Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uk General Election 2019
DannyH
post 26th Nov 2019, 10:43pm
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
I have decided to start a new topic because the Brexit and Scottish Independence topic prevents discussion on issues other than these two aforementioned, from being discussed.

Prior to submitting the first post to this new topic, I will start off by saying that I have never supported any political party during my lifetime. I am a ‘floating’ voter.

One of the reasons I have for starting this topic is the question of the anti Jewish statements attributed to some Labour Party members. I note the Chief Rabbi has come out telling his people not to vote for Labour.

I would like to know what exactly every Labour Party member accused of offensive language actually said regarding this issue.

I am not suggesting for a moment that there is nothing of concern to have been said by any of them. However, did any of them say anything which sympathised with the plight of the Palestinian people?
Does this Rabbi not realise that he has just handed the UK Islamic Community vote to Labour?

If my local Islamic newsagents view is that Jeremy Corbyn is a hero, then I rest my case.

Danny
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 26th Nov 2019, 10:53pm
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
The Rabbi knew that the Islamic vote has long been a given for Labour.

3 million moslems
280 thousand jews

+Quote Post
zascot
post 27th Nov 2019, 08:11am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
On the info i seen here the Rabbi did not say do not vote for labour he said what was wrong in his opinion with labour and did not give any directives to the Jewish voters.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 27th Nov 2019, 11:14am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (zascot @ 27th Nov 2019, 08:11am) *
On the info i seen here the Rabbi did not say do not vote for labour he said what was wrong in his opinion with labour and did not give any directives to the Jewish voters.

Hi Zascot

Fair comment from you.

In your response above, you rightly say that he said what was wrong in his opinion with Labour. Your comment could give the impression that he talked on a number of issues like Nationalising the rail network for example. However his speech was a criticism of the Labour leader’s lack of rooting out anti Jewish, Labour Party members.

He made quite a long speech, regarding what is going on in the Labour Party under Corbyn’s leadership regarding Jewish people. During his speech he said, “Not my place to tell any person how they should vote”, then went on to urge them “to vote with their conscience”.

To me that means don’t vote Labour, especially after reading other comments made during his speech.

I hope you don’t feel I am being confrontational with you. I don’t want to go down that road in this topic. I welcome the views of other contributors who can debate in a r reasoned manner.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
zascot
post 27th Nov 2019, 02:56pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 27th Nov 2019, 11:14am) *
Hi Zascot

Fair comment from you.

In your response above, you rightly say that he said what was wrong in his opinion with Labour. Your comment could give the impression that he talked on a number of issues like Nationalising the rail network for example. However his speech was a criticism of the Labour leader’s lack of rooting out anti Jewish, Labour Party members.

He made quite a long speech, regarding what is going on in the Labour Party under Corbyn’s leadership regarding Jewish people. During his speech he said, “Not my place to tell any person how they should vote”, then went on to urge them “to vote with their conscience”.

To me that means don’t vote Labour, especially after reading other comments made during his speech.

I hope you don’t feel I am being confrontational with you. I don’t want to go down that road in this topic. I welcome the views of other contributors who can debate in a r reasoned manner.

Regards

Danny

You agree that I am right in saying he did not tell the Jewish people to not vote Labour, which is a fact. I don`t know how that statement can give people any other impression. I can not agree that if he tells people to vote with their conscience that is instructing them not to vote Labour. You welcome the views of other contributors who can debate in a reasoned manner, does that mean agree with you. I don`t know why you started the thread if you don`t want correcting of your interpretation of statements nade.

--------------------

+Quote Post
wombat
post 27th Nov 2019, 05:44pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif your for it now laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 27th Nov 2019, 10:55pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (zascot @ 27th Nov 2019, 02:56pm) *
You agree that I am right in saying he did not tell the Jewish people to not vote Labour, which is a fact. I don`t know how that statement can give people any other impression. I can not agree that if he tells people to vote with their conscience that is instructing them not to vote Labour. You welcome the views of other contributors who can debate in a reasoned manner, does that mean agree with you. I don`t know why you started the thread if you don`t want correcting of your interpretation of statements nade.

