958. Many people think he was the last execution but there was one more in 1960, Tony Miller 19, for a robbery/murder in Queenspak recs, and another in Abercdeen in 1963. I used to be on the VC at Barlinnie.

--

Cases I refer to happened in the 1920-50 time frame. They were mainly random or diomestic crimes. They tend to show how we havemoved as now even multiplemurders arenot executed but these were. Carracher was desribed as a psychopath and killed two men in a fight, 5 years apart, Robertsons gassed their kids, Lyons was in the Cumbie and killed a guy with others in 1946 but only he was executed. The Harris brother were convicted of killing a guy in a fight but were both due to hang, younger one took the rap, older one reprieved, died in mid 1980's. Carracher firsat perso to face two murder trials, Harris brother unique in that they saved one of them themselves, Robertsons served only 3 years after reprieve shortest sentence. Harkness case had wife reprieved husbad hanged yet it emed more lokely she did it. Hope this helps.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Feb 2004, 09:38am
Post #13

Administrator
Group Icon
Note to martinjmurray:

Please use the 'Add Reply' options at the bottom of the page.

The 'Report' option is only for flagging up contentious posts.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 25th Feb 2004, 08:31pm
Post #14

To Martinmurray
George St in Whiteinch is now Medwyn St

+Quote Post
Allan D.Sim
post 4th Mar 2004, 01:01pm
Post #15

Super Resident
Member No.: 321
There was a saying in Glasgow, "you'll die facing the monument." It referred to the executions where the last thing the condemned person say was the Nelson's Monument on Glasgow Green. I cannot remember at moment if they took place at High Court or in Jail Square, but I think it was at High Court. sad.gif

+Quote Post

12 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.