Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Port Dundas, Stinky Ocean, Jack's Mountain
*Dan*
post 19th Nov 2007, 12:27am
Post #1

Im working on a project looking at the history of Port Dundas and its surrounding areas. I've come across the 'Stinky Ocean' and 'Jacks Mountain' but have found very little about them. I was wondering whether anyone has any memories or stories of how Port Dundas used to be, what used to be there etc, and whether any of you know anything of the 'mountain and ocean'. I understand them to be linked to some kind of chemical plant but I might be wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BigArturo1
post 20th Nov 2007, 11:33am
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 4,755
Dan,

As a boy in the 1950's, I used to play around the Stinky Ocean and Jack's Mountain. From memory (around 50 years ago), the Stinky Ocean was a chemical effluent dump beside Pinkston Road and bordered by the railway line that ran into the old Buchanan Street station. I presume this toxic pool was the chemical residue of the nearby Tennents chemical works which took up all the land north of the Monkland canal towards the aforementioned railway line. It was a major employer in the area and no doubt a major polluter also, but dumping toxic effluent was not an issue in those days. I remember my granny giving us a rollicking when we arrived home smelling of rotten eggs which betrayed where we had been playing that day. She called the Stinky Ocean the Salt Waste so it must have been around at the beginning of the 20th century as well.

I remember a block of tenements on Pinkston Road nearby the Stinky Ocean and the smell must have been horrendous, especially in summer, to actually live there.

Jack's Mountain was beside the Stinky Ocean on the north side and ran down to the edge of the pool. I remember climbing the "mountain", maybe a hundreed feet high and it was used as a dumping ground by many of the local shops who fly-tipped there. I remember the swarms of bluebottles who feasted on animal parts dumped on the mountain by local butchers, real Third World conditions in the heart of Glasgow.

Jack's mountain was eventually levelled when the chemical works closed and the Stinky Ocean was allegedly drained and filled in. I say "allegedly" because you can still smell the rotten eggs odour when you travel down the hill into Queen Street station on a hot summer's day. The whole chemical works site was flattened and the Sighthill flats built on top but the occasional smell betrays the land-scrape that should have removed the polluted earth did not dig deep enough if it still smells to this day.

Looking back, I'm amazed as kids we never caught any serious diseases from the site as we played there regularly along with most of the children from the Garngad, Townhead and Springburn areas.

Regarding Port Dundas, I have another posting under "Garngad Memories" which details a trip we made as 7 or 8 year olds and managed to get across the canal into the Pinkston power station and crawled through what we thought were tunnels but were actually the discharge pipes for the boiling water in the cooling towers above. It was only when across the canal later that we saw gallons of boiling water foaming out of the very pipes we had been playing in earlier.

+Quote Post
Mahegradon
post 20th Nov 2007, 07:03pm
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 4,827
Speaking of animal parts, remember the 'Slaughter House' on Pinkston Road, just beside the railway bridge. I can remember the old cart horses being led down the path, unaware of what lay beyond the gate. That was another memorable smell! And if the wind was blowing the right (or wrong?) direction - unforgettable!

+Quote Post
*june buntain*
post 22nd Jul 2010, 05:45pm
Post #4

QUOTE (BigArturo1 @ 20th Nov 2007, 12:43pm) *
Dan,

As a boy in the 1950's, I used to play around the Stinky Ocean and Jack's Mountain. From memory (around 50 years ago), the Stinky Ocean was a chemical effluent dump beside Pinkston Road and bordered by the railway line that ran into the old Buchanan Street station. I presume this toxic pool was the chemical residue of the nearby Tennents chemical works which took up all the land north of the Monkland canal towards the aforementioned railway line. It was a major employer in the area and no doubt a major polluter also, but dumping toxic effluent was not an issue in those days. I remember my granny giving us a rollicking when we arrived home smelling of rotten eggs which betrayed where we had been playing that day. She called the Stinky Ocean the Salt Waste so it must have been around at the beginning of the 20th century as well.

I remember a block of tenements on Pinkston Road nearby the Stinky Ocean and the smell must have been horrendous, especially in summer, to actually live there.

