Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

27 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Common Irish Surnames In Scotland, Irish surnames commonly found in Scotland
Rating 5 V
RonD
post 31st May 2012, 10:38am
Post #376

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Glass is from Glas, meaning green or grey in Gaelic.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
pumps100
post 31st May 2012, 03:31pm
Post #377

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,333
I am a Purcell through my mothers line. My Gt Gt grandfather was a shoemaker in Freshford in Kilkenny.

Regards

Ian

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Jun 2012, 09:42am
Post #378

Mega City Key Holder
Purcell is from the French "pourcel" through the Normans and means "little pig". Who knows in what context the name was given. In Scotland, which sounds like purse was often used as a translation for MacSporran.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
barbaramay
post 14th Jun 2012, 03:18pm
Post #379

Settling In
Member No.: 11,928
You missed our name prior

+Quote Post
RonD
post 16th Jun 2012, 10:09am
Post #380

Mega City Key Holder
Prior is usually Anglo Norman in origin, it is from the office in the abbey that was second to the Abbot. Your ancestor may not have been a prior but someone who was employed by the Prior or may have the satirical name for some who given the name by neighbours and friends. In Cavan and Leietrim it was prorbalbly from MacPhriora an Gaelic Irish version of the name

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Sean*
post 20th Sep 2012, 06:59pm
Post #381

not to mention Annis
have researched in Enniskillen for several years and could find no Annis nor Ennis families in County Fermanagh. Peader Livingstone of Broomfield Parochical House, Castleblayney, Ireland (County Monaghan) wrote extensive published histories (700 pages each) of County Monaghan and County Fermanagh from BC to 1980. I corresponded with this elderly gentleman who insisted no Annis nor Ennis family name was recorded on ANY pre 1700 record in County Fermanagh. He wrote that it was common for a young man to say he was born in an English stronghold (as Enniskillen was at that time) when he entered an English controlled colony such as the Massachusetts Bay Colony. It would have been foolhardy to portray ones self as an enemy. Not only that, Cromwell forced ship loads of young Irish soldiers to be shipped to the colonies so they wouldn't continue to cause trouble.

QUOTE (Paul Kelly @ 3rd Aug 2007, 08:22am) *
I have never heard of the Halfpenny surname before but I have just done a little research on it. Despite the fact that a small English Halfpenny Planter family probably settled in the east of Ireland in the 17th century, it seems that the majority of Halfpennys in the east of Ireland are descendants of the native Gaelic Irish O'hAilpin family who adopted Halfpenny as the Anglicised version of their surname in the years following the 17th century Plantations in Ireland. In the west of Ireland, the O'hAilpin surname was usually Anglicised as Halpin.

In post #163 I was discussing the Irish surname McAteer and the Scottish surname McIntyre and the intermingling of these 2 surnames. In a similar vain, McArthur is a Scottish surname originating in Argyll. The McArthurs are said to be related to the Campbells of Argyll. During the 17th century Scottish Plantation of Ulster a number of McArthurs settled in Ulster. The McArthur surname is often spelt McCarter in Ulster - this is how an Irishman would pronounce the McArthur surname! However, it seems that a few of the Scottish Protestant McArthur/McCarter Planters in Ulster adopted the native Irish McAteer surname. Moreover, in post #163 I said it appears that most of the 19th century Irish McAteer immigrants to Scotland had their surnames recorded correctly as McAteer. However, there is some evidence that a few of the 19th century Irish McAteer immigrants to Scotland had their surnames recorded incorrectly as the Scottish surname McArthur.

The native Irish McGuinness (sometimes spelt McGinness or Magennis) surname originates in County Down in southeast Ulster and the surname is commonly found throughout Ulster. McInnes is an unrelated Scottish surname. It seems that a few Scottish Protestant McInnes Planters settled in Ulster in the 17th century and most of them adopted the native Irish McGuinness/Magennis surname. It also seems likely that a few of the 19th century Irish McGuinness immigrants to Scotland would have had their surnames recorded in the Scottish form of McInnes.

In the same way, I am sure there has also been some intermingling of the Irish surname Ennis and the Scottish surname Innes.

+Quote Post
*Anthony Keith*
post 6th Oct 2012, 09:43am
Post #382

My great3 grandfather was born in Sutherlandshire in the 1790s. His given name was Sullivan Keith. This given name is also found in his mother's Ross family. I also found McEarthy (var. of McCarthy?) families in Caithness in the 1700s. Both McCarthy and Sullivan names are found mainly in the Southwest of Ireland. Does anyone have ideas as to how these obviously Irish surnames appear in the Northeast of Scotland before the famine?

+Quote Post
**Barbara**
post 10th Dec 2012, 07:16pm
Post #383

Looking for information on the McFadyen/McFadden ancestry. I have street names of Craft St., Alexandria by dumbartonshire, Mr. Francis McFadyen #2 St. (J)ames?st. Paisley road, glasgow southside, Mr. James MCfadyen 125 Bridgate street Glasgow. Or James Courtney?

+Quote Post
RonD
post 27th Dec 2012, 01:49pm
Post #384

Mega City Key Holder
Other than possibily mariners who decided to stay on they may have been families that did seasonal work on farms and then stayed.

--------------------

+Quote Post
cathy52
post 27th Dec 2012, 03:44pm
Post #385

Super Resident
Member No.: 11,625
where does the kinsella and potts names come from

+Quote Post
alybainfan
post 27th Dec 2012, 05:04pm
Post #386

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,290
My Maternal great grandparents Elizabeth and Patrick Cassidy moved over to Scotland during the potato famine

Their offspring married into the Scottish Campbells, and eventually the Cassidy name was lost to the Campbell surname through the generations.

I have no idea which part of Ireland they were from but I have an idea it might have been Fermanagh!

+Quote Post
marcam7
post 27th Dec 2012, 11:20pm
Post #387

Visitor
Member No.: 7,824
Best couple of hours spent in a long time,shocked when i heard of the death of Paul a fountain of knowledge ,when doing my own tree i found out three out of the four sets of grandparents had all come over from Ireland in the early 1800s,as a patriotic Scot i find something good in that, gives me more songs to sing !!

+Quote Post
RonD
post 28th Dec 2012, 05:08pm
Post #388

Mega City Key Holder
So true marcam, every Scotsman has an Irish Granny!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 28th Dec 2012, 06:22pm
Post #389

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Not quite true, Ron - in my case it was a great, great granny ! smile.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 28th Dec 2012, 09:40pm
Post #390

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Wow, Bill is actually admitting to having Irish blood in the family. laugh.gif

My paternal g'g'parents were both Irish and although my paternal g'dad was born in Glasgow, he was raised in Ireland. He came back to Glasgow when a young man and started his own Horse & Cart Business. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post

27 Pages V  « < 24 25 26 27 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Jul 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.