Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Firhill
Rating 5 V
possilboy
post 22nd Nov 2008, 12:20am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
hi john watson here iwas a jags man since iwas a wee boy i remember walking from possil over the coup at the back of firhill every sat rain hail and snow which was most of the time used to stand at ruchill end andy kerr dave mcparland were my heroes then george smith big john fairbairn goalie i think he came after billy ritchie ex rangers iam missing the pies and bovril cheers john possil sight
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 22nd Nov 2008, 02:57am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
Great reading of the memories of Firhill and the area Andy and Bob Mac Donald.

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 22nd Nov 2008, 05:59am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Firhill was my Saturday afternoon entertainment until I was about 10...used to go with my g/dad who was mad about PT...think he had shares in them lol!.Used to get so embarrassed at school on Mondays when we talked about football or rugby...my m8s were either at Parkhead or Ibrox or on good weekends in the winter Murrayfield.....eh I was at Firhill and that was met by hysterical laughter....remember I was at school 5 min away from the stadium.Used to get embarrassed by it but now I think I understand why he loved them so much... was so proud to call himself a Thistle fan.he was proud of the ethics..no religious bias or bigotry,he taught me that if you really wanted to enjoy football then it should never be tainted by religion...have never forgotten that and today I cannot pass Firhill without remembering what he taught me....not been along to a game in ages and a suddenly have the urge to go along...gonna ask my dad if he fancies going some Saturday....

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
rossmckenzie
post 22nd Nov 2008, 02:36pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 849
Thistle are playing Livingston at home this afternoon so am gonna go along and watch.Last time I was in the stadium was for a Warriors game...Firhill is home to Glasgow rugby.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Abair ach beagan is abair gu math e

+Quote Post
andypisces
post 22nd Nov 2008, 05:40pm
Post #20

City Key Holder
Member No.: 21
Aye Ross you picked a good day to go to firhill. A nice 2 _ 1 win. You were luckier than i was.I was over this fall and duriong the time i was there they played four games. They won on lost two and tied one. I got to see three of those games. Nae prizes for knowing the game i didnt see Yep you are right if you said the one they won. That is life as a jags fan sad.gif ......Andra

+Quote Post
marina
post 26th Feb 2009, 12:18am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,137
shortly after my mum had me we moved from whitelaw st to firhill st that would have been 1971ish

--------------------
Slāinte mhor a h-uile lā a chi 's nach fhaic

+Quote Post
Venus
post 17th Jul 2009, 10:26am
Post #22

Resident
Member No.: 6,952
Ive added a few pics of Garscube Raod/Firhill Road/Hinshaw Street junction taken 2008.
Im sure visitors and members from the area will see big changes.

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 1st Sep 2009, 11:33am
Post #23

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 4,097
Venus,

I would love to see the photos of Garscube Road. Hinshaw Street, etc. I lived at 43 Hinshaw Street from birth (1942) till 1955, when the family moved to Cadder. My Dad was a Rangers fan and we all ended up supporting them as well but I've lots of happy memories of Firhill Park, also Ruchill Park. How can I find the photos?

It was very interesting to see that the stadium is also home to the Glasgow rugby team. Being a real kiwi now, I am rugby-mad - our local team, based in Christchurch (and very often the NZ champions) are Canterbury in the National Competition and the Crusaders in the Super 14s.

Cheers,
Betty

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Venus
post 1st Sep 2009, 04:14pm
Post #24

Resident
Kiwi lass I had trouble uploading but for you I will do my best.Was number 43 the close between Maltbarns Street and Doncaster street or between Doncaster Street and Maryhill Road?

+Quote Post
Venus
post 1st Sep 2009, 04:32pm
Post #25

Resident
Betty,the reason i cannot upload is the files are too big.My email is aobrien21@gmail.com if you wish I will send pics direct.OK?

+Quote Post
glezgaman
post 16th Nov 2009, 02:43pm
Post #26

Settling In
Member No.: 1,979
QUOTE (robertfmcdonald@yahoo.co.uk @ 1st Feb 2008, 04:05pm) *
Hi Andra
I hung out at Jaconelli's 1940/50s - You have stolen my comments --nearly everything you list I would repeated Word for word - Known as CORRY (now 78 maybe just a wee bit older than you)
good friend of Mario Jaconnelli - stayed beside the pawnshop in Garscube Road -nicked Pies from the VC Pie factory - played football in there yard -nearly all the PT football players went dancing in the St Andrew's Halls on a Saturday night. happy memories - keep going back to look around & dream _Cheers Bob Mc Donald

hi Bob did you live at 776 garscube rd. if you did you'd know all my wife jean's family. the Adairs you'd be about the same age as james adair, who lives over here in perth wa, also dave adair.
Jean sends her regards
Hughie Gourlay

--------------------
jist gon tae see a man aboot a dug

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 16th Nov 2009, 03:57pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Hughie Goulay,
Hi Hughie, could you log on to the Eventimes and check out the local website for Maryhill where I have posted a photograph taken mid 50s of the ladies from the whist club.I hope you might be able to recognise a few of them.
Cheers

+Quote Post
AKENU
post 23rd Nov 2009, 06:42pm
Post #28

Super Resident
Member No.: 7,662
Hi all,I never came from firhill but knew it well,I stayed just along the road in stronend st possil,the following photos may interest someone.................

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
AKENU
post 23rd Nov 2009, 06:43pm
Post #29

Super Resident
Member No.: 7,662
old wooden bridge firhill rd.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 23rd Nov 2009, 06:44pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Lovely Photo , I know that area , MY aunty Betty lived in North park St , smile.gif

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd Aug 2015

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.