Jack's Mountain was beside the Stinky Ocean on the north side and ran down to the edge of the pool. I remember climbing the "mountain", maybe a hundreed feet high and it was used as a dumping ground by many of the local shops who fly-tipped there. I remember the swarms of bluebottles who feasted on animal parts dumped on the mountain by local butchers, real Third World conditions in the heart of Glasgow.

Jack's mountain was eventually levelled when the chemical works closed and the Stinky Ocean was allegedly drained and filled in. I say "allegedly" because you can still smell the rotten eggs odour when you travel down the hill into Queen Street station on a hot summer's day. The whole chemical works site was flattened and the Sighthill flats built on top but the occasional smell betrays the land-scrape that should have removed the polluted earth did not dig deep enough if it still smells to this day.

Looking back, I'm amazed as kids we never caught any serious diseases from the site as we played there regularly along with most of the children from the Garngad, Townhead and Springburn areas.

Regarding Port Dundas, I have another posting under "Garngad Memories" which details a trip we made as 7 or 8 year olds and managed to get across the canal into the Pinkston power station and crawled through what we thought were tunnels but were actually the discharge pipes for the boiling water in the cooling towers above. It was only when across the canal later that we saw gallons of boiling water foaming out of the very pipes we had been playing in earlier.

I played along Pinkston Road as a little girl from around 1955-60. I was not allowed to do so and would get into real trouble if caught. One day whilst coming home from Keppochhill Primary school a man exposed himself to me and several friends. My dad worked in the Pinkston Works (don't know what kind of works) and he went out to chase after the man who wasn't caught. We were all given a good talking to about going home from school by Pinkston Road route and didn't go there again. I remember being told about Jack's Mountain and that the devil lived there. I never went near the place but I am sure my brothers did. I agree that it is amazing that we kids in those days didn't pick up some awful disease. I also remember playing in bomb shelters where rats had been feeding probably whilst we were playing, it was so dark inside them and they also smelled awful. Another memory from those days is the fire that happened in the whisky bond and next door to the sawmills between Port Dundas and Springburn. We awoke one morning and the sky was orange. When we went to school we were required to jump over the huge water hoses of the fire engines and thought it was great fun. Imagine our amazement in later years to find out just how much danger we actually were in. If the sawmill had caught fire we would have been trapped as the sawmill and whisky bond surrounded our streets, Eagle Street and Borron Street. Anyone else remember the fire???

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Dec 2010, 10:18am
Post #5

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Mahegradon @ 20th Nov 2007, 06:41pm) *
Speaking of animal parts, remember the 'Slaughter House' on Pinkston Road, just beside the railway bridge. I can remember the old cart horses being led down the path, unaware of what lay beyond the gate. That was another memorable smell! And if the wind was blowing the right (or wrong?) direction - unforgettable!

I remember the slaughter house near jacks mountain I got sent for meat for the dog.

johnjack

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 11th Dec 2010, 12:35pm
Post #6

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,742
QUOTE (june buntain @ 22nd Jul 2010, 01:23pm) *
I played along Pinkston Road as a little girl from around 1955-60. I was not allowed to do so and would get into real trouble if caught. One day whilst coming home from Keppochhill Primary school a man exposed himself to me and several friends. My dad worked in the Pinkston Works (don't know what kind of works) and he went out to chase after the man who wasn't caught. We were all given a good talking to about going home from school by Pinkston Road route and didn't go there again. I remember being told about Jack's Mountain and that the devil lived there. I never went near the place but I am sure my brothers did. I agree that it is amazing that we kids in those days didn't pick up some awful disease. I also remember playing in bomb shelters where rats had been feeding probably whilst we were playing, it was so dark inside them and they also smelled awful. Another memory from those days is the fire that happened in the whisky bond and next door to the sawmills between Port Dundas and Springburn. We awoke one morning and the sky was orange. When we went to school we were required to jump over the huge water hoses of the fire engines and thought it was great fun. Imagine our amazement in later years to find out just how much danger we actually were in. If the sawmill had caught fire we would have been trapped as the sawmill and whisky bond surrounded our streets, Eagle Street and Borron Street. Anyone else remember the fire???

