Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow Bands In The 60s, The Golden Crusaders and the Dream Police
Rating 5 V
kemlo
post 1st Oct 2004, 12:54am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,462
Can anybody remember all the great bands of the 60s including the Golden Crusaders, The Dream Police, Chris McClure Section and of course Alex Harvey, Dean Ford and the Gaylords (later Marmalade)

I moved to Sheffield in 1967 but I remember the bands in Glasgow, Lanarkshire and Ayrshire dancehalls.

Dave Beatle smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
big al
post 1st Oct 2004, 07:18am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
What about my favourite - the Blues Council - still think it was a tragedy when Fraser Calder got killed - I often think that John Byrne's Tutti Frutti was based around that accident.

Remember Pram .....there were so many that were good and lots more who were pretty bad too...

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 1st Oct 2004, 12:46pm
Post #3

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,451
David Belcher presents a soul show on Glasgow's newest radio station Saga 105.2 FM and I've sent him a couple of memories about Scottish bands who featured songs originally recorded by black American singers.
David is on air on Friday evenings at 20:00 BST and you can listen online at

http://www.saga.co.uk/1052fm/pages/index.asp

You can e mail him during the show with your dancing memories.

Here's a story from the early days of Alex Harvey

The first group of musicians to call themselves a soul band hailed from Glasgow. Known as the New Saints they were a jazzy blues influenced outfit and were working in Hamburg long before the Beatles. Singer Alex Harvey was reading jazz magazine (is there a Viz connection here;) and was attracted to a review a blues Ville album called “Soul Jazz” The next day Alex Harvey and his Big Soul Band were born. Their first single was a Willie Dixon song originally recorded by Muddy Waters. It was later covered by all sorts of acts from Ann Margaret to the Rolling Stones. It wasn’t a UK hit till 1996 when Etta James' recording of I just want to make Love to you was used in a Coca Cola TV advert. 36 years after recording the song she appeared on Top of The Pops live from Chicago.

+Quote Post
carmella
post 2nd Oct 2004, 11:00pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Muddy Waters one of my favourites.

I loved Status Quo - though not a Glasgow band of course.

Travis; Texas; Gerry Rafferty (Stuck in the Middle); Simple Minds; Del Amitri; Frankie Miller and the Bathers (lesser known wee band).

Great times tae, haha!

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
May
post 4th Oct 2004, 10:57am
Post #5

Visitor
Member No.: 1,071
I remember Chris McClure and the Fireflies, The Pathfinders ( what a dancer Clewsie was) and my favourite group, The Beatstalkers. I met my husband while hitchin' a lift to Edinburgh. He stopped and gave ma pal and I a lift. We never made it to the dance. He got lost. Years later he told me he did it deliberately so that he could take me home and get a date. 37 years later we're still together, but I still hanker after Davie Lennox

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 4th Oct 2004, 08:17pm
Post #6

Super Visitor
Just for you May

Check this out

http://www.mccartneyt.freeserve.co.uk/bstalk.htm

Was there a favourite song of yours the group sang? I know Chris Mcclure did The Answer to Everything ( originally done by Del Shannon I believe) but what was davie's big number?

+Quote Post
May
post 5th Oct 2004, 12:53pm
Post #7

Visitor
Member No.: 1,071
Thanks FrankM, I loved the website. They were just BABIES.

Chris McClure did sing the Answer to Everything. He also did a cracking version of 'Get off my Cloud'. Davie Lennox tended to sing American Blues, Motown etc. One of my favourites was ' Gypsy Woman', although I think that was Alan Mair who sang that. They also sang '6345789', I'll Be there" Knock on Wood' Painted Black, You Better Move On' and 'Needle in a Haystack'. Oh! happy memories.

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 5th Oct 2004, 07:01pm
Post #8

Super Visitor
Thanks very much May for your kind reply. A good mix of chart hits and obscurre soul songs. The only one I don't have on a single by the Original artist is Gypsy Woman by the Impressions. I must have heard them all played by a Glasgow group in some shape r form.

Does anyone else have memories of a favourite song played by a local group. Or of hearing a record at a youth club or on a juke box or at a record session. Maybe even in between groups at a club. Where and when did you hear a song which became a favourite?

