Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Robroyston Boundary Battle Commences, Greenacres for Glasgow of Bishopbriggs?
GG
post 31st Mar 2009, 09:42pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
What could become the most bitterly contested boundary battle in Glasgow's recent history has commenced involving the possible transfer of a huge tract of land from East Dunbartonshire Council to Glasgow City Council. The move could involve land valued at hundreds of millions of pounds, and include land at Robroyston considered to be of major national historical importance.

The contested land at Greenacres in Robroyston, currently under the control of East Dunbartonshire Council, is now subject to an official review by the Local Government Boundary Commission (LGBC) for Scotland. LGBC wrote to the two local authorities in January this year, asking them each to make a representation setting out their views on the initial proposals by early March 2009.

East Dunbartonshire Council (EDC) replied (2nd March 2009) by setting out a list of three main objections to the proposed modification of the boundary:
  1. EDC has allocated a large part of the land in question to building an affordable housing site to the rear of the 'Aldi' supermarket. The council argues that it has third highest net need for affordable housing of all Scottish Councils, and failure to provide affordable housing on the land could seriously impact on its ability to act to address the compelling need for affordable housing in the area.
  2. EDC claims that should the loss of the land go ahead then it foresees a potentially problematic rise in the number of school placing requests linked to EDC's former ownership of the land, or placing requests citing access by siblings to East Dunbartonshire schools.
  3. EDC foresees an increase in the council tax for residents in the area affected should the move go ahead.
Glasgow City Council has (according to minutes of the Executive Committee on 6th February 2009) agreed to support the proposed LGBC modification at Greenacres, Robroyston, and has subsequently submitted a report to LGBC outlining the council's view in relation to the initial proposal.

According to the minutes, the considerations of the LGBC's initial proposal for a boundary modification are that:
  1. the existing joint administrative boundary between Glasgow and East Dunbartonshire Councils cut across the Greenacres Estate excluding from Glasgow a number of properties in Wallace Drive, Wallace Place and Wallace Gate; and
  2. the LGBC proposal was to shift the boundary further north to Auchinairn Road which, if implemented, would transfer from East Dunbartonshire Council to this Council 42 houses, a supermarket (which was part in Glasgow and part in East Dunbartonshire) and an area of open space.
Photographs of the area in the initial proposal:

Attached Image

Looking from Auchinairn Road on to Greenacres

Attached Image

Driving north from Glasgow into Bishopbriggs

Attached Image

The Aldi supermarket is half in EDC, half in GCC

Attached Image

The site where EDC wants to build affordable housing

GG.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can access the following documents online:

From East Dunbartonshire Council:

LGBC review – Robroyston – Glasgow City / East Dunbartonshire

From Glasgow City Council:

LGBC - Initial Proposal to modify boundary at the Greenacres, Robroyston

GCC Executive Committee's Minutes, 6th February 2009

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 31st Mar 2009, 10:01pm
Post #2

Administrator
Group Icon
Google street map view of the area.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 3rd Apr 2009, 02:10am
Post #3

Resident
Member No.: 546
I had some photos of Wallace's Well which is situated just east of this roundabout, which, I think is the Auchinairn/Standburn Rd junction there is it Martin?? Anyway, this old Scottish Treasure looks as if they've set the wrecking crew on it already.
If you're unaware ot the History of this area?? Sir William Wallace was betrayed in a wee bothy by the Lumloch and is reputedly used this wee burn, my childhood haunt, to quench his thirst. A Monument to Him is situated on this road, further west of the Well. I grew up on Wallacewell Rd. from 1947-1959 and I'd hate to see these Tributes/Places named after our GREAT SCOTTISH HERO disappear in the name of Corporate GREED! ...... and we cry "Scot's Wha Hae!"?? we'll 'Hae' nuthin' left if it's left to this Council, STOP IT! if you can.
Och! ah forgot, this is jist another part o' rural Springburn/Robroyston to be eradicated and .... WHO CARES??

I for one, will e-mail these soul less Bazzas and educate them on the History of the area ... Jimmy Reid lived there, don't you know?? ha! ha!

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Apr 2009, 02:33am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Can a petition help here?
Is there already one ?
Is there some kind of movement to stop this barbaric action ?
Where do I, and other like minded, append my name ?

GG are you there ?

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 3rd Apr 2009, 03:43am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
I care, its in ma blood.

This is sacred ground, as yet unruined.

Its been a wee bit tidied up since I was a wean. And I hope it is staying that way.

Gawd help me.

No to greedy property developers and ubiqitous fat (with the s missing, to be PC), food keech.

Is it a sign of the times, or am I getting auld.

Both, I cannea stop getting older, but I can try to help stop this destructive rot that has done more, in recent years, than 2 world wars to rip the heart out of Glasgow.

Wallaces Well

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
championi26
post 3rd Apr 2009, 08:54am
Post #6

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,968
Heres a nice old image of Wallace's Well

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Apr 2009, 11:22am
Post #7

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Jimmuck @ 3rd Apr 2009, 02:39am) *
I had some photos of Wallace's Well which is situated just east of this roundabout, which, I think is the Auchinairn/Standburn Rd junction there is it Martin?? Anyway, this old Scottish Treasure looks as if they've set the wrecking crew on it already.

Yes Jimmuck, it's just 5-10 minutes' walk from the junction at Standburn Road. I'm afraid to say that there has already been serious intrusion on the environs of the Robroyston Wallace Monument, but the real danger just now is to Wallace's Well as it has NO protected status. In effect it could disappear overnight if the developers got their narrow-minded* way!

