Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Bands In The 60s, The Golden Crusaders and the Dream Police
Rating 5 V
Dexter St. Clair
post 2nd Feb 2005, 12:00am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
BBC 4 are doing a series on British jazz and it featured a great interview with saxophonist Bobby Wellins.

This post has been edited by Dexter St. Clair: 2nd Feb 2005, 07:35am
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 27th Feb 2005, 08:47pm
Post #32

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
Talking about the Clyde Valley Stompers, does anybody remember the Paisley Back O' Town Syncopators? Think the drummer's name was John McKay, who I worked with in a Glasgow shipping office. He also was a trumpet player.

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post
Russ
post 19th Mar 2005, 03:04am
Post #33

Unpacking
Member No.: 176
No one has mentioned "The Average White Band" although from the mid 1970 -77 era. Seemingly Billy Connolly recorded a few tunes with them. We in Canada missed a lot of the Scottish entertainers in their beginnings. However, Gerry Rafferty and Donovan Leitch and of course Lulu were mega stars in North America. And lets not forget Sheena Easton. Fabulous voice and wonderful "Eye Candy". Someone mentioned "Marmalade" a few letters back. Just a humungous hit their "Reflections Of My Life". It still holds up even today. Been away for awhile. Just dropped by to say "Hello". SEEYA! Russ

+Quote Post
johnt0215
post 9th Apr 2005, 07:38am
Post #34

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,895
Hope I'm not to late regarding this Forum but reference the Blues Council definatelly the best band in Glasgow in 1964 1965 I remember them playing as the resident band in The Bagatelle Club (the old church at the top of Dundas Street where the Buchanan Gallerys are now) also the Scene Club West Nile Street (building demolished recently).
Purchased their single "Baby Dont Look Down" at a benefit gig for the band after the accident.(still have the single)They were involved in a crash on the A8 heading back to Glasgow after a gig in Edinburgh.
Cant remember if the benefit gig was in the Locarno or Barrowlands but it was a who's who of Glasgow bands at the time.
Thought theyd be the next big thing at the time but not to be.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 9th Apr 2005, 08:26am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks for that. There's been a wee bit of discussion where ballrooms were and I think before everything is demolished we should pin down where the clubs were. The Scene Club was where in relation to the Bay Horse pub which was the bit of West Nile Street recently demolished?

Where was La Cave? Midland Street?

I was in the Sub Club on Thursday night at 18 Jamaica Street seeing a sixties styled R&B band the Boogaloo Invetsigators. And i was talking to the club manager about the similarities of his basement club to places where groups played in the sixties. He had been informed that the club was on the site of the old Jamaica Inn. I'm thinking that was in the seventies. Can anyone tell me what was on that side of Jmaica street. Further south towards the Bridge was McSorley's then the Australian consulate than a department store.

+Quote Post
johnt0215
post 9th Apr 2005, 09:27am
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,895
The Scene Club was about 2 closes down from the junction at Bath Street just before the pub it was 2 flights of stairs up a close.( If my memory serves me well)
Was closed down after a horrific murder of a bouncer.
As for the Boogaloo Investigators great wee band remind me of my lost youth!!!

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 9th Apr 2005, 02:05pm
Post #37

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
i was there at the scene club the night of the murder.the guys who did it.ran past us on the stairs.a well known sculptor was charged with it

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 10th Apr 2005, 02:43pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (aaron king @ 9th Apr 2005, 03:22 PM)
i was there at the scene club  the night of the murder.the guys who did it.ran past us on the stairs.a well known sculptor was charged with it

Are you sure about this Aaron?

In 1977 Hugh Collins murdered William Mooney in a fight in the Lunar Seven, a pub which was just 50 yards away from The Bay Horse.It was on the corner of Buchanan Street and Bath Street. The Scene club was long gone by then.

Whilst in jail Collins took up Sculpting.

+Quote Post
aaron king
post 10th Apr 2005, 02:53pm
Post #39

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,776
aye dexter the doorman was a young man from milngavie.he got murdered by jimmy boyle.the doormans name was paton

+Quote Post
jasminkeenan
post 22nd Aug 2005, 10:15am
Post #40

Settling In
Member No.: 1,235
A while back I stated that Ian Clews had passed away....I was speaking with a family member yesterday, who told me that he had a drink with him and Timmy Donald[ex Pathfinders} in the '"Oran Mhor' in the west end of Glasgow, a couple of weeks ago.
I read the info on his so called passing on another site, Glasgow Bands.
Apologies for the wrong info.

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 22nd Aug 2005, 07:30pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
You were not the only one who thought he had passed but a fellow sixties fan got news he was alive and well and breeding horses in the USA.

Here he is in the sixties

+Quote Post
jasminkeenan
post 23rd Aug 2005, 07:27am
Post #42

Settling In
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 22nd Aug 2005, 08:47 PM)
You were not the only one who thought he had passed but a fellow sixties fan got news he was alive and well and breeding horses in the USA.

Here he is in the sixties

Hi Dexter,.........My brother-in-law in the sixties, managed a shop where all the band members would hang out, it was called 'skin' they sold leather jackets etc, also Jan, my brother-in-law, got to know the band well, and became a roadie with the Pathfinders, he lives in the Clyde Valley now, so does not hang out much in Glasgow, He mentioned that Ian Clews frequents the Oran Mhor on a regular basis, with Timmy Donald, and some other musicians from that era.
A far cry from breeding horses in America I would say!!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 23rd Aug 2005, 06:40pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
I'll shall pass your comments on to my more informed mate and I shall look out for the boys in the Oran Mor the next time I'm talking to Colin Beattie.

Rocking Scots

And here's Clewsy on his ranch
tongue.gif

+Quote Post
jasminkeenan
post 24th Aug 2005, 06:31am
Post #44

Settling In
laugh.gif

This post has been edited by jasminkeenan: 25th Aug 2005, 08:04am

+Quote Post
clbirkett
post 27th Aug 2005, 08:31am
Post #45

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,317
I remember "Dream Police" playing in my home county of Cumbria (am I allowed to say that), another band I remember in the early 70`s were "Inner Sound", I used to roadie for a Cumbrian band called "Pendulum" and we were very friendly with Inner Sound, and played some gigs with them (the Lido at Silloth, Kendal Pop Festival etc,) they were a great band, and a great bunch of lads, if fact the bass guitarist Davie Powe, married a Cockermouth (my home town) girl and still lives here in Cockermouth, one of Pendulum`s gigs was a one night stand at Portree on Skye, I now have a albino rat (Westie) called Skye, so there must have something about that night, if any of this rings a bell please reply..... Charlie

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.