I remember Brownlees Sawmill going up in flames quite a few times, I lived on Keppochhill Road at the top of Pinkston Road and went to Keppochhill Primary, left there to go to Possil Jun Sec. in 1963.
Anyhow, Jack's Mountian was a favourite place for me and my pals to play, and yes there were a few perverts running around there too.One in particular was named Rab the W****r, He is probably long gone, it was almost 50 years ago. I used to work part time as teen in Huggies slaughter house. My mistake was getting to friendly with the horses waiting to be slaughtered.The old guy who did the killing would send me up to Hamiltons dairy for his lunchtime sandwich, by the time l got back he would have done the business. There used to be all sorts of rumours about the Stinky Ocean, l even heard it said that a whole train came off the tracks there and sank!!. Hey June Buntain, l bet you know a lot of the same people from Eagle and Borron streets that l knew, the time period is about the same.
Foxy

+Quote Post
flam
post 11th Dec 2010, 12:49pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Foxy52 and All..I believe that Huggies was called Walter Hodgkinson,I used to watch the horses being slaughtered,they used a metal thing that the put at the horses head and then hammered it the bolt or whatever it was either killed it or knocked it unconscious,it would fall with a clatter,and within seconds the slaughtermen had disembowed it with their razor sharp instruments (I hope no one is having lunch while reading this ) , it was right across from Pinkston Power Station,and the road up by the power station ,took you to Fleming Steel Co or something similar,and then we swam in the canal at the discharge pipes as someone mentioned on this siteThe stinky ocean was also called "The Soda Waste" which came from Tennants Chemical Works as others have mentioned..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 11th Dec 2010, 02:04pm
Post #8

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (flam @ 11th Dec 2010, 08:27am) *
Hi Foxy52 and All..I believe that Huggies was called Walter Hodgkinson,I used to watch the horses being slaughtered,they used a metal thing that the put at the horses head and then hammered it the bolt or whatever it was either killed it or knocked it unconscious,it would fall with a clatter,and within seconds the slaughtermen had disembowed it with their razor sharp instruments (I hope no one is having lunch while reading this ) , it was right across from Pinkston Power Station,and the road up by the power station ,took you to Fleming Steel Co or something similar,and then we swam in the canal at the discharge pipes as someone mentioned on this siteThe stinky ocean was also called "The Soda Waste" which came from Tennants Chemical Works as others have mentioned..Cheers Flim

Hi Flam, You are right as usual, Fleming Steel Co, l could see that from my kitchen window, they had all the steam powered cranes that ran on railway lines. Above Flemings was some kind of ventilation shaft for the tunnel that ran from Buchanan St. Station, that line ran past the Stinky Ocean. I seem to remember we called the shaft "The Cup and Saucer", because of the shape and the sleeper fence around it.
Foxy

+Quote Post
flam
post 11th Dec 2010, 04:27pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Foxy52 and All..Here is a picture of where Pinkston Power Station used to be, and as you will probably know ,that it was camouflaged, can you see the twin pipes dont know if they are the discharge or intake ?

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 11th Dec 2010, 04:50pm
Post #10

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (flam @ 11th Dec 2010, 12:05pm) *
Hi Foxy52 and All..Here is a picture of where Pinkston Power Station used to be, and as you will probably know ,that it was camouflaged, can you see the twin pipes dont know if they are the discharge or intake ?

Hi again Flam, l can't believe that is where the power station stood. I can just make out the pipes. What a mess, Yes l do remember the camouflage paint job, can you remember on New Years Eve, when the bells sounded the power station would have a searchlight rotate it's beam in the sky? Nothing like that over here, we just go out at midnight and fire off our guns........lol.
Foxy

+Quote Post
flam
post 11th Dec 2010, 07:24pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Foxy52 ..The photo shows the canal water level at Pinkston being lowered, as they where construcing a new Lock and Chamber, approximately where the old Ann Street Bascule Bridge (Wooden ) used to be, the Lock was opened by Michael Martin the sacked speaker of the house of commons,it was built to let in vessels to Pinkston and the wharfs, but due to a cock-up on owning rights it has never been used
Foxy52 There used to be a lady on this site and on Glescapals who must have either lived up your close or the next one to it,I think she goes under the Nom-De-Plume of Magsos on this site (I hope I am not mistaken on both these accounts) and Margaretcr on Glescapals, see if you recognise this photo

