Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Barony Church, opposite the Cathedral
sumac
post 17th Oct 2006, 11:31am
Post #1

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I attended the Barony Church on the High Street, opposite the Cathedral. What a magnificent church it was! It was an annexe (many years ago) of the Cathedral and that is why it is so ornate. Our minister in the 50s and 60s was Roy Sanderson and he was a great minister.
I also belonged to the Salvation Army for many years, first in Stirling Road, Townhead, then in Anderston. When I was a wee toddler, the Captain of Townhead Sally Army used to come to our flat and carry me down to it. I don't know what age I was, but Mum was in hospital having my sister or brother at the time. I really wanted to become a Captain when I grew up - I don't know what stopped me!
Anyway, the Barony Church now belongs to the University of Strathclyde. My son sat his exams there and I finally got to see inside again when he graduated there. I was in Seventh Heaven (sorry!) just sitting, looking around me and remembering my childhood days there. smile.gif

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lianmy
post 22nd Oct 2006, 01:36am
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 103
Sumac I was never in the church there, but I did join the Girl Guides they use to meet in the hall next to the church. I use to go with Wilma McDonald who I believe went to school with you.

Had a great time until they asked me to leave when they discovered I was a catholic.

+Quote Post
Avril
post 27th Oct 2006, 12:58am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,509
Awe, wee smasher, that's a terrible thing tae dae tae a we'an!!!!

I don't quite know how the protestant/catholic differences stand now in Glasgow but I remember back in the 60's a mixed marriage was a protestant and catholic...how ridulous was that????

I love Glasgow and I am a Glaswegian through and through but the one thing I liked when I moved to London in 1971 was that no-one cared what religion you were, what school you attended or what team you supported, they were your friend no matter what religion you were (or weren't)

My kids spouses are different faiths...as long as they are happy, that's all that matters to me!:D

--------------------
BOOKS..What's For Ye, Won't Go By Ye/Chasin' that Carrot/Mammograms Save Lives/Time Makes Changes/Treachery and Triumph...TV DRAMA..Broken Promises ...website www.avrilsaunders.co.uk

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 28th Oct 2006, 02:28am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Sumac, One of my uncles was an elder in the Barony church for many years during the time you are talking about.His name was Jimmy Bell. He had one daughter called Anne. Perhaps you knew them.I lived with them for about a year when I was ten. I am catholic but they used to take me to the Barony most Sundays. I always found it very cold inside. Don't think anyone minded the fact that I was catholic.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
sumac
post 2nd Nov 2006, 08:44pm
Post #5

Super Lord Provost
weesmasher, I remember Wilma MacDonald! I went to the Brownies in the Barony Hall, too. So did my big sister, Sadie. Isn't it a small world - despite the miles between us? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 20th Nov 2006, 04:37am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
biggrin.gif Sunday rituals fur us weans was tae eat brekki get dads paper then git shipped oot o there tae the salvation Army across frae Elmvale primerary school on same side as the police station.

Ma pals (catholic) would come wi me & then a widd go tae their chapel oan ?Hillkirk st? a think it was,oan sunday efter tea we di the roons again only it changed tae nearer hame. we went tae colston wellparks uniting church then run awe thae way tae the chapel at back o balgrayhill a mind it was facing a side entrance tae springburn park ? Broomfield rd or st up past a wee castle type building,which is owned & lived in still today.

Tuesdays wis oor brownies day & Friday we went tae girlguides when we got older,cripes! as oor catherine wouldve said. We ought to have found holyness oot o awe that surely. laugh.gif

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
allypally
post 20th Nov 2006, 02:35pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,951
My primary ( Townhead) and secondary ( City Public ) both used the Barony for church services so i remember it well also i was in the 49th BB which was the Cathedral company but we used the barony hall for our drill meetings my sister was married in the north barony across the square from the barony I occasionally have a wander round the area when i am in town it has changed a bit but not greatly also when we were kids we played in the Provands Lordship and were told all kinds of ghost stories by the old woman who looked after the building so often when walking back down to my house at 51 High st i would think the bogie man would get me as i passed the church.
days gone by

+Quote Post
sumac
post 23rd Nov 2006, 11:06pm
Post #8

Super Lord Provost
Allypally, I used to play in Provands Lordship too. It was called Mary Queen of Scots House, and we had to pay 1d to get in. I loved it, as I had a fascination for all things Mary Q. o. S. Do you remember when Provands Lordship was broken into and all the ancient furniture and artefacts were stolen? I think it was in the 60s, and I was shocked to hear of it. I've been back a few times with the kids but it is an empty place, compared with the Old Days.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Aintree Girl
post 7th Jun 2009, 12:16pm
Post #9

Settling In
Member No.: 6,999
An ancestor lived in Barony in 1841--Franklin Street--also one lived in Barony in 1802.
Where is Barony please in Glasgow? Does anybody know if Franklin Street is still there? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 7th Jun 2009, 04:16pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
I don't believe there is a place called Barony I just remember the old Barony church.It was situated in the Townhead.Hang in there ,no doubt there will be someone here who will be able to give you more details.

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Aintree Girl
post 7th Jun 2009, 06:13pm
Post #11

Settling In
Member No.: 6,999
Thanks Isobel. I wonder if the Barony referred to meant the parish rather than the "suburb". On the English census returns it gives ecclesiastical parish and civil ones.
I'll do as you suggest & keep watching replies--also will re check the census returns smile.gif

+Quote Post
kitnian
post 1st Jun 2011, 01:10pm
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 10,822
QUOTE (sumac @ 17th Oct 2006, 11:39am) *
I attended the Barony Church on the High Street, opposite the Cathedral. What a magnificent church it was! It was an annexe (many years ago) of the Cathedral and that is why it is so ornate. Our minister in the 50s and 60s was Roy Sanderson and he was a great minister.
I also belonged to the Salvation Army for many years, first in Stirling Road, Townhead, then in Anderston. When I was a wee toddler, the Captain of Townhead Sally Army used to come to our flat and carry me down to it. I don't know what age I was, but Mum was in hospital having my sister or brother at the time. I really wanted to become a Captain when I grew up - I don't know what stopped me!
Anyway, the Barony Church now belongs to the University of Strathclyde. My son sat his exams there and I finally got to see inside again when he graduated there. I was in Seventh Heaven (sorry!) just sitting, looking around me and remembering my childhood days there. smile.gif

I too was christened at the Barony Church I also attended the salvation army my aunt was Major Mary Williamson the hall was at the bottom of Glebe Street cant remember the name do you think it was the same one

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 2nd Jun 2011, 07:04am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (weesmasher @ 22nd Oct 2006, 11:44am) *
Sumac I was never in the church there, but I did join the Girl Guides they use to meet in the hall next to the church. I use to go with Wilma McDonald who I believe went to school with you.

Had a great time until they asked me to leave when they discovered I was a catholic.

Funny thing about that. When I inadvertantly strayed intae the arms of the proddys they always tried to make me feel at home and keep / convert? me. unsure.gif

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 2nd Jun 2011, 10:13am
Post #14

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,122
Wiz that the wan, wae the big sword oan the cross ?

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 2nd Jun 2011, 11:00am
Post #15

Super Lord Provost
smile.gifHi, kitniain!
I wonder if it was your aunt who used to take me down to the Sally Ann?
Do you know, the coincidences between us are spooky - your username is the same as my two children's! They are Kitty (Kirsty) and Iain!!! I wonder if we knew each other then? I went to St David's Primary from 1958 till 1965.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.