+Quote Post
jasminkeenan
post 10th Oct 2004, 09:17pm
Post #9

Settling In
Member No.: 1,235
Kemlo & Frank M,
The Dream police were my real favourites, I used to rin their fan club, along with that of a band called the Jaygars, headed by Jack & Jimmy Mc Culloch, fom cumbernauld, Jimmy went on to be lead singer with Thunderclap Newman, who had a hit with "something in the air". Jimmy then went on to play with Paul Mc Cartney and wings, sadly he died of a drug overdose.
A Dream Police guitarist, Hamish Stewart went on to play with "Wings" for many years.
Sadly Ian Clews, from the Pathinders is now dead, I remember the last song they always played.it was "please stay" but I cannot remember the original singers.
Anybody else remember Les Harvey, brother of Alex Harvey he was the boyfriend of Maggie Bell, from Stone the crows.

Try .......www.rockingscots.co.uk

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 11th Oct 2004, 07:18am
Post #10

Super Visitor
"Anybody else remember Les Harvey, brother of Alex Harvey he was the boyfriend of Maggie Bell, from Stone the Crows."

I saw Les and Maggie and was it Jimmy Dewar when they were the Power at The Burns Howff on a Saturday evening. They were very good and Maggie particularly good on vocals. I think she had been singing in the house band at the Locarno with maybe the Bobby Patrick Six. Possibly Les was in that band too. I think Bill Patrick was in Alex Harvey's Big Soul band. Anyone care to confirm or correct the above?

I suppose I should check out the rockingscots web site rather than depend on my dodgy memory. Thanks for the tip.

+Quote Post
jasminkeenan
post 11th Oct 2004, 07:28am
Post #11

Settling In
Member No.: 1,235
Frank M, Your info takes us all back to the years spent in Glasgow, frequenting dance halls like the Picassso, the Underground/Pink panther, and so many more, its good that there is such a site as "rocking scots", and If people like to use it to refresh the memory then its doing a good job....don't think it mentions Maggie Bell though, your info about them is brilliant she was/is a brilliant vocalist, incidently she is living in Rotterdam, and doing very well.

ps, "Land of a thousand dances" was a favourite, usually covered by The Pathfinders,do you remember it?

+Quote Post
anne
post 11th Oct 2004, 10:22am
Post #12

City Key Holder
Member No.: 35
Hi to all. My young brother had a band called the Poets and they played around Glasgow and then went to London, they made a couple of ep'S.......Regarding Chris Mc lure He was at school with Iain ( Bellahouston Academy) and he was the Goal keeper in the school team..Also Andy Roxburgh one time Scottish team manager was the centre forward...Just a bit of trivia.. We used to go to Burn's Cottage at Paisley Rd toll, next to the Grande old Opry and there was a good band in it.....The group came to a party we were at and as was Glasgow parties then we all had a sing song, the singer was asked to sing and he said he only sang for money.....someone through a penny at him and said now sing...he left...We partied on.

Anne Perth Aussieland cool.gif

+Quote Post
FrankM
post 11th Oct 2004, 08:55pm
Post #13

Super Visitor
ps, "Land of a thousand dances" was a favourite, usually covered by The Pathfinders,do you remember it?

I do remember it as the theme music for a while to Ready Steady Go. I've got recordings of it by Chris kKenner (the original) Cannibal and the Headhunters (he added the Na na na na bit when he forget the words) Wilson Pickett (the hit version) and an instrumental by Sandy Nelson the one legged drummer.

My favourite band were The Stoics with Jim Dorris and Frankie Miller. They did a great version of Looking for a Fox written by Clarence Carter. I had the great pleasure of meeting Frankie about twenty years ago whilst he was on tour. He was still in good voice and a good laugh too. He was appearing on Radio Clyde on Tiger Tim's review show along with a particulary nippy sweetie of a journalist. She was of the NME build them up and knock them down school although she did not believe in building them up in the first place. I advised Frankie to growl at her which he did and not a nasty word was heard from her all evening.

He played to a full house (sorry about the pun) at the Mayfair (formerly The Electric Garden) with a superb band with Simon Kirke on drums.

+Quote Post
linzeh
post 25th Oct 2004, 10:00pm
Post #14

Lord Provost
Member No.: 338
the boweevils did it for me.........was in awe of their psychedelic painted van runnin' about Penilee...

--------------------
not all that glitters is gold... not all who wander are lost

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 3rd Nov 2004, 08:07pm
Post #15

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I remember The Poets, Dream Police at the Electric Garden in the late sixties, early seventies. I also remember Monday nights "underground" nights and many, many bands playing there. I have them all in my diary. Sad case, huh? I kept a page a day in 1970 and it does give me a laugh looking back.

GQ

+Quote Post

21 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Jul 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.