Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Tollcross & Shettleston, "Adjusting" my memories
Catherine
post 5th Aug 2005, 02:27pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 57
And anither.... biggrin.gif

--------------------
Oh ahv jist fun anither button...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
carmella
post 7th Aug 2005, 07:32pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Excellent idea Catherine, not only does it give an introduction to what the Bardau was into from music to all sorts - but it also helps the newer members to understand the sentiments which have been thus far expressed by longer board members.

Might also be an education for some, as she was very knowledeable eh?

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
big al
post 7th Aug 2005, 08:50pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 42
Just for a walk down memory lane I went into thebard's profile and then went to all of the posts she had sent in - took me a long time to look through - brought back a lot of memories and a lot of laughs - I had forgotten how many jokes she had sent in - also got ticked off by her in a couple of posts big style - hang head in shame - but got praised in a couple so - hold head up again.

try it if you knew her - try it if you didn't - worth an hour of your time....

what a lady

--------------------
That'll be the day........

+Quote Post
isa
post 28th Aug 2006, 05:30pm
Post #34

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
Hello,
just wondering if anyone lived in Ardholm street in the early 60's, number 41 to be exact, any info would be great,
many thanks
isa

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
*pauline edwards*
post 26th Nov 2007, 11:17am
Post #35

Hi I've just discovered this site & am amazed to find so much on Shettleston. My 2 brothers & sister & I grew up near there in the 50s & 60s and went to St Paul's School. What a shame that's all gone now. Are there any other St Paul's past pupils out there?

My uncle was a dentist in Ardholm Street on the corner with Shettleston Rd. His name was Michael McGrane and my mum was his receptionist. I wonder if anyone out there had their teeth pulled or filled by him. I remember so many of the places you've all mentioned - the Odeon Cinema, Keogh & Savage, etc but does anyone remember The State Cafe , the State Cinema. The State and the Odeon were our regular Saturday haunts with a ice cream at the Cafe afterwards. Great times!

+Quote Post
Rockajock
post 5th Dec 2007, 04:22pm
Post #36

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,728
QUOTE (wombat @ 5th Dec 2007, 12:00 PM) *
looking for my sister helen fitzpatrick and brother hugh fitzpatrick from old shettleston rd 52 to 58 era we knew the boyles and the sharkeys from shettleston me an ma da moved to brigton after ma ma died 6 yrs after tae be exact about 1958 da remarried an we moved tae oz in 1967 so its been a wee while since ive seen ma ainfolk. ; 40 yrs .we lived at 280 old shettleston rd my da had 5 brothers tommy wullie james peter and patrick and 1 sister mary who was aclippie for years she lived in elvan st there must be some rellys fae a mob like that.im their younger brotherbrian im 55yo and live in australia . any info would be great cheers .

contact> bfitz@live.com.au

+Quote Post
Rockajock
post 5th Dec 2007, 04:31pm
Post #37

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,728
I was born in Shettlesaton Road too at 1090, just opposite where The Snooker Hall was. I went to Eastbank - just beside where you lived (we called that building Honeymoon Terrace because when it was first built it was mostly newly weds who got the houses.

Visit Our Website

I left school in 1947. Later moved to Greenfield, Dennistoun, Easterhouse, Barlanark, Possil and finally Springboig where I still live. I was almost in Oz in the early 60s but my wife took cold feet at the last moment. Didn't want to leave her Mum and Dad and family. I had fixed up a job, house and transport but had to cancel it all. Have cousins over there.

My Email address is tonyrockajock@btinternet.com

Tony Jaconelli
[attachment=9720:At_Amulree_St_3.jpg][attachment=9720:At_Amulree_St_3.jpg]

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 6th Dec 2007, 12:10pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
Hi Rockajock, I too was born in Shettleston 49 Annick St which no longer exists and mah da wis the bookie there knew quite a few people in shettleston as that wis where ah hung oot as a teenager, we moved tae Carntyne when I wis aboot three but still hud relatives oan Annick St. I also knew some people in Springboig in fact a couple of mah pals wis frae there and I also worked for the Canda before I went oan to become a clippie oan tha caurs doon at Parkhead Depot.