Hello Zascot

I am genuinely sorry that you feel that my response to your post makes you feel that I only welcome the views of contributors who agree with me. I certainly do not want this topic which I started, to go the same way as the Scottish Independence and Brexit forums. I welcome the opinions of others, provided they are reasonable like yours is.

Perhaps I should have just said, that although the Chief Rabbi didn’t actually use the words, “Don’t vote Labour”, his tone and wording were equivalent to a ‘Wink Wink’ delivery. I also think the media coverage given to his speech would not have been given the prominence it received if it had not been seen as a direct criticism of the Labour Party, and an embarrassment to it.

Looks like I have got this topic off to a bad start. Sorry everyone!

Danny

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 28th Nov 2019, 07:52am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (DannyH @ 27th Nov 2019, 10:55pm) *
Hello Zascot

I am genuinely sorry that you feel that my response to your post makes you feel that I only welcome the views of contributors who agree with me. I certainly do not want this topic which I started, to go the same way as the Scottish Independence and Brexit forums. I welcome the opinions of others, provided they are reasonable like yours is.

Perhaps I should have just said, that although the Chief Rabbi didn’t actually use the words, “Don’t vote Labour”, his tone and wording were equivalent to a ‘Wink Wink’ delivery. I also think the media coverage given to his speech would not have been given the prominence it received if it had not been seen as a direct criticism of the Labour Party, and an embarrassment to it.

Looks like I have got this topic off to a bad start. Sorry everyone!

Danny

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 28th Nov 2019, 08:03am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
I am posting the following from the BBC news website, www.bbc.co.uk on 26 November 2019.

The quotation marks are the BBC’s, not mine.

Chief Rabbi is quoted as having claimed,

“The overwhelming majority of British Jews are gripped by anxiety” at the prospect of a Labour victory in 12 December’s general election,

Danny

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 28th Nov 2019, 12:11pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (DannyH @ 27th Nov 2019, 10:55pm) *
I certainly do not want this topic which I started, to go the same way as the Scottish Independence and Brexit forums.

And yet there is confrontation here already from the word go, and not one of the regular independence or Brexit contributors bar yourself involved.

I'll just leave that there with you Danny. wink.gif

+Quote Post
zascot
post 28th Nov 2019, 02:09pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry Danny but I only deal in facts not wink wink and hearsay otherwise I could find that the chief Rabbi meant anything I wanted.
I do not get involved imuch in the other topics as I left UK nearly 50 years ago and I am not affected as the people on the other threads.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Dykejumper
post 28th Nov 2019, 02:25pm
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,271
Would be nice to hear from the usual Labour big names not usually slow to appear on TV

Yvette Cooper, Hillary Benn, Liz Kendall, Stephen Kinnock, Lucy Powell, Darren Jones, Jess Phillips…and Ed Miliband.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 28th Nov 2019, 06:39pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (JAGZ1876 @ 28th Nov 2019, 12:11pm) *
And yet there is confrontation here already from the word go, and not one of the regular independence or Brexit contributors bar yourself involved.

I'll just leave that there with you Danny. ;)

Jagz, please don’t go down that road. There is no confrontation. Zascot was correct. The Rabbi didn’t utter the words I originally posted. What I should have done in my original post, was to post the BBC report regarding this issue of the Rabbi’s statements. I then could have followed that up by expanding my post to include what else the Rabbi had said. I could have and should have said that the Rabbi went on to say, following his very critical statements about Corbyn, that the Jewish electorate should use their conscience when voting. Hardly an endorsement of The Labour Party, I would suggest.

By the way, I think you will find Wombat has ‘contributed’ to this topic. So you see, you are just human like me. We both should be more careful what we write.

Danny

+Quote Post
wombat
post 28th Nov 2019, 07:41pm
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
[quote name='DannyH' post='3741373' date='28th Nov 2019, 06:39pm']Jagz, please don’t go down that road. There is no confrontation

rolleyes.gif c,mon danny any discussion on the worlds "religious elite"isconfrontational. laugh.gif

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
Kemedian
post 28th Nov 2019, 08:10pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,884

www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish
Tut, tut, tut.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 8th Dec 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.