Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scrooge Bus Bosses Cancel Christmas, Services cut back as profits treble
*Queefsoup*
post 1st Jan 2011, 03:08pm
Post #76

Run this past me ... so our public transport is actually private transport?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 1st Jan 2011, 10:20pm
Post #77

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Yes, Queefsoup??, the buses in the public transport system used by the people of Glasgow are mainly provided by a private company. Last year the chairman of that private company (FirstGroup plc) earned (from his various commitments) in excess of £4million. I thought about that today as I saw a young family waiting for a bus that would never come. I gave them the bad news!

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Jan 2011, 12:35pm
Post #78

Administrator
Group Icon
First Group, whose pre-tax profits rocketed rom £28.6m to £82m in the six months to September 30th 2010, have announced a huge list of service cutbacks in the greater Glasgow area.

Services affected (from 16th January 2011) include a vital bus link used by relatives visiting hospital patients:
  • 3 City Centre-Stobhill Hospital. The 6.30pm journey leaving Glasgow city centre and 7.20pm and 8.20pm leaving Stobhill Hospital will be withdrawn.
  • 5 St Enoch Centre-Castlemilk. Sundays revised timetable.
  • 6 Silverburn-Johnstone, section of route between Paisley town centre and Johnstone withdrawn.
  • 9 Drumchapel-Linwood, revised evening timetable.
  • 11 Robroyston-Parkhall, revised timetable.
  • 12 Robroyston-Rutherglen, slightly revised evening timetable. Some late evening journeys withdrawn.
  • 16 and 18 Buchanan Bus Station-East Kilbride. combined to operate as one service.
  • 16 Blairdardie-East Kilbride, revised timetable.
  • 17 Govan-Paisley, frequency revised from 30 to 60 mins.
  • N18 will be renumbered N16.
  • 19 Easterhouse-City Centre, revised evening timetable.
  • 20 Drumchapel-East Kilbride, route revised.
  • 27A and 27B Glasgow-Kilsyth or Twechar, 27B will be renumbered 27A and revised to operate between Bishopbriggs Retail Park and Buchanan Bus Station. Service 27B will be partly replaced by new service 84 between Kirkintilloch and Twechar.
  • 29 Mansewood and Shawlands, frequency revised from 30 to 60mins.
  • 31, 31C, 31G and 431 Milton-East Kilbride, 31 revised to operate between Milton and East Kilbride Bus Station.
  • 32 Craigend-Parkhead, frequency revised from 30 to 60mins.
  • 33 Parkhead-Craigend, revised to operate between Parkhead and Easterhouse centre.
  • 36,36A Glasgow-Chryston/Abronhill, after 7pm frequency revised to operate every 60mins. New evening service X3 will replace the 36 in Moodiesburn and Westfield.
  • 39/39A Easterhouse-city centre, revised as 39 between Queenslie, Blairtummock Road and Carntyne Square. Alternative service 33 available between Cranhill and Easterhouse.
  • 43 Craigend-city centre, evening service withdrawn after 7pm.
  • 45A Auchinairn-Govan, Sunday timetable withdrawn.
  • 53 City Centre-Silverburn, route revised.
  • 54 Summerston-Penilee / Braehead, slightly revised evening and Sunday timetable.
  • 54C Buchanan Bus Station-Braehead, timetable revised.
  • 56/56A/57/57A Auchinairn-Darnley-city centre, each evening between 6.30pm and 9pm one additional journey per hour that currently operates as service 56/57 will be revised to operate as service 56A/ 57A to replace withdrawn service 45A journeys.
  • 59 Mosspark-City Centre, revised timetable.
  • 61 Summerston-Sandyhills, slightly revised evening timetable.
  • 64 City centre-Carmyle/Halfway, Monday to Saturday after 7pm and all Sunday journeys will be withdrawn. Alternative services available between Tollcross and city centre on services 61, 240 and 255.
  • 65, 65A St Enoch Centre-Cairn/Drumsagard, additional early morning and early evening journeys introduced.
  • 75 Milton-Castlemilk, Monday to Saturday early evening timetable slightly revised.
  • 84 Kirkintilloch-Twechar New service, replaces 27B between Kirkintilloch, Cowgate and Twechar.
  • 89/90 Inner Circle, revised Sunday timetable
  • 118 Glasgow-Duntocher, revised timetable.
  • 119 Glasgow-Baljaffray, after around 7pm will be revised to operate every 60mins.
  • 120 East Kilbride-South Lanarkshire College, lunchtime journeys withdrawn.
  • 147 Silverburn-Braehead, service withdrawn.
  • 165 City centre-Cairns, service withdrawn.
  • 189 Govan-Drumoyne, frequency revised to operate every 15mins.
  • 225 Hamilton-Fairhill, revised route.
  • 226 Hamilton-Little Earnock, revised.
  • 229 Hamilton-Eddlewood, revised timetable.
  • 230 Hamilton-Coatshill, withdrawn.
  • 231 Hamilton-Lanark, withdrawn.
  • 240 Glasgow-Pather/Overtown/Lanark, revised timetable.
  • 255 Glasgow-Newarthill, revised timetable.
  • 267 Glasgow-Newmains/Shotts, revised.
  • 308 Parkhead-Cambuslang / Halfway, Sunday service will be introduced to partially replace service 64 between Parkhead, Carmyle and Halfway.
  • 747 Glasgow-Glasgow Airport, Monday to Saturday daytime buses will operate up to 5mins earlier between Glasgow Airport and Braehead.
  • A40 Baljaffray-Glasgow, withdrawn.
  • X2 Cumbernauld-Glasgow, withdrawn.
  • FX3,X3, X3A Abronhill-Glasgow, two morning and two afternoon peak journeys extend to Balloch to replace service X2.
  • X4/X5 Abronhill-Glasgow, evening journeys on service X4 withdrawn and replaced by X3.
  • X6 Glasgow-Bridge of Weir, withdrawn.
  • X11 Glasgow-Newmains / Cleland, revised timetable.
GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 11th Jan 2011, 08:18am
Post #79