+Quote Post
*Guest Millymouse **
post 21st Dec 2007, 09:58am
Post #39

Hey Betty are you still around. I lived in Shettleston Rd, the building next to the church corner of Wellshot Rd./ Shettleston Rd My Dad had a wee shop in Wellshot rd, they called Milne's My name is Sandra Milne

+Quote Post
*David Kirk*
post 28th Jun 2008, 05:51pm
Post #40

QUOTE (scotslad90 @ 13th Aug 2003, 09:48 AM) *
Don't know the old east end at all but anytime I am over at that side of town I am always amazed at the regeneration that has gone on over the last few years especially around the Forge.Does anyone know where in the Tollcross area Stewarts and Lloyds was based, believe it was a large foundry that was still operational back in the sixties and seventies.
Stewarts and Lloyds used to be parallel to Carmyle Ave,. and the main entrance was on Tollcross RD Just west of Carmyle Av and Killin St intersection

+Quote Post
*jim giffin*
post 23rd Apr 2010, 10:03am
Post #41

shettleston is a great place to live. if any murders or something seriose it happen in shettleston even know it happen in tollcross or carmly or anywhere in the east end shettleston get the blame for it it was because shettleston got vote the poor place to live .i love to know who came up with that its not fair to blame shettlesto everytime something happen.it annoy me big time that we been put down to everything they should get they facts right newspaper before they print it. amurder happen in easthill st in tollcross but same as usal the said it happen in shettleston. it happen all the time.this is facts it might be becuase the police station is in shettleston. our mp should help us frank mac,vervary should do something about it. just blame shettlesto all the time.

+Quote Post
kslaven
post 21st Nov 2014, 02:17pm
Post #42

Unpacking
Member No.: 27,147
Hi Sandra

Just wondering if you are the Sandra Milne I used to know as a young tot playing shops and houses out the back. I lived in 836 Shettleston Road. If so, I still feel bad about throwing the toy gun at you. It's been on my conscious ever since. I have been in contact with Bill Stewart and he said you were in Tasmania if you're the same person. I'm Ken Slaven.

QUOTE (Guest Millymouse * @ 21st Dec 2007, 10:15am) *
Hey Betty are you still around. I lived in Shettleston Rd, the building next to the church corner of Wellshot Rd./ Shettleston Rd My Dad had a wee shop in Wellshot rd, they called Milne's My name is Sandra Milne

+Quote Post
kslaven
post 21st Nov 2014, 02:20pm
Post #43

Unpacking
QUOTE (kslaven @ 21st Nov 2014, 02:34pm) *
Hi Sandra

Just wondering if you are the Sandra Milne I used to know as a young tot playing shops and houses out the back. I lived in 836 Shettleston Road. If so, I still feel bad about throwing the toy gun at you. It's been on my conscience ever since. I have been in contact with Bill Stewart and he said you were in Tasmania if you're the same person. I'm Ken Slaven.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 21st Nov 2014, 02:31pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Hi, Ken. Millymouse is indeed Sandra. Try sending her a PM on here, although she doesn't seem to be on here much. I have emailed her with your GG address on here, as I don't think it is protocol to give you her email address without her say-so. smile.gif

BTW I recognised her right away, after 60 years - something about the eyes !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
kslaven
post 21st Nov 2014, 05:56pm
Post #45

Unpacking
Hi Bill

Yes I sent a message today so hopefully she will reply. I probably spent more time with her than anyone else funnily enough and as you say I'm sure I will recognise her or at least believe that I have.

Ken

QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 21st Nov 2014, 02:48pm) *
Hi, Ken. Millymouse is indeed Sandra. Try sending her a PM on here, although she doesn't seem to be on here much. I have emailed her with your GG address on here, as I don't think it is protocol to give you her email address without her say-so. smile.gif

BTW I recognised her right away, after 60 years - something about the eyes !

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.