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Foxy52
post 11th Dec 2010, 08:04pm
Post #12

Super Lord Provost
QUOTE (flam @ 11th Dec 2010, 03:02pm) *
Hi Foxy52 ..The photo shows the canal water level at Pinkston being lowered, as they where construcing a new Lock and Chamber, approximately where the old Ann Street Bascule Bridge (Wooden ) used to be, the Lock was opened by Michael Martin the sacked speaker of the house of commons,it was built to let in vessels to Pinkston and the wharfs, but due to a cock-up on owning rights it has never been used
Foxy52 There used to be a lady on this site and on Glescapals who must have either lived up your close or the next one to it,I think she goes under the Nom-De-Plume of Magsos on this site (I hope I am not mistaken on both these accounts) and Margaretcr on Glescapals, see if you recognise this photo

Lot of changes there Flam, do you remember that on the canal bank right around the White Horse Distillery, there used to be a couple of landing craft l think left over from the war? We used to play on those.
I replied to Magsos a couple of weeks ago, she lived in the close above Bensons. I have'nt heard back from her, hope she's OK. l lived a couple of closes east of Pinkston Road. 2nd close from Aitkens. You posted a picture of the doors of Aitkens for me a week or so ago, it looks like in the photo the doors were metal roll-up type. When l went sliding into them they were wooden. By the way, do you remember when Aitkens went up in flames? that would be in 1962. I remember the date because it was ME that caused the fire. I was with my younger brother and some pals, playing in the coup, we decided to scrape some tar off the side of the building where they had the fuel pump on the side of the building. Anyhow, we would scrape the tar there to put on the end of sticks to make torches. Well, l lit mine to soon, Whoosh, up she goes!!!!
I was 8 years old, was taken down to Maitland St. nick, and got a severe telling off from the head cop. I can still remember the amount of damage, 62 ,000 pounds. The other thing l remember about that is getting my ass kicked from every adult male in the area, no beer distribution for a few days because of that.
Foxy

+Quote Post
flam
post 12th Dec 2010, 12:13am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Foxy52 .Great tale ,my God 62,000 and I liked the bit about your Erse getting kicked because of the shortage of beer ,I left Lyall St around 1952 to go to the Garngad for a year then up to Possil around 1953 so I cant remember the blaze, you will remember the wee Scamells that used to park in Pinkston Road . Coxhill Street just before the railway bridge and the Coal ree , I think the coal merchant was it McKechnies along with different coal merchants.. Theres a guy who started one about Lyall St and since I am not that good with computers, I thought I would PM him, but I believe it is somewhere in cyber-space, I prefer them coming on to the site itself ,his Nom-De-Plume was Johnjack..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
*andy wilson*
post 14th Dec 2010, 01:55am
Post #14

Aye I remember playin on Jacks mountain and the Stinky ocean-used to get a tankin from my Maw for coming home covered in grey "clabber" from it!-the Stinky ocean was actually Sulphur dioxide sludge from the Tennants works-pretty neutral and inert-unless you ate it!-I still can't believe the Corporation built houses on it!-where did they get rid of all the chemical waste?-still smell it on Pinkston rd at a wee inshot on the left hand side-and that's after 50 odd years!-I remember Pinkston sidings being full of old steam engines when they were getting rid of the old locos-a weans heaven playing on them!-watched the scrappy men cutting them up with torches-and also they burned the bodies of the old tramcars there as well when they got rid of them -

+Quote Post
*annmariesanders70@*
post 29th Mar 2012, 07:44pm
Post #15

QUOTE (Mahegradon @ 20th Nov 2007, 07:08pm) *

i used to live in eagle st was born and bred there ann marie sanders i remember all the places mentioned does anyone remember the helter skelter this would be in the sixties they used to come from all over to play on it we all made our own fun in those days graet memories.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.