Administrator
Group Icon
Green MSP Patrick Harvie has lodged a motion at Holyrood calling on First Group to reconsider its recently-announced service cutbacks. Commenting on the motion and the cutbacks, Mr Harvie said:

"Glaswegians are tired of hearing nothing but bad news about public transport in this city.

These latest service cancellations come on top of repeated First bus fare increases over the last few years. First must reconsider these damaging plans, especially its decision to axe the evening service to Stobhill Hospital.

But the underlying problem is not just down to decisions made by individual companies.

If particular bus routes need greater subsidy to ensure excellent service for everyone, not just those who live near the busiest routes, then that is what Government should provide.

When economic times are tough that we need to think hard about our priorities as a society."

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Melody
post 11th Jan 2011, 08:36am
Post #80

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Thanks for posting that information on the changes to bus routes Martin. It will cause a lot of disruption to commuters trying to get to work.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Jan 2011, 10:08am
Post #81

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (GG @ 1st Jan 2011, 10:58pm) *
Yes, Queefsoup??, the buses in the public transport system used by the people of Glasgow are mainly provided by a private company.

GG.

The deregulation of buses is yet another legacy of the Thatcher government, only the profitable routes survive unless there is a subsidy available. This meant rural routes got cut so I'm guessing more people have had to rely on cars to get about. More cars on the road, I think you can work out what that has meant.

