Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

29 Pages V  « < 27 28 29  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Photies O' Oor Grannies, ...and other ancestors
Gallusbisom
post 11th Nov 2015, 03:22pm
Post #421

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 856
Today is Armistice Day, and the Sunrise Ceremony, here in the GTA area at Prospect Cemetery, indeed only a few feet from where HRH's grandfather is buried. He lost his leg at the Somme and then lost his other leg due to complications. It never held him back, he was feisty and a hard worker right to the end. I honour him as I honour his 4 sons who served and my 4 Uncles who went away to war, some were gone for 6 years. A couple fibbed about their age. We owe all of them so very, very much. Also HRH's Grandfather Mc D and HRH's Dad who also served and to say the least I honour both their mothers and their grandmothers. To have your husband and sons gone for so long with very, if any, communication would be horrendous. So here's to our all Family who served and to the Grannies that stayed home and worried. I will post some pics. of those strong women when I can.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kiltie2
post 11th Nov 2015, 06:53pm
Post #422

Resident
Member No.: 25,807
Hello Danny, I am a gid bit angry that this was said to you, given the offer, I always think that face to face these same people wouldn't open their mouths, but it's so easy to type these nasty words, but I'll bet, like myself Danny you would never argue with defenceless people:)
It's so obvious to see in your words the love and respect that all of you had for each other, a tough enough life back then and for those who didn't have your kind of family it must have been horrendous, and poor souls they were.
All the best
Kiltie

+Quote Post
petunia
post 11th Nov 2015, 07:23pm
Post #423

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,822
I bet some of those people stood with their heads bowed today , Armistice Day.

Danny I bet some of those people never even bothered going to a Remembrance Day service never mind bowing their heads. Thank you goes to your family and all men and women who have served and still serve to keep our countries.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 12th Nov 2015, 12:11am
Post #424

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Thank you folks for you kind replies; much appreciated.

I hope I haven't put a dampener on this topic.

I will be back with more photos, this time a few regarding my Mother's family.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 13th Jan 2016, 03:07pm
Post #425

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
My maternal grandfather, William Robertson. Born Slamannan, died Plains,Airdrie.
Attached Image

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
MacPean
post 14th Jun 2016, 06:53pm
Post #426

Visitor
Member No.: 6,527
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 30th Oct 2015, 11:09am) *
My Grannie Roseanne Coogan/McDaid standing next to one of her Aunties on the McDaid side of the family. I would think taken sometime in the early thirties.
Born in the Gorbals, she lived all her married life in the Garngad and Townhead.

[attachment=49396:11348846...854306_n.jpg]

I have McDaid family who came from Ireland, they lived in Garscube Road and Townhead. Do you have any information about your family you could share ? Ta J x

--------------------
Just waiting for my Hogwarts letter

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 14th Jun 2016, 07:37pm
Post #427

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (MacPean @ 14th Jun 2016, 08:53pm) *
I have McDaid family who came from Ireland, they lived in Garscube Road and Townhead. Do you have any information about your family you could share ? Ta J x

Cant help you too much with information about my Grannies side of the family MacPean. The McDaids as I said came from the Gorbals, she was born in Glasgow but I believe her parents were Irish. She married My Granda, Owen Coogan in Glasgow, he was born in Castleblainy in County Monaghan. I never knew her as she died when I was about two or three while my Granda died when I was eight.
My mother was one of those people who never spoke much about her family.
I have a cousin living in Belfast who has done a bit of research on the Irish side of the family. Perhaps I can ask her what she knows. The problem is I am the oldest left alive with a direct link to the history of the Glasgow side of the family and she has been asking me for information.

+Quote Post
wombat
post 14th Jun 2016, 08:47pm
Post #428

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
rolleyes.gif no fotie of mah granny. rolleyes.gif so
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 23rd Jul 2016, 05:39pm
Post #429

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Dave, were your grandparents married in Scotland or Ireland?

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
RonD
post 23rd Jul 2016, 07:57pm
Post #430

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Never mind, i see now.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post

29 Pages V  « < 27 28 29
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Jun 2018

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.