GG.

(* I should add that that narrow-minded view is also seriously destructive to the long-term interests of the city of Glasgow. These developers are harming what I consider to be THE most important site of national interest in the whole of Glasgow. From a tourist perspective alone the site's importance is beyond measure. That no-one is standing up for the interests of the city over short-term profiteering is scandalous... absolutely scandalous.)

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Apr 2009, 11:26am
Post #8

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 3rd Apr 2009, 03:02am) *
Can a petition help here?
Is there already one ?
Is there some kind of movement to stop this barbaric action ?
Where do I, and other like minded, append my name ?

GG are you there ?

I think it's too late for just a petition here TeeHeeHee. I'm about to complete a small website to inform the public about what has been going on and how we got to where we are today regarding the monument and well. I should be finished it very soon, this weekend hopefully. I will email all members once launched. It's a small step, but something has to be done.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Apr 2009, 11:35am
Post #9

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 3rd Apr 2009, 04:12am) *
I care, its in ma blood.

This is sacred ground, as yet unruined. ...

Well said Rabbie!

I care also and I'm glad to see others do. What has been done so far to the area surrounding the monument is an insult to the memory of a man who fought and died for his country.

The issue of the monument and the proposed redrawing of the local government boundaries are linked because Glasgow City Council at one time refused to name any new streets after Wallace, however the three streets the council now wants transferred to it are Wallace Drive, Wallace Place and Wallace Gate. Irony is the mildest word I can use!

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 4th Apr 2009, 11:37am
Post #10

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (championi26 @ 3rd Apr 2009, 09:23am) *
Heres a nice old image of Wallace's Well

Nice photo championi! Do you know the date? I should be able to use it in the new website (see above) as I suspect its copyright has expired.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 4th Apr 2009, 12:33pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Used to walk awe the way up from Toonhied to the Well and Monument jist about every Sunday for years when I was a wean. Had some piccies that my Da took in 40's and 50's, but they have got lost over the years.

Came over the 1/8 mile bridge over main railway line, just past bus 38 bus terminus at Station Rd, up along the wee lane past Saughs farm, and did that place whiff up. Looks like it is still there, but I am not sure if its still a proper farm.

Here is the a street image of the Monument, the trash in the background is an absolute disgrace and has no place near such a national treasure.

Wallace's Monument

Compare the 2002 google map with the Street view to see the difference.

I hope fur the love of Gawd that the well disnea end up a garden feature of this encrouching mess.

I know there was a old pit near the well, just up the road to the North. If it is ever built on, I hope it opens up and swallows all the vandals that have contributed, in the name of pure greed, to destroy our fine and histroric country.

I nearly had a flying fit when I saw that Robroyston Hospital had gone, only to replaced with a souless, sprawling, legoland mess, and the placement of another carbunkle on the landscape, yet another quick build, aircraft hanger type supermarket.

Grrrr..

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
championi26
post 4th Apr 2009, 03:17pm
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,968
Its is said to be 1904 GG...

I take it the copyight has expired....it is currently for sale on ebay 4.99

+Quote Post
murn
post 4th Apr 2009, 09:36pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,825
QUOTE (GG @ 4th Apr 2009, 07:55am) *
I think it's too late for just a petition here TeeHeeHee. I'm about to complete a small website to inform the public about what has been going on and how we got to where we are today regarding the monument and well. I should be finished it very soon, this weekend hopefully. I will email all members once launched. It's a small step, but something has to be done.

GG.

Will look forward to seeing the Web Site, found this little pic in my searches.

From Glasgow Digital Library

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 5th Apr 2009, 12:10am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Just scrolling back up then scrolled back down again for a look at the "two old guys".
Classic.
That must have warranted inclusion GG.
Looking forward to the website.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Jimmuck
post 5th Apr 2009, 01:58am
Post #15

Resident
Member No.: 546

Rabbie, wizzatt the Quarter Mile Bridge next tae The Bad Boys Home,the name escapes me bit ma Pal might show up an' tell us furr she knows loads
aboot that area, living doon the road fae it.
Anyhoo' if it wiss Rabbie, did ye go an steal the rhubarb in thae fields therr an' we used tae go in thae big Galvie Tin huts an' get Mushrooms furr oor Maws
Rhubarb an' Mushrooms furr tea, eh??

G.G. ah hope ye get sumthin startitt an' ah'll pitt a Link oan ma "Springburn Place" site an' try an' drum up mair support!
Being brought up oan Wallacewell Rd. we wurra coupla fields away fae the Well an' many's a day wiss spent battlin the English in yon wooditt area jist up fae
it. Ah know thae 'Pits' an'aw Rab, it wiss either 'The Lumloch' or the wan further oot Stepps, Bonny jist telt me the name o' that wan an'aw an'na furgoat!
Ma first wife's Uncle Tommy, fae Muirhead, worked in that Pit.
S'funny ye never mentioned Hogganfield Loch china?? how many times did we paddle in that 'big puddle' or rent a boat, go efter swan's eggs an' get scared
tae death when thae big helions chased ye aroonaboot the lochside trying tae brekk yurr legs or yurr neck wae yon big wings?? Yabadabadooooooo'

Must look oan oor photae threads an get some Wallace's Well photaes furr this ..... http://springburnplace.proboards.com/index.cgi?

--------------------
"Watch Yurr Mooth!"

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.