I gave up using my car 10 years ago and used public transport to get about Glasgow for work reasons, mainly Firstbus. To be fair the services were pretty good, occasional problems with buses either not stopping or driver who would only allow about a half dozen standing. The adjustments to the routes and timetable are an annual occurrance, also changes to bus stops with little notice. Eventually I got fed up with the constant changes and went back to using my car again. There is an odd occasion I use the bus to get into town in the evening and a half hour wait is not unusual.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 11th Jan 2011, 10:24am
Post #82

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I am " amused" by your reference to only 6 allowed standing on buses. Many years ago, I did a summer stint as conductor on GCT buses and either 6 or 8 was the permissible amount of standing passengers. Nowadays the buses seem to have gone over to the continental system of more standing than seated.

Can anyone explain to me why standing passengers are allowed on buses, or even trains, as this seems like a recipe for disaster , even in a minor collision. It seems like madness, when we have so many safety regulations for our private cars.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
angel
post 11th Jan 2011, 02:57pm
Post #83

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Jan 2011, 09:02am) *
I am " amused" by your reference to only 6 allowed standing on buses. Many years ago, I did a summer stint as conductor on GCT buses and either 6 or 8 was the permissible amount of standing passengers. Nowadays the buses seem to have gone over to the continental system of more standing than seated.

Can anyone explain to me why standing passengers are allowed on buses, or even trains, as this seems like a recipe for disaster , even in a minor collision. It seems like madness, when we have so many safety regulations for our private cars.

Bill, I'm thinking it saves these companies financially the cost of putting on more buses and paying extra wages to their bus crews.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 11th Jan 2011, 03:36pm
Post #84

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (angel @ 11th Jan 2011, 04:35pm) *
Bill, I'm thinking it saves these companies financially the cost of putting on more buses and paying extra wages to their bus crews.

Yes, Angel but I was questioning whatever happened to the normally extreme health and safety regulations. Can you imagine the carnage with unrestrained bodies flying in all directions?

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 11th Jan 2011, 03:47pm
Post #85

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Standing room only on a bus has been common practice since ever I can remember.

But I'm surprised the Health & Safety people have not yet caught on to it yet as they do with a lot of their interference in other things that can only be described as petty.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 11th Jan 2011, 07:27pm
Post #86

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Jan 2011, 11:02am) *
I am " amused" by your reference to only 6 allowed standing on buses. Many years ago, I did a summer stint as conductor on GCT buses and either 6 or 8 was the permissible amount of standing passengers.

Bilbo, the reason I said only 6 is that the maximum number of both seated and standing passengers is written on the inside of the bus, numbers standing is usually some daft number like 15. On a cold wet night when you want home for your tea, health and safety is he last thing you worry about laugh.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
angel
post 11th Jan 2011, 07:50pm
Post #87

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 11th Jan 2011, 02:14pm) *
Yes, Angel but I was questioning whatever happened to the normally extreme health and safety regulations. Can you imagine the carnage with unrestrained bodies flying in all directions?

Well Bill, after all these years of allowing standing passengers on public transport no matter what the number, I doubt if the powers that be will ever stop it, it truly is carnage waiting to happen but I suppose like everything else,it will take probably several "carnages'" before the law is enforced or changed for that matter.

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
angel
post 11th Jan 2011, 08:16pm
Post #88

Mega City Key Holder
Me again,.....during the war years I believe that the standing passenger's rule was raised from six to eight ,stretching to ten, reason being not enough public transport and was supposed to go back to six or eight after the war.

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 11th Jan 2011, 08:36pm
Post #89

Mega City Key Holder
Guess I am flogging a deid horse here. I am amazed that so few people are concerned about their own safety. I still maintain that it is incongruous to have us all belted-up in cars while allowing whatever number of people to travel standing up in buses, trains and undergrounds. Inter-city coaches have recently been fitted with seat-belts - is that just because they go faster? Are passengers in slower moving city buses immune from injury? I do not think so

BTW I am all in favour of seat-belts as they definitely saved my life on one occasion, but I am certainly not happy " strap-hanging " on any form of transport, even if my tea awaits.

--------------------

+Quote Post
angel
post 11th Jan 2011, 08:49pm
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
Asi es la vida, not unless someone comes up with a better plan.

--------------------
Pat.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.