Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Bands In The 60s, The Golden Crusaders and the Dream Police
Rating 5 V
Shamus
post 3rd Nov 2004, 11:00pm
Post #16

Super Visitor
Member No.: 16
I remember the poets ..and if I also remember right they made the top twenty,which in them days,was no mean feat,I went to see them at the Flamingo in Cardonald,which was a dance venue .. only problem that night was there was no chance to dance .. it was standing room only ..I had a good friend from Nitshill who was lead guitarist with a group called "The Kismets" ..Who played regularly at the "Big Co" in Paisley..to listen to thier sounds live was indeed a priveledge .. I followed the band for years only to be kidnapped by my wife who still has me tied in knots tae this day ..some lovely posts folks ..brings back some memories ..(sigh) ..Tx .. wink.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 4th Nov 2004, 07:59am
Post #17

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,451
"I had a good friend from Nitshill who was lead guitarist with a group called "The Kismets" ..Who played regularly at the "Big Co" "in

You're teasing us group fanatics. Who was in The Kismets and what and exactly where was the "Big Co"? Thanks for your memories.

+Quote Post
Linky
post 26th Nov 2004, 12:58pm
Post #18

Visitor
Member No.: 1,588
As an ex member of 'the House of Lords' ..what no mention yet sad.gif best band at the time was the Blues Council, remember them blowing Georgie Fame & his BF's away...think it was at the old concert hall. Frankie Miller of course our band alternated with the Deljaks early 60's at the Castlemilk community centre. also Alex Harvey's BSS @ the all nighter club top flr(above Forbes the music shop) Leslie Harvey was with the 'Silhouettes' at that gig
also the Pathfinders...sorry to see the main man has passed away!
Somebody should try and pull whats left of the groups and hold a reunion ...ahhh dream on.....and to finish who remembers the Empire Cafe? across from McCormacks when all the bands (incl myself! ) used to fire up in 'poser' mode and swan about on Saturdays

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 26th Nov 2004, 05:32pm
Post #19

Super Visitor
Are you in this Photograph, Linky? Six names and five players.

http://www.howwood.com/paintings/trakkers1.htm

+Quote Post
Linky
post 26th Nov 2004, 06:49pm
Post #20

Visitor
Member No.: 1,588
No Frank not that particular picture(out of shot!) but on the other one with Manfred M,Joe McCann the Howwood artist is the ex keyboards/rhythmn guit of my original band.....great site by the way

+Quote Post
russ567
post 11th Jan 2005, 11:39pm
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,690
Re: Christian...The answer to everything.

I remember owning an LP with this song on it, pretty sure it was just called "Christian"
If anyone still has this album i'd appreciate it if they could let me know and we could try and stick it onto cd.
I just love that song and it's pretty impossible to get

Anyone remember the Bay City Rollers, Nazareth etc from the Big O in East Kilbride

+Quote Post
Rosiedee
post 12th Jan 2005, 12:17am
Post #22

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,691
My favourite were Beggars Opera who played regularly at Burns Howff. I went to see them every Sat afternoon, then went to the Electric Gardens at night to watch Tiger Tim glide on stage with his black cloak.

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 12th Jan 2005, 07:58am
Post #23

Super Visitor
I wasn't a big fan of Beggars Opera but my friends were. My girlfriend's pal went out with Ricky Gardner. This would be 1970/71. Was Tiger at the Electric Gardens then? The first time I saw Tiger was at Clouds up above The Green's Playhouse . I'm sure he was in a Frog's suit. And I mean a green costume not a wet suit as worn by a frogman.

You had to get in the Burn's Howff early (6:30) if you wanted a seat to see the band. I rember seeing trays of pint beer glasses 2/3rds full sitting on the bar which they topped up jsut before the waitresses carried them over to your table. Another aquaintance of mine Cliff Hanley jr or Clifford as he was known to his writer dad, painted the illustrations at the Howff. Young Cliff (we were all young then) also played in bands one called the Motels or the Models or something.

+Quote Post
Rosiedee
post 13th Jan 2005, 12:19am
Post #24

Special Visitor
Member No.: 1,691
Yes Frank, Tiger Tim was at "The Gardens" then, much to my surprise when I think back too. You are right when you say 1971. I was 17 then, plastered in make up trying to look older so as I'd get in to the venue and served at the bar. Wish I looked 17 now. I loved clouds too, going up there in the elevator. Saw loads of bands in Greens Playhouse too, T-Rex, Family, Sailor, to name some.

+Quote Post
leeninaus
post 14th Jan 2005, 02:47pm
Post #25

City Key Holder
Member No.: 191
May, are you sure the "Fireflies" were Glaswegians? I remember seeing them probably in 1966 maybe a year or two later in Sunderland! They were in the "Crowtree" in Sunderland with the Quandowns... both groups had just returned from Hamburg.. I went specifically because an old school pal of mine was in the "fireflies" as drummer!

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 14th Jan 2005, 07:17pm
Post #26

Super Visitor
There were probably more than one set of Fireflies and like the Beatles probably both groups were thinking of a name similar to The Crickets.

I think there's a photo here and a wee bit of a story.

http://www.sunnygovan.com/GF/A-E/Christian.html

+Quote Post
jimbhoy
post 15th Jan 2005, 12:16am
Post #27

Visitor
Member No.: 1,489
remember seein beggars opera at clydebank town hall aug 1970. they were supported by a group called port louis from airdrie. bought the beggars album 'waters of change' at the time. its now worth a few quid
seen the dream police a few times hamilton trocadero etc rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
anne
post 15th Jan 2005, 10:57am
Post #28

City Key Holder
Member No.: 35
Hi to all, thanks for the story on Chris Mclure. My husband Iain went to school (Bellahouston) at the same time as him and Andy Roxborough. He remembers Chris being the goalie and Andy being the centre forward, while Iain played whatever position they would let him LOL.

Anne Perth Aussieland cool.gif

+Quote Post
carmella
post 16th Jan 2005, 05:56pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I have to agree with Linky on this one, the best band at the time, for me, was the Blues Council.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
betty2
post 1st Feb 2005, 10:43am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 56
The Clydevalley Stompers

They did it for me back in the 50's

still here in glesca rolleyes.gif

--------------------
still here in glesca

+Quote Post

21 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.